My single favorite Opeth "moment"

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, 2:42 into "Dirge for November" is the single most exciting & awe-inspiring moment in any Opeth song on any Opeth album (I've yet to hear the new one, however).
Those few seconds of beautiful guitar are what music's all about, IMO.

And to my shock, I've read fans here stating that this is one of their least fav Opeth tunes!?!??!?! :eek:

Truthfully - I have too many Opeth moments to mention. From certain bridges from one section of a song to the next - to certain riffs I could hear over and over.

Originally posted by Mikael is God
demon of the fall..... when they change to acoustic guitars for like 2 seconds and then the distortion and everything else comes SMASHING in. i love that

That's definately one of my favorites

Originally posted by Mikael is God
demon of the fall..... when they change to acoustic guitars for like 2 seconds and then the distortion and everything else comes SMASHING in. i love that

Yes.

Everything from "Run Away" to the end of the song nearly brings me to tears, if I'm in the right mood. I just can't figure out how a song can sound that good.

When I heard April Ethereal for the first time, the first stand alone guitar solo towards the beginning of the song got me hooked on Opeth.

And now they are my favorite band.

My favorite moment.....The time from when Mike starts the first of the last two lines of Blackwater Park till the end of that song.

"Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater park"

No music has elicited such emotion from me as that part.

When the layers of wah'd guitars come in and it gets very noisy and then just stops, that's nice. For some reason right now, I'm really liking April Ethereal at 6:45. That riff and the one right after, with the lyrics, just do something for me. So I guess at this time that's my favorite.

Originally posted by Hondo
When the layers of wah'd guitars come in and it gets very noisy and then just stops, that's nice. For some reason right now, I'm really liking April Ethereal at 6:45. That riff and the one right after, with the lyrics, just do something for me. So I guess at this time that's my favorite.

I can talk about April Ethereal for hours !! It 's such a great song, there are only excellent parts in this song...
For eg, I find Mike' s vocals totally incredible ("The rain was waving goodbye"...)
Yes, my favorite Opeth song... :worship:

Too many moments, I really can't think enough to list them all :). But I really enjoy playing the 'Run away' part of Demon on guitar.

I guess from Deliverance I really like 5:28 of Master's Apprentices... the guitar tone is really emotional and the strumming in the background fits really well... high emotional point of the album.

I think 'My Arms Your Hearse' has the most good 'small parts', because the best lyrics and the darkest sound is here.
"April Ethereal" and "When" are fantastic, and though I like 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise' more, it's still 'MAYH' which has the most profound mood. I think.

Wow that's weird, because for me, MAYH has the least amount of atmosphere in it!

Im not trying to knock you down or anything, thats just what i've always felt. Its still an amazing album, but it doesnt create much of a mood for me, its more of an adrenaline rush than anything IMO!

as much as i have yet to get over the BloodPeth comparison (which is true in my opinion) I have to say that this new CD really is something!

As usual, I'm loving it more and more, and due to the feel it has it already jumped over BWP and orchid on my fav list. It has yet to catch up Still Life and MAYH, and it will most likely never catch up with Morningrise...

my favorite opeth moment is in bleak during that crazzzy layered chord progression about midway through the song, followed by a great jazzy bass line, gives me chills