The problem with Opeth

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
...is that I can't enjoy other bands as much right now. I'm still ridin' high on "Deliverance" (what a fitting title, as I don't like the previous album very much). But whenever I listen to any new CD I have bought (I've bought like 40 CDs the last seven months after I got myself a permanent job), I just want to listen to Opeth. They have a pretty unique, addictive sound. :cool:

Metalmaster said:
...is that I can't enjoy other bands as much right now. I'm still ridin' high on "Deliverance" (what a fitting title, as I don't like the previous album very much). But whenever I listen to any new CD I have bought (I've bought like 40 CDs the last seven months after I got myself a permanent job), I just want to listen to Opeth. They have a pretty unique, addictive sound. :cool:
In some ways, I know exactly what you mean... I definitely get the elitist 'nobody is better than Opeth' feeling occasionally, especially when I am listening to them a lot... but I make an effort to search out new music all the time, and I'm exposed to so much that I find new joys almost daily. There are bands out there that are in the same league as Opeth, but when it all boils down it's simply a matter of personal taste. Here's some stuff you may want to check out:

Dan Swanö does some great stuff with his band Nightingale... and his solo album, "Moontower", is also phenomenal.

Katatonia's back catalogue features Mikael Akerfeldt on a few albums, and their new album "Viva Emptiness" is a masterpiece.

So is the new Devin Townsend Band album "Accelerated Evolution". Devin Townsend also has a true genius piece of work in "Ocean Machine: Biomech".

Novembre is very similar in many ways to Opeth, and their re-recording of their debut album ("Dreams D'Azur") is pretty stellar.

Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" is a one-song hour-long journey that runs the gamut of styles.

Dredg makes some great softer music that's cross-genre and defies description.

You also might want to check out: Scholomance ("The Immortality Murder"), Sirrah ("Acme") and October Tide ("Grey Dawn", "Rain Without End"). All fantastic albums.

If you look, there are tons of great bands out there that are different and just as talented as Opeth; you just have to track them down.

And when you get that old elitist feeling, just remember... "Damnation" is right around the corner!

NP: Devin Townsend Band - 'Deadhead'

COnsiderateApathy said:
In some ways, I know exactly what you mean... I definitely get the elitist 'nobody is better than Opeth' feeling occasionally, especially when I am listening to them a lot... but I make an effort to search out new music all the time, and I'm exposed to so much that I find new joys almost daily. There are bands out there that are in the same league as Opeth, but when it all boils down it's simply a matter of personal taste. Here's some stuff you may want to check out:

Dan Swanö does some great stuff with his band Nightingale... and his solo album, "Moontower", is also phenomenal.

Katatonia's back catalogue features Mikael Akerfeldt on a few albums, and their new album "Viva Emptiness" is a masterpiece.

So is the new Devin Townsend Band album "Accelerated Evolution". Devin Townsend also has a true genius piece of work in "Ocean Machine: Biomech".

Novembre is very similar in many ways to Opeth, and their re-recording of their debut album ("Dreams D'Azur") is pretty stellar.

Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" is a one-song hour-long journey that runs the gamut of styles.

Dredg makes some great softer music that's cross-genre and defies description.

You also might want to check out: Scholomance ("The Immortality Murder"), Sirrah ("Acme") and October Tide ("Grey Dawn", "Rain Without End"). All fantastic albums.

If you look, there are tons of great bands out there that are different and just as talented as Opeth; you just have to track them down.

And when you get that old elitist feeling, just remember... "Damnation" is right around the corner!

NP: Devin Townsend Band - 'Deadhead'

And i would add Amorphis to the list (the older stuff), that band is certainly worth a try. The two albums i'd recommend to anyone into opeth are : 'the k(something-or-the-other) isthmus'' and 'tales from the thousand lakes'.

vintersorg was formed by members of borknagar if i'm not mistaken, i downloaded some of their songs, and they have some folk influence in them, like opeth. pretty cool music, check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd recommend Amorphis but I would recommend Elegy and Am Universum
softer stuff but definately great
ABlaze my Sorrow-The plague and Anger,Hate & Fury

manuelgv said:
I'd recommend Amorphis but I would recommend Elegy and Am Universum
softer stuff but definately great

you forgot fuckin Tuonela!!!!
its pretty decent idd! I'm not too ecstatic about them, but theyre good. But for finnish metal (its almost a genre on its own, isnt it? ;) ) i prefer Sentenced.

Kaberonie said:
I can't find any songs from Maudlin of the Well...

anyone know what P2P might have them?

They have some songs available at mp3.com, one of which is also featured on my listening station, link below. Vintersorg isn't viking metal and he accepted an invitation to join Borknagar, his last two albums have incorporated prog and folk elements with melodic death.
Agalloch's The Mantle is already one of my favorite albums of all time...

midwintertears said:
And i would add Amorphis to the list (the older stuff), that band is certainly worth a try. The two albums i'd recommend to anyone into opeth are : 'the k(something-or-the-other) isthmus'' and 'tales from the thousand lakes'.

Just got Tales from the Thousand Lakes today....... really hard to find around here! Great cd......

I thought you were going to bag on Opeth, I was about to tell you, you were gay and lying.

But yeah, I think we all get that feeling, since Opeth is the best band in the world :p

COnsiderateApathy said:

Where'd you come across this one? I've been searching for it for some time now.

diospada said:
vintersorg was formed by members of borknagar if i'm not mistaken, i downloaded some of their songs, and they have some folk influence in them, like opeth. pretty cool music, check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

Vintersorg (also known as Andreas Hedlund) is the current singer for Borknagar, but only since Simen (er... Vortex) left to join Dimmu Borgir in 2000.

Vintersorg is Andreas' solo project, which has released four albums and one EP since 1998, and is due to release another this year.

Andreas Hedlund is also vocalist for Otyg (RIP), a Scandinavian folk project; and Havayoth, a gothic metal project.

</elitist bastard mode off>

NP: cats meowing

There are some Maudlin Of The Well tracks up on mp3.com. Interesting stuff.

And, for the people who mentioned Amorphis.. their new stuff rocks too! Am Universum = awesome.

Dark Tranquillity and Arcturus are a couple of bands worth checking out, too.