Opeth fans! Do you have a sense of metal history?

i use to listen to what was around the house...Tears fir Fears..Genesis..Judas Priest..pretty much what my dad had..hell even Paul Simon. but now that i have gathered my own taste i have found that Opeth Suits my needs perfectly. Metallica's Black album was a decent kick into the metal world...Korn and Slipknot became bands i listned to for a short while..
someone told me about Opeth so i got the longest song possible...which was BRI and i listened to it a few times..it was decent at first but then i loved it after awile.Then the Cover of No Remorse by Cannibal Corpse was just awsome. i used to think that CC was just utter shit cause of the singer and all...but that changed quikly.
Opeth
Kalmah
Children of Bodom
Emperor
Sinergy
Dream Theater
Shadows Fall
Liquid Ternsion
OSI
Porcupine Tree

just to name a few..i ditched all the numetal shit so im happy...for now!

I am 22 years old. I have seen Opeth live 3 times. I got into metal just before metallica released their black album. I was young, and saw the video for 'One' on MTV. I use to love metallica's instrumentals, and I would long for more of their dual electric and acoustic guitar harmonies. I loved the harmonized dual guitar sound. One day, a close friend of mine from Beirut, Lebenon came to America to visit me. He brought with him a collection of cd's, which he called "death metal". I had no clue what they were, and had never heard of death metal before. He knew I loved instrumentals and guitar harmonies and melodic metal, so the first album he had me listen to, out of his hundreds, was In Flames - Jester Race. I loved it, but the growls threw me off guard. Then he put on Opeth, Orchid, and I remember being intrigued by the beautiful flower on the black backdrop of the album cover to this day. He told me "this band is cool, they have acoustic guitars and pianos, too". I loved it, but never heard Opeth again. One day, long after my friend returned to Lebenon, I found a web site that had a link to a Hammerfall song, "Where the Dragon Lies Bleeding", which I immediately fell in love with, and the Opeth song "The Night and the Silent Water". To this day it is my favorite Opeth song. I had finally found my long sought after dual guitar melodies. Some time after, I took a trip to Armenia, and found a pirated copy of In Flames Jester Race there. I bought it. I now had the first two death metal albums I had ever heard, and began my collection (only the first two Opeth albums were out at the time). Today, my collection includes,

Opeth (ALL)
Amorphis
Dark Tranquility
In Flames
Hammerfall
Old Mans Child
Children of Bodom
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Lacuna Coil
Tiamat
Death
Type O Negative
Therion
Dio
Soilwork
and so much more...

I'm going to try to wrap this up. My friend from Lebenon is an archive of music. I would visit him and we would listen to days even weeks worth of music, and he would explain to me the band background and history, bands such as At The Gates, Kreator, Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Celtic Frost, My Dying Bride, Elend, Dead Can Dance, Theatre of Tragedy, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Manowar, so many hundreds of others. I am going to leave by saying that I really hope death metal engulfs America and becomes as prominent here as it is in Europian countries, or else I'm just going to have to move ;)