Recent influx of new opeth fans

jester00

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed there seems to be a whole lot more new faces around the opeth board? There is normally about 10 people viewing the forum at any one time.

This can only mean that more people have found out about the almighty opeth. Keen to hear from new fans about how recently you heard about opeth and what your inital impressions were

I became a fan in February of this year, and they are the only metal band I have any interest in whatsoever. A friend of mine sent me "The Drapery Falls", and at first, while I truly loved the softer sections, I was put off by the death vocals. But, until that point I'd always wished I could find a metal band where I could enjoy the MUSIC, and not have to put up with some of the other irritating features (vulgar/sick/meaningless lyrics, some kinds of theatrics onstage, etc.). It took me awhile to get accustomed to the growling, but to my absolute shock...I eventually liked it! I went out to buy Blackwater Park...at first I was really unsure of it. I even contemplated trading it in. Then I got introduced to Damnation. THAT completely changed my attitude, once I saw just what a variety of styles they were capable of! So I ended up--the very same week--buying Deliverance and Damnation together (cleaning out my local CD store's Opeth supply in the process!). I ended up falling in love with Damnation. Then, I was lucky enough to find MAYH at another store, which sealed it. The whole story, as well as the sound of it, just touched me (yeah, I know, touched by a metal album...I sound really weird...), and there was NO going back from there! I had to complete the collection. ;-)

I know that's kind of embarrassing considering how much more so many of you guys know, and considering that I'm well out of my usual genre of music...but I figure there's a lot of diversity among Opeth's fans.

Rose Immortal said:
Then, I was lucky enough to find MAYH at another store, which sealed it. The whole story, as well as the sound of it, just touched me (yeah, I know, touched by a metal album...I sound really weird...),

I'm sure everyone posting here has been 'touched' by Opeth in many ways, in both melody and brutallity of the voice that is Opeth. You dont sound out of place yet, my young metalhead. Your journey as just begun in extreme music.

ive been posting here for several months... i registered on ultimate metal for kalmah's forum, and then started posting also here, and on arch enemy's forum...
and yes, suddenly theres a whole bunch of new faces here. many of whom are annoying fanboys... meh its still a good board... much better then the horrible loud board (many canadians will know what im talking about)

Well...with all due respect I'm not sure if that "journey" will go past Opeth. But it is good to know I didn't sound odd for my having been moved by their music. :)

Themoor666 said:
yea... Opeth is great... death metal with actual music and real lyrics.. none of that fucked with a knife shit... cannibal corpse is aight but they annoy me

Hahahahaha.

Yes, well... anyway, I noticed the massive influx a couple of weeks ago, particularly when Vindicate arrived... thankfully, she's fucked off now, but yeah, still a pile of fanboys that are getting a bit annoying.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Hahahahaha.

Yes, well... anyway, I noticed the massive influx a couple of weeks ago, particularly when Vindicate arrived... thankfully, she's fucked off now, but yeah, still a pile of fanboys that are getting a bit annoying.

*nod*

Nah, just the usual "OPETH ARE GODS AND LIVE UPON THE OLYMP" - type of stuff. They'll get over it, soon.. :)

Darkness Eternal said:
I want to be touched by Opeth, specifically Mikael's gay hand.
This one was easy
loco.gif

I've been listening to Opeth since BWP. I actually bought it after I heard Harvest on an internet radio show. I didn't really like the vocals at first, but they grew on me like a fungus. Soon after I managed to score all of their albums, and have seen them twice. They are pretty much my favorite band, but my musical tastes run fairly broad. I am a huge Rush, The Police, Dream Theater, and Led Zep fan (standard fare for many drummers I assume!), but I also listen to everything from George Winston to Hawaiian Slack Key guitar.

I think Steven Wilson summed up my reasons for liking Opeth when he described their music as having, "incredible moments of beauty and incredible moments of brutality" \m/

Bartman

ShroudOfDusk said:
Hahahahaha.

awesome! i was actually looking for an opportunity to ask you if you remembered her and to ask what happened? did she just up and roll out?
my favorite thread of all time was the one about the movie legend. jeez.