Opeth and religion

What is your religious worldview?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soon sheep will rise up and protest the generalisation of the word 'sheep' and demand singular references.......ship?!?:erk:

Baaaaaad joke

affinityband said:
actually speaking of racism, In england the song 'bah bah black sheep' has now been changed to 'Bah bah Rainbow sheep' Thats fucking atrocious.
Thankfully PC not got as far north as scotland yet, just quized the kids (5&7), still black here! one aternative suggestion they gave me was bah bah pink sheep, not got any wool.

BloodyScalpel said:
I'm not gonna deal with any god related consequences(god isn't the subject of study of science anyway and this thread is retarded enough as it is)
The universe is expanding. However, this is misunderstood as being like the expansion related to pressure difference(like, the pressure inside the singularity before the big bang was bigger than the pressure outside, thus exploding), when it's actually an expansion of the time-space continuum itself. I remember seeing an analogy somewhere that if you get two points in the surface of a rubber baloon and blow it, they'll get further and further, so to an ant walking on it, it would seem like the 'space' was expanding. Think in 3d and voilá. There's a lot of mathematical refinement involved, but one can basically think that all other points in the universe are moving away according to a function of the distance - the farther away a galaxy or star is from us, the faster it moves, and there is a distance(called hubble's distance if I recall correctly) where this speed exceeds the speed of light. However, that doesn't mean that everyone inside this boundary is confined nor implies that the universe is infinite or finite or whatever. According to calculations based on redshift(no it's not doppler effect) there have been detected stars with recession speeds several times larger than the speed of light.

EDIT: CAIRATH beat me to it - btw, read 'the universe in a nutshell' too

Well I never saw a religion thread there.
i was acualy looking at that book in the shop. but i dont think i wasnt wrong as i checked it on the einstein website what exactly was a load of rubbish, but we wernt talking about the exact same thing so it wasnt like i as wrong and you wer right

ok i figured it was the faster than light thing, i got the from a school discusion and an einstein program that said that as an object moves the speed of light it increases in mass or weight and stops it from ever getting faster than light, but then isnt there the theory that if you travel faster than light then time stops? and getting to a place in the universe in an instant you would travel back in time or something? please correct me, coz its interesting. but its not just me that thought that so i cant be totaly wrong( the light thing)

Kenneth R. said:
uh dude, atheist =/= satanist.
As you (may?) have already posted, believing in satan is different from worshiping satan. I believe in satan, and demons, evil spirits and various other flameworthy beings, but I do not worship them, rather I despise them.
IMO christians cannot deny the existance of satan, as there is no good without evil (and the bible says so; enough for some people). So athiests must also assume there is no satan. That might not be news to most people, but I find it interesting that despite the percieved trend of satanism in metal, most metalheads would deny satan's existance.

remeber 72% of americans belive in the acual devil with horns and a pointy stick

cuntface said:
i was acualy looking at that book in the shop. but i dont think i wasnt wrong as i checked it on the einstein website what exactly was a load of rubbish, but we wernt talking about the exact same thing so it wasnt like i as wrong and you wer right

ok i figured it was the faster than light thing, i got the from a school discusion and an einstein program that said that as an object moves the speed of light it increases in mass or weight and stops it from ever getting faster than light, but then isnt there the theory that if you travel faster than light then time stops? and getting to a place in the universe in an instant you would travel back in time or something? please correct me, coz its interesting. but its not just me that thought that so i cant be totaly wrong( the light thing)
That's what's misunderstood about the universe expansion theory. It's not a movement THROUGH space(dealt with the special relativity theory), it's an expansion of space ITSELF, that is, there's absolutely no restriction to the speed that the expansion could reach. Actually, because the recession speed increases with distance, it's likely that the faster it moves, the faster it accelerates(ever heard about the big rip theory? It's based on that concept)

affinityband said:
remember 72% of marks theorys are bullshit...... Prove it homeboy.
whjlwe my theorys arent 72% bullshit anyway it was just off ricky gervais or BB was just a joke i have no idea if its right

That is almost true... There is also to take into consideration the effects of gravitational and other attractive forces which oppose the expansion (both of which are solid theories) and could result in a universal collapse-ending. All of this has little to do with religion, except in that no theory can yet explain or propose a scenario from which all the matter that detonated in the universe's birth came from. If it came from a direct conversion from energy, then somehow this energy must have come from something. If instead it was 'always' there, then we must define always, since time itself is a real (albeit arbitrarily measured) variable, and thus since it proceeds from one state to another, there must be an initial state. In short, barring a complete breakdown of the laws of conservation of matter among other issues, matter cannot 'poof' from nothing. That matter, energy, and these other fabrics that construct our universe exist at all is evidence for external influence, again barring that we are absolutely wrong about the laws of physics. Surely some will argue that conditions were different then, but then how can they be so certain of how the event took place? I believe most scientists argue a slightly different state, but not a complete breakdown.

BloodyScalpel said:
That's what's misunderstood about the universe expansion theory. It's not a movement THROUGH space(dealt with the special relativity theory), it's an expansion of space ITSELF, that is, there's absolutely no restriction to the speed that the expansion could reach. Actually, because the recession speed increases with distance, it's likely that the faster it moves, the faster it accelerates(ever heard about the big rip theory? It's based on that concept)
yeah its about the universe just expaning so fast that the dark energy get out of control and begins to start tearing apart the universe, stars, solar systems pretty much everything untill the universe is gone. wiping out the exsitance of time....correct me if im wrong

I'm working on a machine to localize that effect. If I manage to build it, just tell me any name of a country you want black-holed.

USA plz kthx. really.

Yeah I was gonna do that anyways, but I thought that was obvious. I was just asking for a second country, everybody wants to destroy the USA, geeez that's common knowledge.

Heckelgruber said:
I think he's actually too grim and frostbitten for any other BM enthusiasts to go near, so he'd be forced to sit there grimly spooning his own brains into his mouth until he has a tapping fit.

:err: maybe i could start a 1 man band:loco: .actually people are drawn to me in real life(i never understood why)probably because of the mask I wear, you would never guess that I am so grim and evil.

proglodite said:
As you (may?) have already posted, believing in satan is different from worshiping satan. I believe in satan, and demons, evil spirits and various other flameworthy beings, but I do not worship them, rather I despise them.
IMO christians cannot deny the existance of satan, as there is no good without evil (and the bible says so; enough for some people). So athiests must also assume there is no satan. That might not be news to most people, but I find it interesting that despite the percieved trend of satanism in metal, most metalheads would deny satan's existance.

Yes, I belive in satan and aknowledge his presence in my life and choose to do things his way.Which in turn makes me a satanist.But I do not worship him.
After all god created all men and angels after him, even Lucifer. He was just the first to rebel and to exploit his dark side.

Treitan said:
Back to the subject though, all it takes is a bit of logic and common sense (and of course you'd need to stop the stupid teenage rebellion issue) and you'll see that darkness and eternal damnation is not particularly pleasant.

I do belive in justice(it may not be fair)but it serves a purpose of keeping things in balance.I know I will be judged to more suffering, but...

"Once in Hell Devil is your only ticket out"

Status
Not open for further replies.