Prog Rock

Phrozenspite

Inhuman nihilist
Jun 27, 2003
NH, a cultural wasteland
Visit site
So... the other day I came to the conclusion that I haven't given Prog and Fusion the attention it deserves... so what should I snag, specifically is there anything symphonic/epic in the prog field or would most of that sound dated...
I love King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, what I've heard of Camel, and obviously Rush... but I haven't delved into much else.
As far as prog metal goes Symphony X and Opeth are favorites of mine, I hate Dream Theater... mainly looking for non-metal stuff though and I don't stomach classic rock/hard rock-esque stuff well because I usually feel its underdeveloped

MAGMA
Van der Graaf Generator
Gordian Knot

GK are more conventional in approach than the two aforementioned bands, but they manage to create an interesting atmosphere.

Early Genesis, if you want non-metal stuff; but you might want to go and ask about prog-rock in the non-metal threads. There's actually a Genesis thread over their already that me and some others have posted in. If you want progressive, you'd enjoy their early material (don't think the cheesy eighties stuff).

Anyways, Jethro Tull is famous for combining progressive and folk elements. You probably already know them, but if you haven't given more of their 70s stuff a listen, definitely do that (specifically Thick As a Brick, A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses, and Stormwatch).