how do people like this get their hands on opeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
id go for the older stuff (rather, styles), i find it better at least. (the first two lists)

City of Caterpillar is a must as well, imo.

really just check out www.fourfa.com for info on emo and http://www.mesaverde.co.uk/mp3/ for a lot of mp3 samples divided up into the different subgenres

Necromantic-Hiko's list is pretty good though, though I wouldn't consider stuff like Jawbreaker and Hot Water Music emocore, it's more like emo-influenced punk. HWM's Fuel for the Hate Game is one of my favorite albums though!

affinityband said:
ah ok, well what bands are 'emo' to you. Im not sure i grasp this properly. As far as not liking Opeth, its fair enough. But it would be a bit of a waste to dislike them because of a small number of fans. if thats the reason.. Or it just bores the shit out of you :lol:

they used to be my favorite band, i have every album up through damnation, i just moved on. i barely even listen to metal any more. overkilling on it for something like 4 years will do that to you. that said, even when i listened to a lot of metal there was a decent amount of time when i thought opeth was mediocre.

Spectacular Views said:
Saetia - A Retrospective RULES (even if the vocals are laughably gay at times)

the 'laughably gay vocals' brings to mind postlapsaria and the poet you never were

but i like postlapsaria...

Necromantic-Hiko said:
the 'laughably gay vocals' brings to mind postlapsaria and the poet you never were

but i like postlapsaria...

I think it's One Dying Wish I'm thinking of, the dual vocal screaming of "Where did we begin?" is just so ridiculously over the top.

I think it's kinda funny how much the singer sounds like a Varg Vikernes though, kinda makes metal fan's accusations of emo having wussy vocals rather amusing.

Spectacular Views said:
really just check out www.fourfa.com for info on emo and http://www.mesaverde.co.uk/mp3/ for a lot of mp3 samples divided up into the different subgenres

Necromantic-Hiko's list is pretty good though, though I wouldn't consider stuff like Jawbreaker and Hot Water Music emocore, it's more like emo-influenced punk. HWM's Fuel for the Hate Game is one of my favorite albums though!

they used to be my favorite band, i have every album up through damnation, i just moved on. i barely even listen to metal any more. overkilling on it for something like 4 years will do that to you. that said, even when i listened to a lot of metal there was a decent amount of time when i thought opeth was mediocre.

After that long i am starting to get tired of it. I still love it though.

metal_wrath said:
that doesn't explain screamo:Smug:

SCREAMOTIONAL HARDCORE

Late 90s to Present

Screamo is the worst genre name ever, this much we can all agree on. It has become one of the most annoying and abused terms ever, used to describe any modern hardcore band that has cheesey bits or "emotional" lyrics. A shitty explanation is that Hardcore Emo sort of died in the mid-90s and turnt into mushy indie-emo for a while, but when the whole chaotic thing took off again the new bands were known as screamo. Thanks for that, jerks! Screamo took off in a huge way though, with ORCHID, REVERSAL OF MAN, USURP SYNAPSE, JEROME'S DREAM and HASSAN I SABBAH taking the Uranus style and making it even faster and even more chaotic. When you compare this stuff to the very first emo bands, you'll see why the "screamo" distinction is made. You'll often hear of "Witching-Hour style screamo", Witching Hour was a record label who put out a shitload of seminal screamo releases including most of the bands in this list.

This style is still alive and kicking in 2005, especially in Europe. Phoenix Bodies, Kaospilot and Shikari are examples of bands who've taken the standard format but did something a little different, whilst bands like The Apoplexy Twist Orchestra and Louis Cyphre are much more akin to the Witching Hour style. It's been beaten to death a little though, and bands have started trying to combine the intensity and chaos with the exact opposite...

:confused:

Spectacular Views said:
emo IS emotional hardcore punk. to me, when it can no longer be considered a subgenre or at least offshoot of hardcore punk, it isn't emo any more.

and i wouldnt disagree about the opeth thing i just dont like them :confused:

if you dont like opeth, why the fuck are you here?

a) because the you're a retarded troll
b) because you have no life
c) because you're a fucking idiot
d) all of the above

the answer is d.

HaloPhenomenon said:
"this is a foreign thread imo"

Foreign as in? what is the nationality of the opeth forum? The united states is a homochristian country.
homo christian... lulz

Status
Not open for further replies.