Anyone Know any Bands like Porcupine Tree, Interpol, Sigor Ros, Radiohead?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
So, does anyone know of any cutting edge quality rock bands like the ones aforementioned? I am looking for emotion, buildups, musicianship, atmosphere- not stupid little songs with lame hooks. For Example, I was told Wilco was good- but I was rather unimpressed- some songs were exemplary- most were pedestrian simple songwriting.

speed said:
So, does anyone know of any cutting edge quality rock bands like the ones aforementioned? I am looking for emotion, buildups, musicianship, atmosphere- not stupid little songs with lame hooks. For Example, I was told Wilco was good- but I was rather unimpressed- some songs were exemplary- most were pedestrian simple songwriting.
There is a band I like quite a lot called The 3rd and the Mortal and a friend told me they sound like Radiohead. I don't know that (I don't know Radiohead) but perhaps this is of some help anyway.

If you are into earlier Radiohead, then you would like Muse.

If you want atmosphere and emotion, a lot of slow funeral/atmospheric doom is astounding. Check out my thread I just made about Pantheïst. Check em out!

Old school Mortiis are good.

Old Man Gloom are awesome. The dude from Isis is in it...who also are great.

Check out Buckethead's solo albums. His new one, Electric Tears, is a beautiful piece chaulkful with emotion galore. Slower album for him.

As far as rock..oops...lol...How about Cave In? Definately cutting-edge. Every album is different too.

Bjork??

....check out Pantheïst :)

All the recommendations besides Muse so far are not at all what he was looking for.

Speed, try these bands:
Aereogramme, And None of Them Knew They Were Robots, And They Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead (you'll love this one), dredg (absolutely a must), and Elliott (especially False Cathedrals and Song in the Air). Also, give Cave In's album Jupiter a try.

Porcuine Tree are one of my favorite bands. I recommend them to everyone I know. Check out their latest In Absentia then work your way back.

I just recently got into Sigur Ros, but they are also quite incredible. I only have (), but it is great. Totally unlike anything I've heard before, and pretty much impossible to explain. Definetely need an open mind for this one.

Lift Your Skinny Fists is a very flawed release. Half the material is excellent, half is pointless. It's only a 5 / 10 release due to that. One half is some of the best I've heard in the genre, the other half is the worst. It should have been a 40+ minute album, not an 80+ minute album. They desperately need an editor.

And what's with the guy recommending Porcupine Tree and Sigur Ros? Of course Speed wanted bands LIKE them, not the bands THEMSELVES.

Jesus, some people can't read.

LuminousAether said:
Lift Your Skinny Fists is a very flawed release. Half the material is excellent, half is pointless. It's only a 5 / 10 release due to that. One half is some of the best I've heard in the genre, the other half is the worst. It should have been a 40+ minute album, not an 80+ minute album. They desperately need an editor.
Well I can probably see what you are referring to.... but those "pointless" parts are probably some of my favorite parts on the album... its all just a matter of taste. For example, the last 8 or so minutes of "Antennas to Heaven" is probably one of those parts you are referring to.... no buildups or anything, but they add a tremendous amount of atmosphere and feeling to the music.... paticularly the "Deathkamp Drone" section. Personally, I wouldn't like the album if it was streamlined to just build-drop-build-drop, etc.... I love the random, wandering feel of it all. Its all good imo.

LuminousAether said:

And what's with the guy recommending Porcupine Tree and Sigur Ros? Of course Speed wanted bands LIKE them, not the bands THEMSELVES.

Jesus, some people can't read.
Well, you're right, I read that too fast.

Thank you for having a spazz over it. Please forgive me.

Well thank you all so far- I have all of Godspeed's albums, as well as all of Cave In's albums, and the two albums Old Man Gloom has put out.

I will definitely try Pantheist, Muse, Dredg, Trail of the Dead etc.

Thanks everyone.

Pineapple Thief.

Also, you may want to (or possibly you already have) check out the many GY!BE side-projects, A Silver Mt. Zion, Set Fire To Flames, Esmerine, Shalabi Effect, etc.

Also (as Luminous said) be sure to check out Aereogramme. Good stuff.

Check out:

Iran- s/t
Joy Division (though I assume you have already done this if you like Interpol)
The For Carnation
The Fire Show
Biota
Autechre

and, because it's awesome, Bob Drake's The Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors.