Opeth songs you hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan_lol

Sex Babies
Jun 25, 2008
Arizona
I hate to be negative, but what Opeth songs do you hate, and why? For me:

Weakness - God dammit I hate that keyboard patch. And it's really fucking boring, they should have ended Damnation with some thing really heavy, that would have been amazing.

Atonement - JESUS CHIRST THIS IS BORING AHHHHH IT JUST GOES ON AND ON

Porcelain Heart - The riffs in the song repeat for twice as long as they should. It is the songwriting equivalent of writing a novel that says every world twice. The radio edit is actually better.

I personally don't hate any whole songs, but i absolutely hate it when they go from a mad fast bit to an extremley slow and boring part. Sometimes it works well others are predictable and quite frustrating. Eg. 4:07 - 5:48 in The Lotus Eater. Great song overall I just hate having to skip past that.

I dont hate any of their songs, I'm just saying the ones I think are mediocre I guess..

Silhouette - I love the idea, I wish piano was used more in Opeth, but this coulda been a lot better.
Moonlapse Vertigo - I just can't get into this song, though I dig the first half. The rest pretty much does nothing for me.

I don't dislike any Opeth songs. I find Weakness's message extremely powerful in its simplicity, especially the last two lines. "I'm not afraid of what you have just done/ But of what you've just become." That hit me hard the first time I heard it, with the way the keyboard cuts out to leave only his voice at the very end. Atonement just wasn't enough, in my opinion. I respect that they were trying something new, and giving Per a chance to shine, but the lyrics are bland as well as the structure, and the chorus of "aah" doesn't really do much to help it out. With that being said, I like the guitar 'theme,' which is enough to make me listen to it every once in a while.

One song I was never too fond of was Under the Weeping Moon. I thought the interlude was too dragged out, and the lyrics a bit too much of a black metal cliche. Now, though, after hearing it on Roundhouse Tapes, I've been more into it. I think it has some of the better Opeth riffs in it. Although Blackwater Park is by far my favorite album of all time, I had trouble getting into Dirge for November at first because of the intro, but after listening to it for a while, I grew to absolutely love the heavy riffs, namely the verse riff with the tritones and the one before it with the bending lead over it. The outro has some excellent chord choice, and the icy atmosphere makes it truly chilling to the bone. When that song ends, I always feel the need for silent reflection.

Yea, disregard my last post. I forgot about Porcelain Heart.

The structure is not good, because the heavy opening riff nor the acoustic verse riff are enough to stand on their own, and as the OP pointed out, they repeat too many times anyway. From the vocal rhythm seemingly borrowed from To Rid the Disease to the heavy "aah" riff which seems to be a bland mix between the acoustic interlude in Ghost of Perdition and the main riff from The Grand Conjuration, I just can't listen to that song.

But really, I don't think it's possible to actually hate an Opeth song. I love the different elements they add to their music. Perhaps some parts of a song seem rather dull, but it balances out with the rest of the song.

There are no songs that I really hate, but there are ones I don't particularly like, such as:

By The Pain I See in Others - Quite a mediocre one imo. All over the place, disjointed and lacks any spirit. There are some nice parts, like the "nothing ever changes" chant and the first "rise to submission", but overall it's a very confused, annoying-sounding piece to me.

Porcelain Heart - I think it's evident that the song's been scrapped twice before reaching its current shape. It's very disjointed and lacks a punch. I think in some areas it just cries out for some growls. It also reeks of older songs, like The Grand Conjuration and To Rid the Disease, which isn't something that would regularly bother me, seeing how Hessian Peel has a riff that's very reminiscent of the "chorus" riff in A Fair Judgement, but here it really, really stands out.

Black Rose Immortal - Just cut every segment of it into a song of its own and it's awesome. As it is, it's a disjointed 20 minutes that feels very Ctrl+C Ctrl+V.

Hate is a word I reserve for those that really deserve it, not for songs of my favorite band. That being said, I don't particularly like 'Hex Omega', 'Atonement', 'Harvest' (this one is actually growing on me at the moment though), 'Isolation Years', 'Weakness', 'Hours of Wealth', and that Robin Trower-cover is awful :lol:

While I don't hate them, there's a few songs I don't think are that great...

Wreath: Parts are good, but a lot of it is too repetitive and boring. The rest of the album makes up for it, though.

Dirge For November: Way too boring for me.

The Funeral Portrait: Some cool riffs, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

The Grand Conjuration: Too repetitive. It could have been good if they shaved four or five minutes off it.

Porcelain Heart: Same as "Conjuration." The only part I like is the mellow part in the middle. Beautiful. But the rest is filler to my ears.

Weakness - God dammit I hate that keyboard patch. And it's really fucking boring, they should have ended Damnation with some thing really heavy, that would have been amazing.

I actually agreed with you the first few times I heard the song. It wasn't until about a year or two after I got the album that I "got" it. Now I really think it's awesome, more as an album closer than a stand alone track.

Status
Not open for further replies.