Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Whenever I go to other boards I am frequently bestowed with alot of opeth hate. Not towards the band mind you. But to us....The Opethians! For example I checked out the children of bodom boards topic entitled "pet peeves" Many responses were "Opeth fans". It seems to me that we are percieved as very narrow minded ignoramuses. I don't agree with it one bit. Sure we post the same topic about 100 times and ask stupid question's repeatedly. But were a gang of cool cats! :) But it still seems to me that fans from other bands don't care for us. One guy said opeth fans bashed him simply for liking bodom? :ill: So here's your chance folks! Come one and come all. Opethians and opethian haters. Let's hash out our differences and make peace! Anybody here know what I'm talking about other than me? lol. It's not just the cob board I have seen this hatred spew forth from. Atleast half a dozen. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bodom, Iced Earth. General Discussion forums. What Gives? :erk: What are we doing as a whole that brushes people the wrong way? :confused:

i will explain it to you through a single occurance involving your beloved opeth fans. i have posted this here once before, but it looks i must do it again...

los angeles house of blues - damnation tour

Mikael - "People in sweden call us the scorpions of sweden."

Crowd - "BOOOOOO!!!! SCORPIONS SUCK!!!"

Mikael - "But i like the scorpions, so i dont mind that label."

Crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

it was that exact moment that i really took a look at the fanboys i often mocked, but now it was something else. The band has created a monster of stupidity/ignorance/close mindedness and overall retardation. Even though i enjoy Opeth's music, i wont call myself an opeth fan any longer.

I had no idea about the Opeth fan bashing. I propose a theory on it though. Perhaps Opeth is the band that gets non-metal fans into extreme metal. So, long time metal heads are irratated at these new fans who have no real background (knowledge) about the scene, and who make statements about metal that sound retarded to us veterans who know better. Also, maybe some of us don't feel these newbies deserve to enjoy and participate in our scene that we like to be kept underground. Am I close here?

maybe there are a lot of opeth fans who tend to be kind of obnoxious fanboys? frankly its quite true... i mean, opeth are great.... the fans can be kind of annoying every once in a while

i hate when ppls judges other... its not because i'm an opeth fan that i consider myself like you or him or her or them... its like, be yourself. if you know what i mean. Opeth is intelligent music and it's not accessible. That's why some opeth fans are blasting other bands... i think you gotta have a brain somewhere to understand music as complex as they did.
a lot of metal fans are dumbs... especially blackmetal fans. i dont know why, i like black metal and that doesnt means i will take myself for a satanic freak or dress myself with army boots. but its like that everywhere. like children of bodom for exemple, its one of the most accessibles bands... you'll find hip hop fans and really simple guys listening to them... so cools, some bad... Personnaly i think opeth fans in general are great overall. When i saw the damnation tour , a lot were yelling demon on the fall all the night.. it sucked for that.. i meam, when you see chairs on the floor in an already mentionned damnation tour, don't exptect heavy stuff and if you're not happy get out and go somewhere else.

We are in a troubled society..

It's partly the "I listen to the best music in the world and if you don't like it, it must be because you can't comprehend it" attitude that I see sometimes. It's also because the band introduces people to extreme metal and/or prog rock, so a lot of fans seem kinda clueless.

LordHypnos said:

Crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

it was that exact moment that i really knew I was a fanboy

That's such a loving story! I also want to be a fanboy!

LordHypnos said:
i will explain it to you through a single occurance involving your beloved opeth fans. i have posted this here once before, but it looks i must do it again...

los angeles house of blues - damnation tour

Crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

Yeah, because NO OTHER band's fans would do that would they? Only Opeth fans agree with the frontman, because they're CUNTS.
Like you.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
(...)that we are percieved as very narrow minded ignoramuses. (...)
I wouldn't call whose of us who can really appreciate both the heavy and the mellow - and of course the combination of the two - sides of Opeth narrow minded. It's the opposite, I would say!

About the fanboy thing. I'm a relatively new fan (first heard about them right before the release of Deliverance), you might say I got in to prog and metal - and again the combination of the two - through Opeth. But I usually don't make silly comments on things I don't know shit about, at least I try not to.

every scene i have submitted myself into, there have always been stupidity and ignorance... but i have realized that this is true only because all people are ignorant and stupid in one way or another; the people who are truly stupid are those who do not accept that they are ignorant in this way. in other words, although there are bands that have a lot of stupid fans, you are even more stupid if you look down upon them.

Opeth is intelligent music and it's not accessible.

Then why does it seem that if any, Opeth is the only metal band most of the non-metal crowd likes?

I think the softness of (some of) their music counterbalances how sophisticated it is as far as songwriting goes, and that's why people like it.

Opeth fans are hated because many people push the band on you like a religion. Of course, at this point, Opeth fans are stereotyped... I just strip away all the hype. That's how I come to a conclusion on a band. I won't let other people ruin it for me, as much as their non-stop talk about the band may annoy me.

It's the general elitist attitude and total fanboyness. Alot of the newer fans really have trouble holding back all the constant Opeth praise and 'best band ever' comments. I had peronally become sick of it at a point. This is why this forum is such a haven for trolls. Actually, in all my time here, this forum has never been without at least one troll, so that speaks volumes to you of how people feel towards the fans. Like the most recent, MightyA, he emphasises parody on the behaviour and general fanboyhood of most Opeth fans. I suppose that's what shits people off the most.

The ironic thing is, that if the haters were to look back upon themselves for patronising and being judgemental about Opeth fans, they would see that they are being bigger morons. Morons, that by the way, have their own musical prejudices, ones that we couldn't give two flying fucks about I might add. I don't understand why everyone is so judgemental about Opeth fans, when they too are quite obviously fucktards.

Sure Opeth has spawned alot of blind followers, almost creating this adolescent cult that worship and hang onto every word that leaves Mikael's mouth... but tell me, which considerably large band hasn't? Opeth are at that stage now, where they've been around for a good while, well over a decade, and the morons just come with the turf.

I think every band othat has attained the popularity that Opeth has will have an equal share of highly knowledgeable and dangerously misinformed fans. I'm not bothered by fanboys enough that I feel the need to act superior around them, but the excessively hyped praise and repeated obvious questions make this forum difficult to enjoy reading...