Do Fans Own Opeth?

AFairJudgement0

A fair judgement deserved
Jan 2, 2006
Guelph/Peterborough, Ontario
Hey guys,

Like many of you I recently picked up the new GR special cd/dvd disc(s). While watching the documentary, my interest was peaked when Mikael mentioned the fact that "fans think they own Opeth" (I dont have the exact quote here, so forgive me if the wording is a little off). I thought about this and really felt that his comment kind of makes sense.

I've been to plenty of Opeth shows and have paid attention to some of the conversations of fellow fans around me. A lot of people talk about how Opeth's sound has changed, how their old records were much better or vice versa. I also have noticed a fair bit of conversation about where Opeth will go with their new album (I know there has been a few threads about this already, but I haven't been able to look through them in entirety yet). Anyways, what I am trying to say is that the feeling I have got from all of this is that people do think that a band like Opeth should go in a direction that they as fans desire.

I just wanted to know what you people think about this. Should we as fans have a right to demand things from our favourite bands? Do we really have a say in what direction a band goes (whether they "sell out" and join a big record label, or remain a small band forevor).

In my honest opinion, I think that the fan in general should have very little or no say in what a band produces. I think that after 8 albums Opeth has proven to be a genuine band worthy of respect, as each album has graduated some from the last. I think that a truly worthwhile band is one that continues to create what they feel is good music, and as Mikael said in the documentary, that as a band, Opeth is not simply about metal music but is really made up of a number of influences.

Opeth has always made music for themselves, and as an aspiring musician myself, I think that making music that you as a musician will truly be proud of is all that matters. If Opeth is happy with what they have created, chances are that we will like it also if we are open to experiencing what Opeth is truly about.

If anyone has any comments on my post, or the documentary, please feel free to flame/agree, because I am really hoping to get some kind of response. Thanks!

In my honest opinion, I think that the fan in general should have very little or no say in what a band produces. I think that after 8 albums Opeth has proven to be a genuine band worthy of respect, as each album has graduated some from the last. I think that a truly worthwhile band is one that continues to create what they feel is good music, and as Mikael said in the documentary, that as a band, Opeth is not simply about metal music but is really made up of a number of influences.

Opeth has always made music for themselves, and as an aspiring musician myself, I think that making music that you as a musician will truly be proud of is all that matters. If Opeth is happy with what they have created, chances are that we will like it also if we are open to experiencing what Opeth is truly about.

That is all.

Should they own Opeth?
-No, of course not.

Do they own Opeth?
-Probably. It's the nature of music as a business today that a band's survival depends on having listeners.

I have yet to pick up the new version, so not seen the documentary yet.

I think there is a definite feeling along many fans that they have certain rights to expectations and opinions that support this statement.

I have been a fan of the band for over a decade and love the whole output. Orchid was amazing and like nothing else I had heard at the time, but I was not prepared for the love affair I would have with Morningrise. Each subsequent album has given something new and fresh to experience.

My love of Opeth has also exposed me to some other great bands and artists too.

The only expectation that anyone should have should be that there will be more great music to come, irrespective of future theme or direction. 8 great albums out of 8... so why the need for the constant speculation, label slagging, insults, etc?

The band have never been about fashions, trends or bandwagon jumping. Shame to see that some of the fans seem to miss the point sometimes. I guess some people get their kicks out of criticising something that is so special.

of course we shouldn't tell them what to do... but then again I guess Mike couldn't care less what his fans expect from any new album

At last night's show Mikael said "We don't give a fuck" at least 3 times.

Opeth have always done what they wanted and I don't think that'll change. While I may sometimes miss the feeling I used to have when (as untrue as it really was) I felt like they were "my" band just because I had discovered them on my own and few knew who they were (so I made it my duty to introduce everyone I possibly could to their music), I'm very happy for them and their success.

I'll never forget the feeling I had the first time I saw them live at a metal festival and the look of amazement on peoples' faces during and after their set. It was the best feeling in the world. I may not be so impressed with the direction they've gone (at least with their heavier music) after "Still Life" and to an extent "Blackwater Park", but that's my problem, not theirs. As long as they keep putting out new albums and touring, I'll keep going to their gigs. They're nice guys and put on great live shows. They deserve the success they now have. Perhaps some day I'll hear a new Opeth album and realise the direction they've gone has finally crossed again with where I'm going and I'll once again feel that fire I felt when I first heard them.

I think our "relationships" with our favourite bands are sort of like our personal relationships. Sometimes you and a friend could be walking down the same "path" for years then suddenly grow apart and perhaps find each other again later, or maybe you never grow apart in the first place. We don't own our friends or our favourite bands. It's life. We've just gotta live with it and carry on.

I bought them on eBay for $1500 each. Per came with a free mellatron.

But seriously, making music to please other people is what emocore bands do. Bands that make music to please themselves and don't give a shit what other people think are awesome.

But seriously, making music to please other people is what emocore bands do. Bands that make music to please themselves and don't give a shit what other people think are awesome.

Then why sign to a record label. I guess If your not making demo tapes out of your garage you must be emocore.

For awhile, I would have said, YES, the fans do own opeth, because they were regimented into a genre of music even though their taste in music ventured beyond death metal. They didn't want to change their style because they were becoming increasingly popular and so didn't want to ruin a good thing.

Damnation pretty much nerfed that. But still, for a long time, yes the fans did own opeth. My two

edit: Ulver is a good example of a band making music for themselves and not to please anyone else.

Most true artists usually say this.. "we write music to please ourselves, if the fans like it great, if they don't they can fuck off". I have heard numerous bands say this, but some bands have made changes and stuff do to popular demand. Requests from fans for bands like King Diamond, Danzig, and Helloween have been successful enough to convince sequels to past albums, im sure there are more.

Thanks for the feedback so far! People have made some great comments. What the general consensus seems to be is, is that we as fans cannot hope to own Opeth, and that all we can truly own is what they themselves produce as a band.

If this is true, then why did Mikael make a comment like that? He seemed to flip flop around in the documentary and didn't really give an answer to his comment, but when he mentioned it, it kind of made me think.

The feedback so far has been mostly in support of Opeth as being a band that makes records for themselves, but if that is the case then why would Mikael get the feeling that people feel that way? Im asking because I dont really know the answer and wonder what you guys think. Any thoughts?

Maybe Mikaels paying too much attention on comments on the web and negative reviews that he's been reading. (Example.. this Forum). I remember reading his album diary when he said "Fuck off" to those who thought that opeth was selling out bec. of their move to road runner.. Seems to me his pressured by those negative feedbacks around him.

If you want music that is exactly as you want it, make it yourself.

Don't expect a perfect record from any band, because you'll be dissapointed. They can't please everyone, they're musicians, not Gods.

Like Metallicawhat ever Opeth do is going to be bought, I wouldn't say that fans talking about what the next album will be like is wrong, nor is being disapointed with the album they got, uno we all have opinions as long as the fan isn't bagging tha artist for a "bad" new album i think critisicm (how ever you spell it) is important

fans own what opeth sells. nothing more, nothing less.

I think you misunderstood the question.

The feedback so far has been mostly in support of Opeth as being a band that makes records for themselves, but if that is the case then why would Mikael get the feeling that people feel that way? Im asking because I dont really know the answer and wonder what you guys think. Any thoughts?

Why do they sell their music if they "don't give a fuck"? Why sign to Roadrunner. It is obvious they do give a fuck - i'm sure they're selling their output to make a living and if they didn't get any income they wouldn't continue as a band. Therefore, fans = opeth.