To new Opeth fans.

Originally posted by Static
Nothings wrong with avid Tool fans, back in the day I was completely obsessed. My obsession just gradually shifted to an Opeth one. I think that Tool to Opeth is something that happens naturally (if you discover them), one day you realise that your former gods Tool are no longer your idols, but Opeth are. Thats what happened to me.

ps. Tools metal...not nu-metal!

I've been into Tool since Aenima was released and Opeth since Morningrise was released, so i've been a fan of both for a while.
To imply that people 'evolve' to Opeth is so pretentious. You say 'Tool to Opeth' like Tool are somehow inferior......well..... that's your opinion. Mine happens to be different. I derive very different things from Tool than I do from Opeth, but I am able to appreciate them both for what they are.

My personal preference still rests with TOOL.

:D

Like I said, I didn't read the topic, but your comment seemed a bit haughty... and I was bored... it's so easy to get people angry on the internet...

Heh...

And don't attack me back to make yourself feel better young lad Static... it's funny...

To add to the topic... I like these types of metal: Classic, NWOBHM, Power, Thrash, Doom, Black, Death, Stoner, Metalcore, Industrial, Gothic, Progressive, Hair... a bit of Nu...

I also like Punk, Prog Rock, Opera, Classical, Fusion...

Metallica got me started, Garage Inc. introduced me into new bands, and the internet has furthered my experiences...

Tool are good. Prog in the sense that they do something original, not in the sense they can play 10000000 notes a second and play in assbackwards time sigs... nice drumming... tribal shit, reminds me of some Pink Floyd stuff...

Actually... Pantera in the 8th grade... then lots of punk ( Bad Religion, Offspring, Pennywise etc. ), and then... some harsher nu metal like Slipknot and Mudvayne and SOAD ( I still like all of them ). After that a friend showed me Lacuna Coil and I loved it. After that Opeth ( which rocked my world and is my fav. band ). After Opeth I got flooded with other metal bands. I love Hypocrisy, Bal Sagoth and some mellower stuff like Lacuna Coil ( last cd sucks :( ) and The Gathering. Ps - Just got a cd recently that's very good. ( Gorerotted, any1 knows it?

Originally posted by Soilworker
:D

Like I said, I didn't read the topic, but your comment seemed a bit haughty... and I was bored... it's so easy to get people angry on the internet...

Heh...

Yes it is easy to make people angry if you make such stupid comments, in real life and on the net.

Shhh.

Originally posted by redreflection

To imply that people 'evolve' to Opeth is so pretentious. You say 'Tool to Opeth' like Tool are somehow inferior......well..... that's your opinion.

Judging from peoples comments on this board over a long period of time. But hey, its an Opeth forum so go figure.

Tool are not inferior, thats not what I meant, simply that its something which can happen easily when someone is exposed to both groups, and enjoys both. In my opinion I just think its more possible someone would grow into loving Opeth over Tool.

Well... I think I should consider myself as a new Opeth fan, even if the first Opeth song I heard was in 98, I really got into this band this year...
I've been listening to metal for 10 years, and was (obviousely ;) ) never interrested in nu metal or this kind of shitty stuff...
My favorite bands are Opeth (of course :D ), and bands like Iron Maiden, Emperor, Arcturus, Metallica, Katatonia, Windir, Summoning, Rakoth...
So, I think I don't fit the description of the 'trendy new Opeth fan' ! :lol:

The only way I could agree with you is if you meant in terms of getting into the heaviness and dynamics of Opeth via Tool.

Opeth 'over' Tool will never happen for me. My Arms Your Hearse is the closest Opeth have come to challenging Tool's status in my book. And it came very close, I assure you. In the end, they're very different bands and they can't be compared.....blah..blah

In the end, they're very different bands and they can't be compared

That's what I think too... Tool and opeth are different, we don't have to compare them... Just a question of individual taste : I know Tool since Undertow and I really like their music, especially AEnima, I love Opeth much more, but it's just my taste. :p

The only way I could agree with you is if you meant in terms of getting into the heaviness and dynamics of Opeth via Tool.

Thats probly what I'm saying ;) . Just adding in some words along the way which make my opinion seem pretentious, such as 'over'. :D

They are musically different bands, but in terms of scope they are similar. Not just the long songs but the creativity and epic-ness they both strive for. Tool is kind of deeper, speaking of their values and goals, and methods, but Opeth is more technical and emotional. Depends which one you prefer.

Originally posted by Static
Yes it is easy to make people angry if you make such stupid comments, in real life and on the net.

Shhh.

Had me stumped for a minute... :rolleyes:

So you have heard me make comments in real life? Nice one. :D

Also, yes, I totally agree. You angered me. Your post was stupid. But it's all subjective.

Get back on topic. :eek:

Shhh.

Opeth 'over' Tool will never happen for me. My Arms Your Hearse is the closest Opeth have come to challenging Tool's status in my book. And it came very close, I assure you. In the end, they're very different bands and they can't be compared.....blah..blah

I know this post wasn't directed to me, but I agree with you that they're very different bands and shouldn't be compared. However, before I was just challenging your assertion 'the depth and complexity of their music is unrivalled in modern music' refering to Tool. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I did and still do like Tool, however I wouldn't class them in the same league as Opeth. My post before wasn't a flame, I guess I was more just shocked that an Opeth fan would hold Tool in such high regard. Anyway, to each his own, dispute over.

Tool was my favorite band since 1996 with Aenima.... and when I got Lateralus, i didn't think anything could beat it.... I had it in my cd player constantly..... it was the greatest cd ever..... and it still is one of the best, but eventually Opeth was just too much.... now tool are in 2nd place for me....

The fact that you consider Tool in the same category as Staind, Linkin Park and Mudvayne proves you have no idea.

They might not be "nu-metal", but they are all lumped into the same category correctly: garbage. And yes, they are beyond me. I'm just a mental midget commenting on what I can't ever possibly understand. Meh.

Originally posted by calx
damn, am i the only one who listen to artist like bjork? it seems that everyone only listens to metal.

I don't listen to Bjork, but I -do- enjoy stuff like Sneaker Pimps, Fiona Apple, Nine Inch Nails, et cetera. I've been into Opeth since 1998, right when my metalness had began. Before that, I listened to nothing but Korn/Metallica/Soundgarden. Then, a friend of mine in a local band told me to check out three bands: Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and At The Gates. After that, I found Opeth mp3s on some site [as well as Summoning and Dissection] and I was born again. The first Opeth song I heard was The Twilight is My Robe, and it's still my favorite song.

My friend got me into Opeth about 2 months ago. I listened to Black Rose Immortal & The Drapery Falls and I was hooked. I now have all of their albums. The bands I listened to previous to uncovering the gem known as Opeth were, among my favorites: Metallica, Blind Guardian, Zao, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, TOOL, Van Halen, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Eagles, Ben Folds Five, Rush, Beatles, Boston, Creed, Death, Demons & Wizards, Korn, Megadeth, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Eric Clapton, Gun N' Roses, In Flames, Jane's Addiction, Rage Against The Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Strokes, Stone Temple Pilots, The Who, Pantera, Doors, System Of A Down, Helloween, Stratovarius, Rolling Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Santana, Children of Bodom, Immortal, Ozzy Osbourne, Slayer

Yes, I like bands like Linkin Park & Slipknot but I don't put them on the same musical & technical level of bands like Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, & of course Opeth among others. On the other hand, I don't mind popping in an album by LP or Slip every once in a while. I rarely ever listen to the radio or watch MTV though so I'm not really aware of what everyone's problems with those bands are. I could really care less if someone thinks I have no musical taste because I listen to bands like LP, Slip, or even Creed. Why do so many people put down others' musical tastes thinking their's is the one and only almighty one? I'm perplexed by all the name-calling I see others put on others just because they don't like a particular band. Well, that's all I have. This is my first post & I'm glad I found this board. BTW, I got Deliverance and I'm currently on my second listen through, on Master's Apprentices. I'm liking it alot. Well, I'm out. Later.

I've been into Opeth for about a year and a half.. BWP was my first album but I quickly bought MAYH afterwards. At the time I was (and still am) listening to a lot of Maiden, Anthrax, Motorhead, and Slayer. Opeth was one of the most unique metal bands I had ever heard and every time I listened I loved them more. After I saw them on their U.S. tour I was hooked.

I was actually into punk before I got into metal. I never really liked mainstream music and I alwyas sort of steered away from it. Punk got sort of boring, though, especially with the emergence of so many crappy pop-punk bands... I wanted something that was musically deeper and so metal was the natural direction.

Originally posted by Soilworker

So you have heard me make comments in real life? Nice one. :D

Bet you wouldn't talk to someone like that in real life but you can on the net...that was my point, if a bit vague :rolleyes:

Anyways, no more.

I'm sorry...there a formal apology, lets all be friends again. :D

i'm a new (BWP) Opeth fan, since june of 2002, so 5 months. here's my fav. artists at the moment that i can think of:

electronic: underworld, aphex twin, autechre, squarepusher, some deep/prog house, bjork (calx you're not alone! :heh: ), boards of canada, monolake, massive attack, momus
industrial/goth: sisters of mercy, bauhaus, wumpscut,nin
classic rock/metal: black sabbath, judas priest, iron maiden, pink floyd
metal: tool, slayer, metallica, ozzy
experimental: mike patton! (fantomas, mr. bungle), dillinger escape plan
death : bloodbath, entombed, carcass, opeth (of course), dark tranquilty, arch enemy
nu-metal: SOAD (given the above allow me this indulgence :loco: )

recent purchases: symphony x - the odyssey, kataklysm - shadows & dust, porcupine tree - in absentia, underworld - hundred days off (and of course, new bloodbath & opeth)

I really like Deliverance. Every song has something I love. i haven't ranked it yet in my opeth rankings, but it's probably in the top 3. i own all the albums now, BWP is my favorite. I can't seem to get into Morningrise to the level that some older fans have, though there are tracks on that album i love. MAYH is probably my #2.

Cheers
Stu