To new Opeth fans.

Yeah, I've been a fan for, say, 3 months. Basically it's all I've been listening to for the last month and a half. Before that I was (and still am) into Soilwork, The Crown, The Haunted, lots of Melodic DM. There are a few nu-metal bands I like: Spineshank and SOAD mostly. I'm a huge Tool fan. I've been getting into some heavier stuff: Bloodbath, Impaled, Cryptopsy. Also lately I'm really into Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, and Arcturus. That's a good cross section of my tastes. Don't flame me for the nu-metal comments!! :)

It's been nearly a year since I bought Blackwater Park. I have since bought the rest of the catalog.

Other favorite listens these days:

Katatonia
Blaze (yeah, Bayley, remember him?)
Iced Earth
In Flames (even Reroute to Remain)

I went from Nirvana to Metallica to Tool and then to Opeth. Though I guess I should mention I heard Cradle of Filth between Tool and Opeth, though I only liked a few of their songs. But they did get me into the whole deathmetal thing.

Opeth hands down is the greatest out of those. I dont know what I would do without my Opeth cds.

I've made a HUGE transition fron nu-metal to all the bands I love now... Opeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Iced Earth, etc.... I started out with Greenday's "Dookie" at about 5th grade (I think someone here said the exact same thing) because that was what everyone was listening to, along with Korn (I was only into their first two albums).... I got into Tool when they released Aenima, and they have been my favorite band for a while.... in high school, I listened to a lot of nu-metal, like System, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Linkin Park, etc....(oh and lots of Tool) But then I was browsing for some new bands that were underground and that I had never heard of.... Opeth looked cool, and there was no turning back once I heard The Leper Affinity..... and that is where I am today. The only nu-metalish band I still really like is Mudvayne....they are really good, along with their new single.... their new album looks really good.....

Originally posted by SunlapseVertigo
I've made a HUGE transition fron nu-metal to all the bands I love now... Opeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Iced Earth, etc.... I started out with Greenday's "Dookie" at about 5th grade (I think someone here said the exact same thing) because that was what everyone was listening to, along with Korn (I was only into their first two albums).... I got into Tool when they released Aenima, and they have been my favorite band for a while.... in high school, I listened to a lot of nu-metal, like System, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Linkin Park, etc....(oh and lots of Tool) But then I was browsing for some new bands that were underground and that I had never heard of.... Opeth looked cool, and there was no turning back once I heard The Leper Affinity..... and that is where I am today. The only nu-metalish band I still really like is Mudvayne....they are really good, along with their new single.... their new album looks really good.....

hehehe, very similar to me. I went from Offspring, SOAD, Papa Roach, Linkin Park...(there I can admit it :p ) into Opeth, Nile, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Pan-Thy-Monium, Ulver and into a bazillion other metal groups. I'm not new to Opeth tho, about 2 years, but over the past year and a half my music tastes have transform beyond belief from their humble beginnings. Ooh yeah and the band that started my transition was Tool, I believe thats the same for many here.

No flaming on this thread...its like Alcoholics Anonymous where you can admit what you listenened/listen to ;)

And yeah its Jubei from Ninja Scroll.

I'm not really new to Opeth (since 97, when A Call to Irons came out) but I would like to comment that my transition was much different from some of the others. Neither Tool nor Metallica played an integral part in my music listening tastes. In fact, I still haven't heard a whole lot of Tool, and I didn't own a single Metallica CD until I had long since owned a few Opeth ones.

I started out listening to whatever I could. My mom had a few rock CDs that I liked at the time (that's all I had). They were James Taylor, Three Dog Night, The Eagles and Air Supply (what a start). Even before that, though, my dad liked alot of classical, so ultimately that's where my taste originated (Bach's fugue in g minor [on organ] ownz j00!). Then a friend of mine introduced me to Led Zeppelin. My Led Zeppelin obsession lasted about a year. Then I heard Black Sabbath. The interesting thing about that, though, is that Black Sabbath wasn't really the first metal I heard. It was a Black Sabbath tribute (Nativity in Black). So I bought albums by Black Sabbath and by the bands on the tribute. This was what diversified my metal preferences. (I quickly dropped the Led Zepplin, too. I no longer even like them.) Faith No More got me into Patton's work. Biohazard was fun. I liked Type O Negative for quite a while, (don't care much for them anymore, though). Sepultura made me interested in thrash, White Zombie kinda openned me up to the industrial world (I know, they are't industrial), as did "1000 Homo DJ's" (might as well be Ministry). Lastly, Bruce Dickinson and Godspeed's take on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath provoked me to buy Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson albums. Naturally I kept wanting to hear stuff that was heavier and heavier, until I stumbled upon my first death metal (and power metal) CD: A Call to Irons: A Tribute to Iron Maiden. So one could say that the first I heard of death metal was the better side. Opeth was the first band I checked out, because Remember Tomorrow was very striking. My taste continues to broaden.

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames
In fact, I still haven't heard a whole lot of Tool....

This should be rectified immediately!!!!!
Go and buy Aenima and Lateralus now!!!

I listen to a lot of different bands and a lot of different music, and consider Opeth to be amongst my 2 or 3 favourite bands, but nothing comes close to Tool. The depth and complexity of their music is unrivalled in modern music!!!

Nothing worse than an avid Tool fan; how you can consider Tool to be better than Opeth in any way shape or form is beyond me.

I went from poppy grunge (Nirvana, Foo Fighters etc) to nu-metal (Staind, Tool, Linkin Park, Mudvayne etc) to metalcore/hardcore and rock stuff influenced by that (Dillinger Escape Plan, Throwdown, Zao, Glassjaw), to metal and death metal (In Flames, Opeth, Isis, Shadows Fall etc). It's been interesting.

Ha, I beat all of you....I have been a fan since...the tail end of.....October :p

I bought Still Life for the hell of it when I went on a shopping spree at a mall near me. Totally blew me away and better than than stuff that had put me off of Opeth before (a lot of what I heard on BWP put me to sleep).

But I've been into bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Death, Naglfar, Darkane, Children of Bodom etc. for around 2 years now....before that it was mostly Metallica.

I'm lost.....what am I doing here? :cry: :cry:

Ive liked Opeth for a year, but I started on the metal scene with Metallica. I visited their boards and many other posters put Opeth as one of THE bands to listen to. So, I downloaded Serenity Painted Death and was blown away. I bought Still Life the next day and never looked back. I used to listen to all nu-metal before that and I still have nu-metal cds. I dont listen to them anymoreand all my friends complain that all I listen to anymore is Opeth.

Thats not totally true. I listen to Opeth, Borknagar, Emperor, and Vader mostly.

And since we can just admit things here, I like the Avril Lavigne cd. I think its pretty good. I dont think Tool is nu-metal either.

Originally posted by mr_cellotape
Nothing worse than an avid Tool fan; how you can consider Tool to be better than Opeth in any way shape or form is beyond me.

I went from poppy grunge (Nirvana, Foo Fighters etc) to nu-metal (Staind, Tool, Linkin Park, Mudvayne etc) to metalcore/hardcore and rock stuff influenced by that (Dillinger Escape Plan, Throwdown, Zao, Glassjaw), to metal and death metal (In Flames, Opeth, Isis, Shadows Fall etc). It's been interesting.

That's right, it's beyond you!!!

The fact that you consider Tool in the same category as Staind, Linkin Park and Mudvayne proves you have no idea.

I'm certainly a newbie, I got into Opeth after picking up a copy of Blackwater Park and became instantly blown away. I've since purchased all of their albums and consider Blackwater Park and Still Life to be their best work although all of their albums are great in their own way.

I grew up constantly listening to my father's Beatles, Doors, Zeppelin, Hendrix and Rolling Stones albums. I credit my dad for getting me interested in rock music and we still talk about rock all the time.Besides the pop garbage I liked when I was a little kid my own music taste started around 94-95 when I started getting into hard rock and metal. Nirvana was the first band I ever really got into and I'm still an avid fan to this day (Unplugged in New York is my favorite album of all time). From there I started getting metal bands such as White Zombie, Pantera, Metallica, Type O Negative and Megadeth. I've also experimented with punk, hardcore, industrial, death metal and black metal and have found a few bands from each category to my liking. A little over two years ago I started getting into melodic death such as In Flames, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork. These bands ended up being just what I was looking for and began to realize just how boring and unmelodic a lot of the other metal bands I was listening to at the time where. Right now, I still listen to a lot of melodic death along with a l ot of other good stuff. Here are 15 of my favorite bands-

Nirvana, In Flames, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, Opeth, Radiohead, NIN, Skinny Puppy, Type O Negative, Testament, Tool, Vision of Disorder, Children of Bodom, Fear Factory, KMFDM

Yeah, there are some "trendy" bands on the list but I listen to what I like no matter if it's mainstream or extreme, technical or simple.

Originally posted by Static
that the bands fanbase is being spread far and wide with people who love Slipknot and Linkin Park.

So fucking what?

You dipshit.

People can like whatever the fuck they want.

Who cares if it is true or not.

You strike me as a true fuckwit though.

I like metal. While LP and SK aren't my type of music, it doesn't mean people who listen to it CAN'T like Opeth.

Hell, I have a friend that likes Opeth and Linkin Park.

Maybe I misinterperate the thread, but still, you are a real idiot.

But like I said, I didn't read the topic, so sorry if I made a mistake... :p :mad:

Originally posted by Soilworker
So fucking what?

You dipshit.

People can like whatever the fuck they want.

Who cares if it is true or not.

You strike me as a true fuckwit though.

I like metal. While LP and SK aren't my type of music, it doesn't mean people who listen to it CAN'T like Opeth.

Hell, I have a friend that likes Opeth and Linkin Park.

Maybe I misinterperate the thread, but still, you are a real idiot.

But like I said, I didn't read the topic, so sorry if I made a mistake... :p :mad:

I can't take such blind flaming seriously so I'm not offended. Whats funny is that you say: "Maybe I misinterperate the thread, but still, you are a real idiot." Good spelling and grammar! :D

I also don't fucking get this: "But like I said, I didn't read the topic, so sorry if I made a mistake"...why the hell are you flaming me if you didn't read the topic!? It just makes no sense!! :confused: You've got no reason to do so unless you know what you are fucking talking about!

I said that stuff about Linkin Park and Slipknot because I've been involved in arguments from people saying 'Argh...Opeths fanbase is being flooded with trendies'...and I was arguing against them saying 'So fucking what!?'...and I find it annoying when people say such stupid things. I happen to still listen to some Linkin Park (but not Slipknot). I wondered what people new to Opeth like to listen to because it was interesting to know. I liked nu-metal and stuff like that alot when I first discovered Opeth, and this thread is not intended to mock 'trendies', or label anyone as a 'trendy', its simply a civilised conversation about what music people like.

If you want to be a complete and utter retarted moron with your head up your anus making baseless and insulting statements like a fucking dumbass, acting like I'M the one with no brains :lol:

...go right ahead.

Originally posted by mr_cellotape

Nothings wrong with avid Tool fans, back in the day I was completely obsessed. My obsession just gradually shifted to an Opeth one. I think that Tool to Opeth is something that happens naturally (if you discover them), one day you realise that your former gods Tool are no longer your idols, but Opeth are. Thats what happened to me.

ps. Tools metal...not nu-metal!