Top 5 Least Favorite Opeth Songs

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
Not really including things like Requiem, Prologue and the like, or demos and covers, what are your top 5 least favorite Opeth songs (and give some reasons too!)?

Mine would be as follows ('twas a very tough decision):
Weakness- Just not anything special as a song. Pretty boring, bland and not outstanding, so it tops the list.
The Apostle in Triumph- It gets good near the end (I also do love the flamenco/acoustic ditty at the start, whether it was meant to be in Requiem or tAiT or not), but overall it's probably the messiest Opeth song, not very well-crafted and the transitions are pretty bad.
The Amen Corner- Kind of boring at parts, still not a bad song, just nothing amazing. There is one fantastic section, which would be the abrupt acoustic break a couple of minutes or so in (you probably know what I'm talking about), but as a coherent song, structurally, it's fairly weak as Opeth songs go, I suppose.
Reverie/Harlequin Forest- Uneven, just plain bland and boring, really not what I would expect from Opeth. I know a lot of people flat-out adore this song, but I don't see why at all. It's easily the most boring Opeth song, and really doesn't need to be nearly as long, IMO.
The Funeral Portrait- This is to a lesser extent, it's not a really bad song, it's just mediocre compared to, say, its album-mates BWP or The Drapery Falls. I even prefer Dirge for November, to be honest. An okay, listenable song, but not much more, is what I'd say.

Some runners-up (some Opeth tunes I'm not too fond of either):
Beneath the Mire
Credence
Forest of October
Death Whispered a Lullaby
By the Pain I See in Others
Closure

The fact that requiem is cut in half still bothers me. How the hell could the mixing guy mess that up?

I can't decide right now one which 5 are my least favorite, they're all so good.

Not really including things like Requiem, Prologue and the like, or demos and covers, what are your top 5 least favorite Opeth songs (and give some reasons too!)?

Mine would be as follows ('twas a very tough decision):
Weakness- Just not anything special as a song. Pretty boring, bland and not outstanding, so it tops the list.
The Apostle in Triumph- It gets good near the end (I also do love the flamenco/acoustic ditty at the start, whether it was meant to be in Requiem or tAiT or not), but overall it's probably the messiest Opeth song, not very well-crafted and the transitions are pretty bad.
The Amen Corner- Kind of boring at parts, still not a bad song, just nothing amazing. There is one fantastic section, which would be the abrupt acoustic break a couple of minutes or so in (you probably know what I'm talking about), but as a coherent song, structurally, it's fairly weak as Opeth songs go, I suppose.
Reverie/Harlequin Forest- Uneven, just plain bland and boring, really not what I would expect from Opeth. I know a lot of people flat-out adore this song, but I don't see why at all. It's easily the most boring Opeth song, and really doesn't need to be nearly as long, IMO.
The Funeral Portrait- This is to a lesser extent, it's not a really bad song, it's just mediocre compared to, say, its album-mates BWP or The Drapery Falls. I even prefer Dirge for November, to be honest. An okay, listenable song, but not much more, is what I'd say.

Some runners-up (some Opeth tunes I'm not too fond of either):
Beneath the Mire
Credence
Forest of October
Death Whispered a Lullaby
By the Pain I See in Others
Closure

wow your taste seems to be pretty similar to mine then. i agree about harlequin forest to a certain extent,but i think the last half contains one of the best acoustic passages ever in opeth.
the intro riff to amen corner sounds pretty useless to me,i dont get whats even remotely good about that riff,but still the song contains some good part.
Forest of october i also agree about, i think it´s probably the most overrated song, theres nothing special that actually happens in that song.
beneath the mire i also agree about, the intro riff is just bland to me, although the next riff is pretty cool and the acoustic section is good.
When is also a song that i dont get at all, and i am stunned that some people actually have that as their favorite opeth song, i thinks it´s pretty bland.

But really, it tells something of the high level of a band when even your least favourite songs all contain at least one or two parts in them you like:headbang:

Hmmmm....

1) By the Pain I See in Others - that's simply the only song I'd consider a truly bad Opeth song. It's just all over the place, very confused-sounding and uninspired. I also didn't like the rise to submission parts, and they're repeated too many times. On top of that, that Master's Apprentices rewind thing at the end is beyond unnecessary.

2) Death Whispered a Lullaby - nothing particularly wrong about it, it just doesn't feel very Opeth to me. I think it's appropriate that Steven Wilson wrote the song, because I feel it would have been much better as a Porcupine Tree song.

3) Requiem - I don't think I've ever been wholly interested throughout the entire song.

4) Black Rose Immortal - I know my opinion wouldn't be shared by many others if any, but I always thought the song sound like a few songs combined. Each of its part is awesome on its own, but as one song it feels quite unfocused and weird.

5) Atonement - I simply don't like the sound of it. I like the little guitar thing he does at the start and after the aaaaahhhhhhh parts, but the rest of the song didn't really ever grab me.

lol Btpisio is awesome man, if u can't appreciate it u must be deaf.

cheers

i just listened to BTPISIO after seeing this, i think it´s a really cool song, in fact, it´s one of the songs that "sounds most opeth"

how can you possible don't like Closure? ... it's too bad that the cd version cuts off like it does, but the lamentations version or other live ones are amazing and certainly some of their best stuff

Atonement - there are not many reasons for me disliking this song except: it bores me.
Patterns In The Ivy - I mean the number one. Not a bad song, but it's really mediocre imo, unnecessary even.
Under The Weeping Moon - Yeah, I know, this is gonna get flamed, but I simply hate the mid part with the same chord hold over and over with all the effects on it. When it comes to that part, I skip it, and that's a shame, cause the second part of it, particularly the acoustic break when it goes "Burn the winter landmarks that said I was there": I love that acoustic part. But I simply can't stand the other.
Madrigal - same as Atonement.
Beneath The Mire - although I actually don't dislike this song, it feels kind of "weak".

1) By the Pain I See in Others - that's simply the only song I'd consider a truly bad Opeth song. It's just all over the place, very confused-sounding and uninspired. I also didn't like the rise to submission parts, and they're repeated too many times. On top of that, that Master's Apprentices rewind thing at the end is beyond unnecessary.

Personaly i think its an great song. Love the brutal ending with that cool acoustic riff there. And the "Nothing ever changes" part is awesome too. But i understand what you mean with repeating "rise to submission" parts. And i totaly agree with you that the ending is stupid and boring..

Least favorite...

1) Ending Credits - the closest thing to "filler" Opeth has ever released...just plain dull
2) The Grand Conjuration - at first I kind of liked the main theme, but got really tired of it quickly...just not all that interesting of a song
3-5) Pick any 3 songs from Morningrise other than TNATSW - I just don't like the "grainy", under-produced sound of Morningrise. I understand many call it their "masterpiece", but I just don't see it. To each his own.