The problem with Opeth

Aug 10, 2001
www.musiquemachine.com
I just wanted to point out the editorial column that I just wrote about Opeth since I think that some people around here might be intersted (duh!).

http://www.MusiqueMachine.com

here is an excerpt:

I think that the problem with Opeth is that they are too good at what they do for their own good, but before disagreeing, let me explain the context.

I remember a few years ago, Opeth had very few fans, but those were mostly into this brand new thing that didn't really have a name. Some called it dark metal, whatever. The important thing is to know that this subgenre of metal is formed of many hybrid bands that mostly sound nothing like each other but shared one characteristics: originality.

So as I was saying, Opeth was unknown to most, but the fans they had loved it! And they were so good at what they were doing that many of these fans became obsessed by the band; it became they favourite band, they raved about it on music forums, wrote praising reviews about this 'glorious & perfect' band that had changed their life, etc.

the rest at http://www.MusiqueMachine.com

:loco:

Interesting idea you put forth there..

I tend to agree, well, on some levels. I think that the world isn't open-minded enough for Opeth quite yet. The people love what they love, and anyone who challenges that (by adding clean vocals, or conversely, death vocals) will be rejected.

Opeth lives in a niche that hasn't yet been carved. A few (us) have found a place in our hearts for the superbly talented band, but some people can't be bothered to change their daily routine and accept something (heaven forbid) NEW.

Hmm.. that's all my mind will pour out right now.. I'll likely come back with more nonsense later.

Did it :) Thanx :) Yeah I also agree with you in some respects. People are constantly trying to fit Opeth into something they're not. I don't think this means they are to good tho, just that they are hard to accept if you expect them to be something before listening to them, don't realise that they can't easily be pigeon holed. I defininitely don't agree they are to good "for their own good", i think that can only be a good thing, even if it means they have less sales...

I think that the world isn't open-minded enough for Opeth quite yet

I think your wrong about that. The 'world' shouldnt be open minded at least musically. Look at what happened to 'metal' music. Everyone accepted it because it was in the form of 'nu-metal'. Do you really want the rest of the world, and you know how stupid most of them are, to accept Opeth and to listen to them at an every day basis, thinking that those people are the same people that listen to pop music and blah blah? (Ok that sentence was too long hehe)

some people can't be bothered to change their daily routine and accept something (heaven forbid) NEW.

Hmmm how can some people accept something they dont like?
In my opinion, its better if Opeth arent known. Cause the few of us will enjoy the music and thats what matters no? If Opeth cant live through their music then its their problem. They once said they lived in almost poverty before entering the studio i think. They knew that the metal underground wouldnt bring them millions. Of course they are very talented musicians, but i know its not the only reason you listen to them.

Ok enough of me talking shit.... :p :p

One thing I have to say....
I do not think that this is Opeth's fault, or problem. It's just the people who don't take the chance to understand the beauty and greatness of this band. Ready for any sort of comments if any at all... :rolleyes:

Opeth, in the music world, is too sophisticated and intelligent.

You've all met one of those people that seem to tower over you. Their presence just seems overwhelming.

That's how I think Opeth presents themselves to the music world. They are anything but simple - they combine various music methodologies (ie: growl vs. clean vocals) along with unusually longer songs on average. Not many people have experienced this. Most listen to mainstream radio, and after time, there aren't many differences in the music they hear.

I have a difficult time explaining to people what Opeth means to me (even though I won an autographed Blackwater Park CD for answering this question). They hit a music nerve deeper than all other bands.

Kind of a nice problem to have (maybe not money wise, but to me, the listener).

Opeth is more suitable for the person who has an appreciation for music in general rather than the person who is only a casual listener of music.

Okay, next update of the site I will add this because it seems that many people have been misled by the title of the article and believe that I think it's the band's problem instead of people's problem.

[This is a little clarification that I'm adding because of all the feedback I received: this article is just an observation on Opeth's journey in the musical sea, it is NOT about any literal problems with the band (don't let the title mislead you), I am not saying that their popularity is a problem, I am not wishing that things be different... I am just sharing this reflection of mine with you because I find it interesting and I don't know many other bands who are going through that right now (not in this magnitude). I also want to say that my choice of words may have made things
appear worse than they are - Opeth is not getting that much flak - but since the aim of this article was mostly to explain the situation, I had to focus more on this small negative element rather than on the praise they are getting from all their new fans -Mikhail]

Just a little further explanation..

When I say "Opeth are too good for their own good", I don't mean it literally of course, but also, imagine if suddenly Solefald became as well known as Opeth and power metal fans were exposed to it.

Some guys would be having a conversation..

"hey dude, heard the new Iced Earth.. Yeah, it rules.."

"I've heard about this Solefald band"

"I've heard it, it's crap"

Of course it's not crap, but people who have never heard anything like it will think it's crap and that's what I was trying to explain in the article - why I think that those things happen.

It was just an observation, not a complaint or anything. It has nothing to do with how good Opeth is - it's about the listeners.

i am a big opeth fan and i don't really care about what other people think about them. from what i have read in interviews, opeth is very independent of people's opinions. i am confident that they will always make the music they want to make and it will never be affected by anyone's criticizm but their own.

Originally posted by apollumi
i am a big opeth fan and i don't really care about what other people think about them. from what i have read in interviews, opeth is very independent of people's opinions. i am confident that they will always make the music they want to make and it will never be affected by anyone's criticizm but their own.

That's what I believe too and I never said the contrary.

Originally posted by Kabab_k
Instead of calling Opeth 'metal', u should first state that this is a progressive music.
problem solved?

Opeth is progressive, but they are also definitely metal.

Try to make most prog heads listen to Opeth and you'll see what happens... (I'm talking about fans of YES, Gentle Giant, Kansas, King Crimson, etc)