Definitive Opeth?

Which song defines what Opeth is all about?

• In the Mist She Was Standing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Apostle in Triumph

• To Bid You Farewell

• For Absent Friends

• Windowpane

• To Rid the Disease

• Total voters
i'm gonna have to say "when"; it's one of my fave songs...it has a little bit of everything--some cool layered distorted/acoustic riffs, a couple hooks, tempo changes, an acoustic passage, solos.... :kickass:

You're right Gunhaver. Their style is consistent throughtout all their albums, except "Damnation", of course, which is an excellent album in its own right, even though it is out of character.

I voted for "The Drapery Falls", simply because, for me, it embodies everything that Opeth does so well:

1. You can't deny it's got its seriously heavy passages

2. It's also well-endowed with the very melodic 70s prog rock episodes

3. It's got that death metal roar

4. It's got great clean vocals too

5. It's NOT a 2:59 radio-oriented choon, so it deosn't end before it's even got started and there's plenty to get your teeth into

6. It's got intelligent lyrics (I'm no Satan-worshipper – I knew how to rebel as a kid)

7. It really rattles my Zimmer frame just the way I like it!

'Scuse me while I wash my neck before the lynch mob arrives.

CQ

See – I'm behaving, moonlapse :D

Gunhaver said:
yea but basically every opeth song has those things (excluding damnation of course)

exactly. thus "when" could be considered as one of the more definitive opeth songs; it has many elements that are staples of the opeth catalog.

If one song defines opeth it would have to be Black Rose Immortal. The length of the song, the way the song weaves a beautifuly sad landscape of emotion is worth the listen alone. Not to mention the progressive instinct running wild trough the whole song. :hotjump: