The problem with Opeth

Originally posted by Demonspell
I'm a major progressive rock and metal fan (listening to Spiral Architect's Fountainhead right now) and love Opeth...but I know that a lot of old guard proggies are incredibly resistant to any trace of metal in a progressive content...

I am too a fan of very varied kinds of music, but Opeth is definitely easier to swallow for someone with a metal background than for someone with only a prog-rock background IMO. The harsh vocals being the main turn off for those people... (which I like - dynamics rule!)

Originally posted by Mikhail Capone

Opeth is progressive, but they are also definitely metal.

Try to make most prog heads listen to Opeth and you'll see what happens... (I'm talking about fans of YES, Gentle Giant, Kansas, King Crimson, etc)

I could not agree more w/that point!

I witnessed it firsthand at the radio station I work at. I tried to get the prog DJ to play BWP when it first came out...I thought it was gonna get bloody ~L~

For those of us who live in America, we all know stupid and narrow-minded the American music industry is. They don't want to hear anything that doesn't conform to a 2 minute shallow piece of crap that they call music. They cannot recognize true art when they hear it. Ignorance makes people say things like the thingsthat were said in the magazine. As for the musical style, I think that Opeth is so creative and origional that it would be foolish to even try to place them in a single category.

the fanbase has expanded. fortunately, the band doesn't give a raving fuck about that and writes music to please themselves and not obsesive fucks like ourselves.

if the records are gaining larger market share and higher sales, than feel good that there are more appreciative listeners and decreasing numbers of n'sync fags.

its more important for the masters to create signifant music for the history records and musical conoseurs, than for YOU to be some sort of individual 'coz you listen to the "different stuff"

www.forevernogs.com

Originally posted by nogs00
the fanbase has expanded. fortunately, the band doesn't give a raving fuck about that and writes music to please themselves and not obsesive fucks like ourselves.

if the records are gaining larger market share and higher sales, than feel good that there are more appreciative listeners and decreasing numbers of n'sync fags.

its more important for the masters to create signifant music for the history records and musical conoseurs, than for YOU to be some sort of individual 'coz you listen to the "different stuff"

www.forevernogs.com

I repeat it just for the record: it was an observational article, I don't see a problem with the larger fanbase at all, I'm not trying to be 'different' (it's so trendy to try that :) ) .

"The Problem with Opeth" is more like a problem with some misguided fans - but since I have nothing against ambiguous titles, it will stay that way.

NP: Opeth - MAYH

now that i look back.... that message was a bit hostile
and not intended to be that way. i was pretty jaded
on bourbon at the time... so i apologize
if you took that wrong :)