Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

LordHypnos said:
im sorry, opeth is NOT the only metal band to mix clean with distorted stuff WELL. many bands have done it before or at the same time as opeth.

in flames, dark tranquility, borknagar, abigor, and of course...Ulver.

While they are bands I like, they are not as good as Opeth any way you look at it. I mean c'mon Opeth>>>>Borknagar.

There it is! The "OMG OPETH ARE GODS!" attitude. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them, but they're human ;)

KielbasaSausage said:
imo those bands are defeinately NOT complex, but like you also mentioned, it comes down to your personal opinion, boss. you almost made it seem as if you were speaking truth in your few posts.

those bands arent complex?

what exactly is complex to you might i ask?

if you say tool or dream theater...im going to cut out your heart with a rusted letter opener!

well for one...heh...i was amused by reading this whole thread...two...fanboys are annoying....three...i like Opeth but do you see me saying they are gods? and about that Scorpions bit that one guy said....thats really sad.....i mean Mikael listens to Kent but do you see me going out and buying Kent records? no! they suck! bad!
at any rate....just learn to live with it...

hehe i dont even understand what you mean by "complex;" if you mean "complex to the average music listener" then i understand, but ive gotten to the point where this so called complex music does not seem complex to me at all. and im assuming you havent seen many of my previous posts to know that i dont hold any regard for tool, and i havent really ever gotten into DM as well.

complex in the sense that their structures/time signatures/arrangements and overall compositions surpass the typical pop or rock format and such. i dont mean theyre impossible to understand or enjoy. i think youre taking the statement too severely.

Maharet said:
i mean Mikael listens to Kent but do you see me going out and buying Kent records? no! they suck! bad!
Yes, but just look at Porcupine Tree and Camel.

Before Blackwater Park was released, almost no Opeth fan knew who the hell PT were. I'm sure there were a few, but nothing like all the PT fanboys these days. Anyway, BWP is released, and Steve Wilson did the duet in Bleak, and what happens? All the Opeth fans begin drooling over PT simply because Wilson produced the album and he has one little duet.

About Camel, Mikael simply says that Camel influenced Opeth. What happens? All the fanboys go out and get Camel albums, and then there are numerous Camel threads in this forum.

Sheep....

Alright, that's perfectly logical right there. The man, Mikael, expresses which bands are fundamental inspirations to his music, not to mention having a member from one work with him to orchestrate yet another Opeth album, and you expect Opeth fans to totally disregard this knowledge.. why?

Personally I feel the attitude Opeth fans demonstrate when following up on the band's musical tastes shows some level of insight. Obviously if a band you love, in turn love other artists, chances are that you will feel similarly.

I have absolutely NO IDEA why you seem to describe the general Opeth fan's ability to go further and look into related bands as a bad thing.

I have followed up on both Camel and Porcupine Tree after hearing Mikael praise them repeatedly in interviews... how does this make me a sheep? If a friend of mine told me about the same bands, would you still label me as one?

I love Camel, not because Mikael does, but because I think the music is great and surely stands against the test of time. Mikael is the REASON I know about them, but he is not the reason I enjoy their music. Same thing applies to Porcupine Tree who I don't even like... I actually think SW is a total fuckwad, but for some reason since it's because of Mikael that I know about SW and PT, I'm a sheep. Great thinking there ace.

I dunno about that. After I got into Opeth, I heard about a lot of different bands, through Opeth and their fans. Katatonia, Dan Swano/Edge of Sanity, Bloodbath, Porcupine Tree, Camel... all these bands I heard about because of my interest in Opeth... they were recomended by other Opeth fans and such. I'm not a fan of PT or Camel, but I still heard about them through Opeth fans. I still listened to a variety of music before any Opeth recomendations.

But I agree that people who get into these bands JUST because their idols like it is stupid. That is sheepish and idiotic.

I agree with all the talk on being a ''sheep'' i think it's quite ridiculous to go out & buy music by bands just because members of other bands you listen to engage interest in them. I don't like Porcupine Tree but even though i don't like any kind of mellow music i have slight interest in Camel. I own ''Moonmadness'' & i think it's a nice, peaceful, relaxing album. Great to listen to.

If you only listen to obsucre indecipherable music then it still makes you a sheep. Just of a different flock :D