To new Opeth fans.

Well I'm a fairly new fan. I got Still Life about 6 months ago and finally got into it after a few months then picked up Morningrise. I'm not overly keen on it but I got Blackwater Park afterwards and that is my favourite I think.

I got Deliverence today and so far I'm liking it. I'll see how I feel after a lot of listens although the outro to Deliverence totally kicked my ass!! :)

I listen to prog metal mainly. I was totally into Metallica then got into Dream Theater and now I love Pain of Salvation, Spock's Beard, Symphony X, Rush, Devin Townsend, Rammstein, Transatlantic, Jordan Rudess and Neal Morse. I also listen to classical music and I play guitar, keyboards, drums and bass :)

I HATE nu-metal btw. :D

Soilworker, I can't really imagine how you would blind yourself to the intent of posts that seem easy enough to understand, but you seem to be successful. Way to misinterpret, assume and then make a jackass out of yourself.

to new opeth fans, i was new back in 1996 at the we age of 14 but dont bother jumping on this bandwagon, you have missed it all the good shit, if they still play the oldies when they tour like they did the other year in bradford you will see s we bit of what it was like but now that vibe is ruined.

but i dont give a fuck, like the wise man i am, i found better things

Originally posted by iamunicron
i found better things

Like what? :eek:

still need to reply to static's question, I'm on the forum sometimes, for a while now, but not as frequent as some of you. So I can imagine you missed me. Well, I'm into metal for about 12 years now. Started with listening to the Iron Maiden, Metallica and Helloween albums of a friend's brother. Got into death metal through Paradise Lost's 'Shades of God' which I still concider one of my all time favorite cd's. Also I am pretty much into the old albums of Morbid Angel, and into At the Gates and Dismember. From then on I started to listen more and more to black metal. Mostly to Emperor, Enslaved, back to death metal; dissection, dark tranquillity and... Opeth (around '95/'96 I think). Besides of metal I listen a lot to 70's rock music. (pink floyd, camel, king crimson, led zeppelin, yes, etc. etc...) and porcupine tree. I also listen to bands from the Montreal scene, with Godspeed You Black Emperor! and the likes of them. I think that should do for an introduction.:p

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames
Soilworker, I can't really imagine how you would blind yourself to the intent of posts that seem easy enough to understand, but you seem to be successful. Way to misinterpret, assume and then make a jackass out of yourself.

Yeh, I read the post wrong and got angry. I was wrong.

I thought we sort that out already.

No need to bring it up again little man.

:eek:

Originally posted by Soilworker
Yeh, I read the post wrong and got angry. I was wrong.

I thought we sort that out already.

No need to bring it up again little man.

:eek:

Yeh, anyways, he's on my list of people to kill now. No need to worry...

;)

i started off listening to Metallica, my friend who introduced me to Metallica ( a total dick this guy is/was ) thought himself as some kind of music tutor to me because he was getting me into music, so he gave me his 'heavier' stuff like Korn which i thought was really gay and gave back to him, then he gave me his limp bizkit cd which i laughed at the first 3 songs of and gave back...

then i accidentally stumbled upon the whole swedish music scene with In Flames, then i found opeth and dark tranquillity and stuff. later on i found pearl jam and tool, radiohead, slayer, sepultura and other wicked bands.

Started like pretty much everyone else did: listening to their parent's music. I was mostly exposed to Led Zeppelin, Beatles, and Fleetwood Mac. :D The first band I obsessed over was Rush after finding "Chronicles" tucked away in the CD tower back in 6th-7th grade. I still think the world of them to this day. Next came Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, and Metallica at around the same time in 10th grade. I rode the wave of Seattle hard rock radio until leaving the state for job reasons.

I accidently discovered mp3s of Cradle of Filth on my roommate's computer, thought they had some hook to it, but the vox were mostly crap. *LOL* Introduced to Dream Theater, Symphony X and Blind Guardian about 2.5 years ago. Went on a early prog kick 1.5 years ago with Yes, Genesis, and ELP.

I discovered Blackwater Park at a used CD store in Greenville, NC a little over a year ago. The soft part of "Leper Affinity" hooked me for good. I now own every album except My Arms... which I DL'ed and plan to own eventually. Opeth is about the hardest band I can get into right now due to their quality riff and songwriting. Plus, learning to play their songs have really improved my own riff-writing skills.

I've left dozens of bands and solo artists out, including Queen, Tori Amos, Bjork, Looters, Talking Heads, Nightwish, and Dead Milkmen, to name a few. I listen to little "nu-metal", but I think Mudvayne have potential to be really good over the next few years IF they keep their nose to the grindstone.

That's most of my musical story.