Why are some Opeth fans so annoying?

Jerkface

New Metal Member
May 9, 2003
Visit site
I've met lots of Opeth fans and some are cool, but it always seems like the so-called "die-hard fans" are amongst some of the most annoying people I've ever met. They usually say Opeth like three friggin times in every sentence they say when talking about the band, which gets on my nerves pretty damn quick. Then they always seem to know very little about music and metal bands in general, and they often completely ignore other incredible bands out there because they're too busy talking about Opeth. Then when I ask what CDs they have, they never have more then about 50 and about half of them are usually Opeth official CDs and bootlegs. They also seem more preoccupied with talking about Mikeal's hair and mustache, whether their mommy likes them, and all their softer ballad-type songs then actually listening to some of their heavier songs.

It just sucks because when Opeth first hit the scene, there weren't annoying kids listening to their music and saying the band name 1000 times a day. Normal fans like myself who actually listened to the band could talk to other normal fans about the music without these trendfags ruining the conversation. We didn't only listen to the soft parts or the clean vocal parts, we actually liked it all. Now that the band is getting increasingly more popular, people like me have to deal with these losers at their concerts and message board. Damnation was released to shut these idiots up, because all they kept doing was crying the blues for Opeth to release an album of only the elements they liked, which were clean vocals and softer parts.

Sure there are still plenty of real Opeth fans out there, but I'm just tired of all the morons I have to deal with that call themselves Opeth fans. That's the problem with bands these days, when they're underground they don't get much money to record albums, they don't tour much, they don't make any money, but at least all their fans are real. Then when the band's popularity rises so does their recording money, they tour more, the band makes more money, but their fanbase changes into a bunch of total trenfags mixed in with the real fans.

Ah well, that's my rant for today, and if you question what I said, you're an Opeth trendfag.

Ah in fact I hate this Opeth forum, and I hate a lot of the fans as well, you're right in most cases :)
I just like to listen to the music, and obviously others like to do so as well, but strangely enough it appeals to a lot of dickheads too. Due to them, outsiders go like "ah shit it's one of those Opeth fags". I hate it.

I agree with some things you're saying, but I really just think it's inevitable once the band gets any significant recognition

But also, I think if some new fans of Opeth are ignorant of a lot of other metal or progressive metal, it's just because they probably didn't really consider themselves much of a metal fan before and Opeth may have opened their mind to it, but who knows...

I'm a big fan of Opeth, they're my favourite band, but that doesn't make me closed-minded. I acknowledge plenty of other wonderful bands in the metal 'scene', and I don't eat, drink and sleep Opeth. I'm 14, and I've got four or five other 14/15 year olds into them. None of them are obsessive fans either, they just enjoy the band's music. In fact, I don't know a single Opeth fan offline that acts like those that you've described.

Does the fact that slightly younger and less knowledgable people are finding beauty in Opeth, really make your life that much worse? If so, I find that quite silly.

I am an Opeth fan but you know what? I dont own every one of their releases, boots, singles or whatever they released...I listen to alot of other bands and i like Pearl Jam and loads of other shit people find lame but you know what? it doesnt bother me at all...People dont know of half the shit i listen to and im not gonna tell them they need to listen to Katatonia or anything else because they wont...who cares! let people like bands...

Or just shut the fuck up, because whining only makes you as bad as the others.
Indeed

i know, some opeth fans are just sooooo annoying. they post pointless things. you know what im sayin? some of them are just assholes. you know what im sayin? if people were like me and you we would all be better.

Yeah I'd agree that opeth's fanbase is a wide range. The bunch I know including myself who are fans are fans who love their playing and want to see them work their magic on stage....the other half....I don't know they seem bent on running rampant no matter what opeth is playing....(THEY MOSHED TO CREDENCE PEOPLE!!!). During the "seating only" concert for the damnation tour in montreal, I heard many people stood and crowded those who had seats and just shouted for Demon of the Fall endlessly all night. Those fans are annoying as hell, but thank god they aren't as ruthless and don't-care-for-anything-attitude assholes that go to hardcore shows....the upcoming hate eternal/hatebreed/cephalic carnage concert should be a fun night of brawling which I'll be watching with disdane and confusion from the sidelines.

I agree, besides the ridiculous Damnation comment..

But yeah, I think it's just that annoying fans of bands which have some complexity or depth (or imagined depth) are twice as annoying, because they spend their time telling you just how complex or deep the bands are and how they're the best band in the world and how their music raises your IQ to listen to and how you should throw out all your other music because it's just not worth it anymore and what you're not a fan? It must just go over your head because it's impossible not to like unless you just can't comprehend it. (see also: annoying fans of Dream Theater, Tool).

It's much easier to stand someone who's just saying something like "MetallicA RULES!! LARS IS THE BST DRUMMER IN THE WORLD!! \m/ \m/"

I know someone who I am pretty good friends with who constatntly tells people to listen to Damnation. This annoys me to no end. I do not mind letting other people listen to Damnation, but I would let them hear their other material first and then let them hear Damnation and other clean songs. I love Opeth a lot, but I try and not mention them for a day even though, I usually end up listening to at least one album by them a day or none at all in a day. I am not afraid to say that there are usually never days where I do not want to put in an Opeth album, it just beckons me. I listen to a lot of other bands a lot too. I do in fact think that listening to Opeth requires an open-mind most of the time. I know plenty of people who and would say that they should just stick to the clean vocals and not worry about the death vocals. I think that Opeth are amazing to have some very heavy parts and have very mellow parts in their tracks. I find both very beautiful at times, not just the clean parts of the songs.

Seriously though, my friend keeps raving to me about Cradle of Filth (who I actually like, very much), and this gets me ranting about Opeth (can't help it). When I rant about Opeth to him though, he looks all uncomfortable like he doesn't want anything to do with that 'weird growling' shit. Strange how he likes Cradle of Filth but I can't get him into Opeth. Y'know, I am a bit of an Opeth fanboy sometimes, but they are far from my favourite band, which is odd. Sometimes I just get caught up in trying to get people into it because I want them to feel how I did when I first heard it. Anyways, really close-minded idiots who rant about Opeth all the time (I'm definately not like that) and block out all other music are just as bad as the worst Tool or Dream Theater fans, definately, and should piss off...the posers.