Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

It's amazing when you think retrospectively about all of this. I really got into them when My Arms Your Hearse came out and things were totally different. This thread would not even be here, and the forum would not exist. Opeth fans back then would pray that this band would get the attention they deserved, because they were the best thing to happen to most of us metal fans, and hardly anyone knew of them. Mike was so poor back then he sold him amp to pay rent! Still Life took over a year to even get released over here in the US. I gave in and bought the $20 import. But when Blackwater Park came out, things totally changed. They started to tour, got great exposure in metal magazines, and their albums were getting good distribution from Koch.

Miller High Death said:
It's amazing when you think retrospectively about all of this. I really got into them when My Arms Your Hearse came out and things were totally different. This thread would not even be here, and the forum would not exist. Opeth fans back then would pray that this band would get the attention they deserved, because they were the best thing to happen to most of us metal fans, and hardly anyone knew of them. Mike was so poor back then he sold him amp to pay rent! Still Life took over a year to even get released over here in the US. I gave in and bought the $20 import. But when Blackwater Park came out, things totally changed. They started to tour, got great exposure in metal magazines, and their albums were getting good distribution from Koch.

Thank you. That needed to be said.

Well i think it would be fair to say that morons come with any turf, metal , footbals teams, fucking book clubs anything! Someone always manages to fuck somehting up one way or the other. And i think not many like Opeth fans cos they dislike the music and i bet most ould say " i 4r3 teh 1337 0p37|-| & u 4r3 teh gayx0r" alot of opeth fans i have noticed are elitests like moonlapse said but once again i guess ur fair share of them comes with any sort of turf although i seem to have found many.

People deny that there could be any ignorance in the leagues of Opeth fans simply because they consider Opeth 'intelligent' music. There are fools in fangroups of every band, but the more fans the band has, the more fools. The percentage stays the same, just the quantity that increases.

I think that it is because certain people worship the band. I am a big fan of Opeth, and they are one of my favorite bands. However, they are not my universe if you know what I mean. I listen to other music besides Opeth. I am guessing that a lot of those people see the recent trend in Opeth’s growing popularity and acclaim in the metal underground, so they simply reject a lot of the people who are heavily into Opeth. Or, maybe it is because Opeth fans think that Opeth is the best band on Earth? It can get annoying when there is someone who is into one band and claims that this one band is the greatest band on Earth.

Music is like food -- you should listen to a wide variety of it. Again, variety should be the key.

I don’t know. Who gives a shit, anyway? There are plenty of people out there who are obsessive COB and In Flames fans, so why does it matter? It is just a whole bunch of stereotypical bs anyway.

ShroudOfDusk said:
The percentage stays the same, just the quantity that increases.

I dunno man, some bands seem to draw more fools than others. I think that as the exposure increases, the percentage of generally stupid fans increases. Maybe it's a sign of the more intelligent people being more willing or capable of hunting out the music they want to hear as opposed to sticking to what they're given by the media? Who knows? Just a thought :)

You're right about that one too. The more exposure the band gets, the more fools. Why? Because the media picks up the next big 'trend'... the hype increases, and people who only take their cues from the media suddenly hear of 'the next big thing'. Its a sad process.

Moonlapse said:
It's the general elitist attitude and total fanboyness.
[...]
Sure Opeth has spawned alot of blind followers, almost creating this adolescent cult that worship and hang onto every word that leaves Mikael's mouth... but tell me, which considerably large band hasn't? Opeth are at that stage now, where they've been around for a good while, well over a decade, and the morons just come with the turf.

I agree. Although there are many blind followers and morons, there are also some very cool guys in here.

After reading these posts I feel really bad. I'm so guilty of obsessively praising Opeth, and its true it got me into the metal scene in general. Of course I didn't go making comments about the scene in general until I actually knew what was going on. I tend to have a phobia of talking before I know whats going on in such cases. But I feel so guilty now...*twitch* But...that...scorpion thing from before kinda creeped me out...I'm a fan but not hanging on every word from Mikael's mouth...

I heard some one say once opeth fans treat other people like shit just because "they think they no everything because they think they understand opeth"

Im not sure what that means, I think it means opeth fans think they are above everyone else. Some gimp started randomly insulting Some Deathmetal on another thread and when I made a point in Deathmetals defense, this opeth fan started Bitchin off and getting really agressive. He was truly ignorant.

I love opeth but I wouldn't appear hear as an opeth fan... I think that some more ignorant people who are into opeth do things, and then all opeth fans get tarred with the same brush. the reason some are ignorant is for the previously mentioned reasons ie. cock rockers get into opeth.

LordHypnos said:
i will explain it to you through a single occurance involving your beloved opeth fans. i have posted this here once before, but it looks i must do it again...

los angeles house of blues - damnation tour

Mikael - "People in sweden call us the scorpions of sweden."

Crowd - "BOOOOOO!!!! SCORPIONS SUCK!!!"

Mikael - "But i like the scorpions, so i dont mind that label."

Crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

it was that exact moment that i really took a look at the fanboys i often mocked, but now it was something else. The band has created a monster of stupidity/ignorance/close mindedness and overall retardation. Even though i enjoy Opeth's music, i wont call myself an opeth fan any longer.
You're retarted

The loudest and most obnoxious people in the world are also the most ignorant and stupidest people in the world. Intelligent, non-fanboy people tend not to speak up very much...mostly cause they're not trolling probably :).

This entire thread reminds me of a similar thread I once read about Tool fans. There are a good amount of diehard Tool fans out there that claim Tool is the best band ever. If someone doesn't agree they say that the person just "doesn't understand" music or Tool because they aren't intelligent and sophisticated. Fortunately, Tool fanboys outnumber Opeth fanboys by a lot, and I don't see Opeth every achieving the kind of fame Tool has (the music is too extreme, which is a good thing).

I consider myself an Opeth fan, after all I have the O tattooed on my leg. Opeth is without a doubt my favorite band, but I will never say they are the best band in the world. The concept of a worldwide best band is retarded because everybody has different tastes. To truly be the "best," every band would have to play the same style. It's fine to say Opeth is your favorite band, but saying they are the best ever is pretty ignorant. You haven't listened to every album by every band ever, so how are you qualified to make such a statement? And who says your musical tastes are absolutely 100% unquestionably infallibly correct?

Just like the music guys. No need to be obsessive fanboy stalkers. I guarantee you the band hates obsessive fanboys :p You don't want Mikael to hate you....do you?

Esoterik said:
The loudest and most obnoxious people in the world are also the most ignorant and stupidest people in the world. Intelligent, non-fanboy people tend not to speak up very much...mostly cause they're not trolling probably :).

Stupid equation. So people should be deemed stupid based on their personality rather than their intelligence?