Recent influx of new opeth fans

Rose Immortal said:
I should also add...it's pretty ridiculous to fault people just for liking Deliverance/Damnation or for being at an earlier stage in their journey into Opeth's music. Didn't we all start somewhere?
Valid point... but what's actualy annoying is the occasional idiot who's quite sure Deliverance is the greatest thing of all time and hasn't heard any of the other material. Similarly, people who've only picked up Damnation and want more similar music... seem to be missing the point of Opeth all together.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Valid point... but what's actualy annoying is the occasional idiot who's quite sure Deliverance is the greatest thing of all time and hasn't heard any of the other material. Similarly, people who've only picked up Damnation and want more similar music... seem to be missing the point of Opeth all together.

I guess I can see why that would seem strange and even annoying to somebody who's been a longtime fan. Still...from my perspective, I'll say that if you are coming from a different (non-metal) musical background, it does take some time and effort to adapt to the non-Damnation material. I didn't immediately build up a "tolerance" for the harder stuff, and that tolerance didn't become a true love for it right away. It was certainly worth the effort, though.

Of course, verbally whacking people over the head doesn't have good results in helping people get through that process any faster...and that's why to my mind, it's a pointless exercise. ;)