Top 5 Least Favorite Opeth Songs

i love moonlapse vertigo too, if i had to choose a least favorite it would be By the Pain i See in Others or Eternal Soul Torture, but bonus tracks aside haha, im not really sure, i usually dont like a song then find myself listening to it, i guess blackwater park or wreath

still though i love opeth :worship: and it pains me to choose a least favorite haha:puke:

Black Rose Immortal - a lot of great ideas balled up into one incoherent dirge of pretentious nonsense. I count at least 6 times where the song could and should have ended. Not to say that the music following these potential endings is bad, but that they should have been used in something else or just developed into their own songs.

Credence - just irritates me.

Closure - Sounds like it's about to explode, but it doesn't. It really frustrates me because it could have been an incredible song if they'd just sucked up their pride and given it a proper heavy ending. It was begging for it throughout, and you can tell through Lopez's percussion that he was looking for a big drum fill going into a good ol' double bass fest.

The Amen Corner - meeeeeeh

Atonement - too repetitive.

Into The Frost Of Winter and Eternal Soul Torture are basically self-explanitory due to production. Probably go with Hours of Wealth and Weakness, and maybe Ending Credits. Some of their melodic stuff is amazing (Epilogue, Windowpane, Closure etc.) but those 3 just dont seem worth listening to =\. Also I dont see how people can even think about putting A Fair Judgement or To Bid You Farewell...They'd better be joking...

Ignoring the demo and the bonus tracks, in no order:

By The Pain I See In Others.
Under The Weeping Moon
The Twilight Is My Robe
The Grand Conjuration
Nectar

These songs are generally crap. They may have some bits in them that i love/like.. But as a whole, i hate/dislike them.

My least favorite songs from Opeth at the moment:

Eternal Soul Torture - The sound quality totally ruins it, and is perhaps my least played Opeth song.
The Amen Corner - After April Ethereal and When, this song is no where near as good, but it has some pretty cool parts.. Still it's kinda boring in places.

heh, can't think of anymore at the more... btw, I love The Grand Conjuration. :Spin:

The Grand Conjuration - Poppy intro puts me off the rest of the song, which is boring anyway.
Beneath The Mire - See 'The Grand Conjuration'
April Ethereal - Always bored the daylights out of me.
The Funeral Portrait - Just never liked it
A Fair Judgment - Likewise

I can't really say I dislike any Opeth songs entirely... But here's some less-incredible ones

Blackwater Park - Just doesn't work for me...
Weakness - Something a little more lively should follow Ending Credits IMO
Black Rose Immortal - I'm too A.D.D. for this one most of the time...
Beneath the Mire - I guess this one is just too much of a departure from standard Opeth fare for me at times!
Nectar - The bass just throws me off in this song... Feels a bit disarrayed and chaotic at times!

Ugh! I feel bad even having to think about how to criticize Opeth. Especially since I couldn't write anything anywhere near as good as the least impressive Opeth song!

Opeth have a few songs, very few admittedly, that I just plain don't like, and they are, for the most part, quiet songs with little or no variation:

1. Harvest
2. Weakness
3. The fourth track on 'Ghost Reveries', "Atonement" is it? So boring.
4. Benighted
5. The sixth track on 'Ghost Reveries', it's so vomit-inducingly sooooft

Seeing "Harlequin Forest" called "boring" is a rather screwed up experience. That song has it all, compared especially to the five trax listed above.

Moonlapse Vertigo is absolutely mesmerising. It is such a portal, and I find myself following the path of the protagonist as the lyrics creep in. In many albums I find the quality drop towards the middle but Moonlapse simply raises Still Life onto an epic platform.
Moonlapse Vertigo should go into the songwriting hall of fame. It shows everything that's great about Mike's style - he controls his clean vocals masterfully, his growls are guttural and relentless, his solo on the song is immaculate and the flow and feel of it are matched by only a handful of Opeth songs. My only gripe with it is that I wish it got a proper ending, just like The Drapery Falls, Closure, Serenity Painted Death and Master's Apprentices. I find it disappointing that they used the fade-out on such great songs.

5. The sixth track on 'Ghost Reveries', it's so vomit-inducingly sooooft
You're talking about Hours of Wealth, which is imo an incredible song.

Personaly i think its an great song. Love the brutal ending with that cool acoustic riff there. And the "Nothing ever changes" part is awesome too. But i understand what you mean with repeating "rise to submission" parts. And i totaly agree with you that the ending is stupid and boring..
I can really appreciate the "nothing ever changes" part, but to me the rest of the song is just too bland and boring.
Anyway, I appreciate the tasteful comment.

i love moonlapse vertigo too, if i had to choose a least favorite it would be By the Pain i See in Others or Eternal Soul Torture, but bonus tracks aside haha, im not really sure, i usually dont like a song then find myself listening to it, i guess blackwater park or wreath

still though i love opeth :worship: and it pains me to choose a least favorite haha:puke:

BTPISIO is not a bonus track :p

my least favourites, hmm, thinking ... I guess Dirge for November, Atonement (perhaps it would have worked a lot better if it was placed on another album from a side project), and perhaps Silhouette (which is overrated).

Closure - Sounds like it's about to explode, but it doesn't. It really frustrates me because it could have been an incredible song if they'd just sucked up their pride and given it a proper heavy ending. It was begging for it throughout, and you can tell through Lopez's percussion that he was looking for a big drum fill going into a good ol' double bass fest.

than you like the live version better? I know I do ... I also don't like it that they didn't put the improvisation ending that builds up so great on the album (at least one version of it).

hmmm. Well ignoring bonus tracks...
-Demon of the Fall. (yes really. Compared to some of the Opethian works, it's a lesser.)
- hope leaves (the beginning of the lesser half of the album IMO)
- Nectar (some people call it underrated, I think it's about where it should be)
- Amen corner (most of the time)
- Isolation Years (just a bit too sweet)
- Night & the silent water (the growling, although I love growls, seems out of place here- good buildup towards end though)

I feel like I have sinned just writing this list.

Come to think about it,no one ever mentions Benighted on either "good" lists or "bad" lists,at least not from what i have seen. That´s kind of strange since i think it´s one of the Opeth tracks that stand out the most among Opeths songs. Personally it´s on my good list.

Seeing The Moor and Moonlapse Vertigo on anybody's list just seems, I don't know...wrong somehow...I mean, these are two of their best songs, period. :rolleyes: I don't often make negative comments on others' tastes, but...are these people really listening? :cry: