To new Opeth fans.

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Well...alot of what has been going on in this forum has been slightly frustrating lately. The naysaying, the finger pointing, the mindless accusations that Opeth are getting 'trendy', that the bands fanbase is being spread far and wide with people who love Slipknot and Linkin Park.

So...out of interest...to most of you people who are brand new Opeth fans, what kind of music have you liked before liking Opeth and/or what do you listen to now?

Speak honestly.

Well I'm a relatively new Opeth fan, been a listener for about a year now. Lets see, up until 9th grade or so, I was never really big into music, but when I got new friends in high school, I started getting into Led Zep, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, etc. Then, I met my friend Vin. We both played guitar, but I was only average, where he was a god, he got me into Randy Rhoads(Ozzy), Yngwie Malmsteen, and I discovered Steve Vai and Joe Satriania on my own. From there, I read a post on an internet message board about Iced Earth and Anathema, and began my foray into metal. When I got to college, I met a kid who started sending me hundreds of mp3s, lots of Opeth, In Flames, Devin Townsend, Therion, Children of Bodom, Nevermore. And thus it began. So, to make it simple...
Classic rock(Led Zep, etc)-->Guitar Rock(Satriani, Vai, Yngwie)-->Basic metal(Iced Earth, Metallica, Anathema)-->Heavy metal/prog

I'm relatively new, too. I've been listening to Opeth since Blackwater Park came out which makes it about a year now. Other music I listen to is Metallica, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, the Haunted, Iron Maiden, Dark Tranquillity, Dream Theater, In Flames etc. Not much nu-metal here... :D I basically started out with liking songs by Iron Maiden and Deep Purple, discovered Metallica and then Paradise Lost and then more and more...

I listen to Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead and a dash of Foo Fighters. Sometimes I listen to Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, and Bjork. I think that I am pretty open minded when it comes to music and I will give anything a shot.

The very first album I bought was Greenday's Dookie.....that was in the 5th grade....from there I listened to stuff like The Offspring around their Smash days....then I started to drift off the Punkish stuff and into the Grungy bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam...then into stuff like Manson, Slipknot, System of a Down and Mudvayne....then my friend Mike got tickets to see bands which I had never even heard of before....It was the Iced Earth show in NYC in April of last year where they played with In Flames and Jag Panzer....didnt care too much for Iced Earth or Jag Panzer, but In Flames really caught my attention....and from that point on I've been hardcore into the Swedish Metal scene....In Flames, Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom (yea, I know they're from Finland)....I still listen to System and Mudvayne....but those are the only bands from my pre-In Flames experience that I still listen to....

@ Bloody-B....so yea, I guess I still listen to nu-metal, but definately not as much as I used to....In fact...I only listen to Mudvayne when either plastered off my ass, or after I just smoked up....and System...I dunno....There's just something about their sound that I like....It isn't really nu-metal IMO.....

Peace...

I'm Opeth fan since 1999. First album I got was "My Arms..."
I was listening to Queen, Scorpions, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, old Metallica, Man-o-war, Iron Maiden and some drum'n'bass :p before.
I sold my soul to metal because of Opeth. I bought all band's albums ("Still Life" got released in Poland those days) in one week and a year after I became webmaster of unofficial polish Opeth site.

@ Static....Where is that avitar from....I know its from an Anime about scrolls or something....I remember seeing the anime its from, but its just bugging me that I cant put my finger on the name of it....

@Koujo Ninja Scroll maybe? its a sweet anime..

well ive been an Opeth fan for 11 days..
i like Metallica, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Skyfire, Pantera,
Dream Theater, Liquid Tennsion Experiment.....
i use to listen to a ton of nu-metal as well. i jumped that ship and found better music across seas :). slowly but surely im ditching nu-metal cds everyday!

Been listening for about a year too. First album was BWP, but mostly becouse it was the latest album at the time. Was listening alot to In Flames and the likes, and saw Opeth mentioned a lot of times, but it took until I saw a thread somewhere about BWP that I decided to check Opeth out.. and am I glad I did :)

I was listening to thrash like Metallica and Slayer until I heard Cradle of FIlth (don't laugh) and I started getting into melodic music like that. Then I found Opeth and it totally blew me away.

Originally posted by Koujo
The very first album I bought was Greenday's Dookie.....that was in the 5th grade....from there I listened to stuff like The Offspring around their Smash days....then I started to drift off the Punkish stuff and into the Grungy bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam...then into stuff like Manson, Slipknot, System of a Down and Mudvayne....
This is like EXACTLY what I was into. Same order and everything. Except the Slipknot, SOD, and Mudvayne...

Been a fan since the BWP realease, started out with stuff like prodigy (which i still like, good motorway music =D) that was when i was about 10, then moving onto manson at about 13-17 as well as stuff like mudvayne and SoD, only recently have i been into dark tranquility, in flames, opeth and borknagar, and oh what have i been missing :d

Originally posted by NightSilentWater
This is like EXACTLY what I was into. Same order and everything. Except the Slipknot, SOD, and Mudvayne...

I think that its like that for all long island kids....

What part of the Island you from?

I've been an Opeth fan for less than a year. I must say I, like many, have been changed forever. I still like some of my old cd's but many have found their way out the door. I've never been into nu-metal, grew up more during the metal to grunge era. My old bands were AIC, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam and the like. I still enjoy AIC here and there (esp the acoustic albums) and some SG and SY. My tastes in more modern music before Opeth was more in the Type O Negative range. Now I am into Arcturus, MDB, Agalloch and more of the usual suspects. Lately, though, I'm obsessed with the acoustic stuff from Antimatter. Get it now!

http://antimatter.free.fr/uk/Site Files/HomeFrameset.htm

Oh and Porcupine Tree. :headbang: (which I get to see in only 9 days!)

T