Recent influx of new opeth fans

i bet opeth HATES newbies...

Peter: "i fucking hate it when people buy our albums and come to our shows!"
Mike: "yeah, i'm about done with this music shit. its back to landscaping for me."

dorian gray said:

Mike: "yeah, i'm about done with this music shit. its back to landscaping for me."
They actually said that??!! :yow: :rolleyes:

I honestly doubt Mike really has a solid opinion on his fanbase. I'm sure he appreciates those who take the time to purchase the albums and find entertainment in it but that's probably about as far as it goes. Besides, I bet he finds some of the outlandishly ignorant post to be amusing. I mean he did take time to post about the 'Anti-Semitic' accusation. If the "oh, Mikael is a rugged, evil, pagan, n3cr0, viking" comments didn't leave him with a grin on his face I'm sure the reaction of some of the fans did the job nicely.

Rose Immortal said:
Well...with all due respect I'm not sure if that "journey" will go past Opeth. But it is good to know I didn't sound odd for my having been moved by their music. :)

I'll freely admit I've only been into 'extreme metal' for about 3 years now and it all started with a band called In Flames and a song called "Embody the Invisible." Suffice to say Soilwork, Children of Bodom and other generic melodic death metal bands followed in my collection. Opeth, however, took me another 6 months to get into the death vocals... they were just so punishing. The lighter songs were all I listened to by the band for many many months. Fast forward 3 years and I have over 1000 albums of JUST metal music (not counting my other albums). Opeth was early in my journey, now I'm at around 300 bands in the genre. I spend far more time with extreme metal than I do with prog rock, classical, symphonic and soundtracks combined, nowadays.

Cheers.

Mayberry's Finest said:
They actually said that??!! :yow: :rolleyes:

I honestly doubt Mike really has a solid opinion on his fanbase. I'm sure he appreciates those who take the time to purchase the albums and find entertainment in it but that's probably about as far as it goes. Besides, I bet he finds some of the outlandishly ignorant post to be amusing. I mean he did take time to post about the 'Anti-Semitic' accusation. If the "oh, Mikael is a rugged, evil, pagan, n3cr0, viking" comments didn't leave him with a grin on his face I'm sure the reaction of some of the fans did the job nicely.
i thought it was obvious i was joking! oh well.
what does your signature say about erik estrada? i dont get it.
CHiPs ruled.

dorian gray said:

I got into opeth not this february, but february 2003 and I joined a few months ago. I'm no newb though.

dorian gray said:
awesome! i was actually looking for an opportunity to ask you if you remembered her and to ask what happened? did she just up and roll out?
my favorite thread of all time was the one about the movie legend. jeez.

Hahaha, that was a classy thread... yeah, I beleive she just fucked off... shame... she was fun :rolleyes:

I went to a gig recently, one of those locals band ones plus a few inter-staters and one american band, but to the point ALOT of people where wearing Opeth tops, mainly the aus tour ones and deliverence hoodies, i was glad that i was wearing an emperor shirt because i didnt want to go into the same catagory as the n00bie Opeth fans who think life started at Blackwater Park, dont get me wrong not bad album but there is a leacy b4 that.

Nuk3m said:
ALOT of people where wearing Opeth tops, mainly the aus tour ones and deliverence hoodies, i was glad that i was wearing an emperor shirt because i didnt want to go into the same catagory as the n00bie Opeth fans who think life started at Blackwater Park, dont get me wrong not bad album but there is a leacy b4 that.

Learn to spell, drop the fanboyism and come around again.

Nuk3m said:
I went to a gig recently, one of those locals band ones plus a few inter-staters and one american band
I think you massively understated this show. You saw Deeds of Flesh, Psycroptic, Embodied, Earth, Omnium Gatherum, Abrasion, Intense Hammer Rage, Bowel Mouth, Fuck... I'm Dead, Befalled, Legion and Desolator. This is more than a 'gig'...

ShroudOfDusk said:
I think you massively understated this show. You saw Deeds of Flesh, Psycroptic, Embodied, Earth, Omnium Gatherum, Abrasion, Intense Hammer Rage, Bowel Mouth, Fuck... I'm Dead, Befalled, Legion and Desolator. This is more than a 'gig'...

It was an ok gig. Embodied, Bowl Mouth, Legion and Abrasion were the only bands that stood out the rest was basic generic death metal some were not even good at that.

PS 4th horsemen thank you for your wisdom and time in spell checking me, one should be so special.

Aye it sure was something other than a 'gig'. I think 'sub-par' would fit more aptly.

It may just be personal prefference, but generic Grind and Death for me do not good music make. It felt kind of strange to be one amongst many with an Opeth shirt, however, seeing as at a gig about a year ago at this time I was the only person with one on.

Word spreads quick, and Opeth are definately becoming more mainstream within the underground music community.

Come on... regardless of how generic many of those bands may have been, Psycroptic are still as original as it gets for arse kicking death metal. If you dont agree from seeing them live, perhaps you need to give Scepter of the Ancients a few more spins until you respect that talent.

Rose Immortal said:
Well...with all due respect I'm not sure if that "journey" will go past Opeth. But it is good to know I didn't sound odd for my having been moved by their music. :)

If their music didn't move me, I wouldn't like them as much as I do now. It's kinda irritating. Now I've come to a point that when music doesn't move me, I'm not able to enjoy it that much... And it's hard to find music that moves you :erk: