Anyone know any of these bands?

Ayeka

Hell Bent For Leather!
Feb 23, 2002
Visit site
These are from a 1989 compilation of underground UK Thrash bands called A Taste Of Armageddon. Overall it's pretty good shit but none of these bands made it big and as such nobody knows anything about them :(

Treason
Deviant
Snyper
First Blood
Arbitrater
Metal Messiah
Wreckage
Resentment
Warpspeed
Purgatory

I know a bit about Trason, and that Metal Messiah put out an album called Honour Among Theives. Apparently Arbitrater put out two albums....anyone know anything? :confused:

This definately ain't the same Purgatory, though, unless they fired all their English members and got crazy foreigners :loco: although, if anyone knows anything about early Iced Earth (cos I sure don't :p) we might find some correlation...

Purgatory (former Iced Earth) had to change name before they could get signed, because there were another band calling themselves Purgatory that had just got signed before them. But I'm pretty sure Purgatory is an American band, you said all of those bands were english?

Aye, all English. The song in question is called Warring Factions and is about two minutes long, although it sounds suspiciously like they ran out of room on the vinyl and just cut them off partway through :loco:

Metal Messiah at one point featured some guys who were in Paralex, who were a NWOBHM band that released an ep that is rather hard to find and expensive. Metallica at one point had considered covering the Paralex song White Lightning, but couldn't find anyone from the band to get the lyrics and scraped the cover according to metal folklore (they had also planned to cover an Angelwitch song as well) and did the Wait instead.

Ooooh, wow! Don't suppose you know names/instruments? ^_^ The two Metal Messiah songs I have are credited to an I. Smith and a Mr Darrack, but they don't appear in the Paralex lineup :(

EDIT : Tell a lie! Is the Kev Bower who played drums in Paralex the same Kev in Metal Messiah? ;)

Ayeka said:
These are from a 1989 compilation of underground UK Thrash bands called A Taste Of Armageddon. Overall it's pretty good shit but none of these bands made it big and as such nobody knows anything about them :(

Treason
Deviant
Snyper
First Blood
Arbitrater
Metal Messiah
Wreckage
Resentment
Warpspeed
Purgatory

I know a bit about Trason, and that Metal Messiah put out an album called Honour Among Theives. Apparently Arbitrater put out two albums....anyone know anything? :confused:
hmm really old thread...but a band called Snyper? :err: *pulls a metallica and sues the band* :)

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I have just had this link forwarded to me and I thought I’d be able to answer a few of the questions, especially about Metal Messiah as I was the vocalist on Honour Among Thieves and the Taste Of Armageddon compilation.

Ok I don't really know where to start so I’ll do a run down of the MM history and that hopefully will answer most of the points raised.

Back in the punk days there was a punk band called the Varukers, Members where:- Rat (vocals), Biff aka Ian Smith (guitar) Graham Kerr (Bass) and Kev Frost (drums). Rat, Biff, Graham and Kev then formed a thrash band called Arbitrator along with a second guitarist, Paul Miles (who later appeared on Nefilim’s Zoon Album). I think at the time Rat was still a bit too Punk rock on the vocals, so he was replaced by Phil Ayling (from Parelex, the Metallica story I believe is true), Grem Darroch replaced PM on guitar and the band changed names to Metal Messiah.
This line up recorded one demo and that earned them a slot on BBC’s Friday Rock Show (which at the time was the only place you could hear metal on the radio, this is England after all). After a while it was felt that Phil’s vocal style didn’t really fit the band and that’s when I was asked to join, I’m Jim by the way.
This line up recorded the “Madman” demo. Half of the track Madman made it onto the Metal Hammer’s Best of British Steel album and another track “Bitch” appeared on another UK thrash compilation.
The band got involved with management and that’s when things started to fall apart. We had plenty of offers to produce an album on an independent label but were told to hang out for a major, at the same time WEA had their hands burned by Slammer’s “Work of Idle Hands” after a big signing and that pretty much killed all hopes of another UK thrash band getting a major deal. Honour Among Thieves was funded by the management and the production and sound left a lot to be desired, which is a shame as the songs were really good, one of our big fans the late Paul Miller from Kerrang, hammered the album in the press and about the same time Biff, Kev and Graham turned back to their punk rock roots.
Biff went on to form Sick On The Bus and still plays from time to time with the reformed Varukers. Arbitrator carried on with Rat and PM but I think they called it a day about the same time as we did.
Still keep thinking about a Metal Messiah reunion and I guess one day it may happen, I would love to do it. I’m still very impressed that you remembered us especially you guys from across the Atlantic.

Cheers

It was good to reminisce
Jim Aspinall