Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

it just boils down to people hating other people just because they dont have the same exact preferences as them. its simple human nature, and its stupid. if they werent opeth fanboys, they'd be fanboys for something else.

EatMyMetal said:
it just boils down to people hating other people just because they dont have the same exact preferences as them. its simple human nature, and its stupid. if they werent opeth fanboys, they'd be fanboys for something else.

I dont think thats right, Its not a case of lack of tolerance (on anyones part)... I just think its cos a small amount of opeth fans are Cock Rockers who are V V ignorant, and they've set a bad example. The fan boys are probably not the problem, in my opinion, its the bad eggs that spoil the bunch. :p

TheFourthHorseman said:
Stupid equation. So people should be deemed stupid based on their personality rather than their intelligence?
I think I worded it wrong. What I mean is, the dumbest people in the world tend to also be very loud, which is really why stereotypes get started. It's hard to be a complete jackass while being quiet :loco:

Question: Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

Answer: Too many Opeth fans are fucking obsessed with the band. Its fucking pathetic... I'd say Opeth is my favorite band, but what sets most of us apart from the fanatics is that we listen to a lot of other bands and enjoy other music just as much as this single band. I've met too many Opeth fans that just make me sick. Psuedo-intellectuals...

Gin_from_the_bottle said:
and ive never seen an opeth fan that was obsessed with them...

Lots of Opeth fans are obsessed with them! I know I was for a long time, maybe a year or so. For that period, from when I really got into the first album I bought, until I discovered that there was other comparably good music out there, Opeth was probably 90% of all I listened to. Does this mean I was an idiot fanboy? Maybe... but the fact was that when I sat down to listen to music, the music that interested me the most was Opeth. I listened to what I wanted to, and though there wasn't much variety, that's how it worked. Not everyone has to behave exactly as you think they should (Not you, Gin_from_the_bottle). Listening to mostly one band or a couple of bands and being absolutely obsessed with those bands is a phase many of us go through at some point. It's just part of maturing one's musical taste. Some people around here are so closed-minded it damn near makes me sick.

^Again, too right. A whole lot of people who discover Opeth listen to nothing else for a while... I did... I cant explain why, it was just more interesting than the death metal I used to listen to, and until I started getting into black metal, I rarely found anything that compared.

ShroudOfDusk said:
until I started getting into black metal, I rarely found anything that compared.

Black metal is extremely fun :) I know what you mean, except before Opeth I listened to more mainstream stuff like Metallica, Sabbath, Ozzy, some Slayer, a bit of Maiden and stuff... so it was a big jump, and then what broke me out of Opeth was all of Dan Swano's projects. Especially Crimson.

Crimson is amazing, but it never realy blew me away that much. I'd say what got me off my Opeth fixation was Astriaal. They've been called 'the Opeth of black metal' and it's fairly fitting, if a little general. They play brilliant intense metal.

I have generally found that fans of any dark genre of music are always extreme in the passions for music overall.

Dark/Technical music imho attracts more "thinking" types of people, people who dissect their music and analyse it thoroughly.

That doesnt account for all fans of the above though, there are some who simply like it, and that's cool too.

I myself, being a fan of music overall, have frequented a few forums over the years, and have found this forum to be one of the worst I have come across.

The attitude of (most) posters here is really bad: people bash one another, and constantly try to "out-Opeth" one another.

That's not good for the scene! Take a look over the Maiden's BBS, and the attitude is very different. While Maiden has a VERY hardcore fanbase, people are kind and respectful to each other, and they share their knowledhe of metal and the band in a positive way.

However, here (and I myself have been a victim of this), people stomp over one another, talking down to each other etc

Not only that, they have no respect for other people overall it seems: I saw a post in an another thread (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145933) about Elderdawn, and one guy was outright rude. How bad is that?

//me shakes head.

I simply don't get how some people in this BBS get off slagging one another off.

Not good.

Bodom fans are worse than Opeth fans...

But there is a huge deal of fanboyism with both bands.

I understand where most people are coming from. When I discovered Opeth, it seemed that most albums in my collection weren't listened to as much anymore. Blackwater Park was my first Opeth album and was being played allday. To the point where the last song, the title track got so scratched badly. I was adamant that I have found the best band in the whole world which required some degree of intelligence higher than a regular metal fan to listen to and enjoy. I remained like this for a few months, pretty sad really. Then I started to slap my self and force myself to look out for bands other than Opeth that would blow me away as just as much or perhaps more. And I have...

Well...basically, the fans just have to tone down the worship. Opeth are good, but there are other bands just as good(or perhaps even better?), they are not gods. They are human beings making fantastic music.