Poll: How many of these bands you know?

How many of these bands you have actually heard?

• Abattoir (US)

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Abstrakt Algebra (Swe)

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Black Knight (Can)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Culprit (US)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Exorcist (US)

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • H-Bomb (Fr)

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Jaguar (UK)

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Pariah (UK)

• Phenomena (UK)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Solitude Aeturnus (US)

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Sortilege (Fr)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Warhead (UK)

• Total voters

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Thinking about the Candlemass thread and based on my recent experience with OS bands that I never heard before I wanted to put some bands I have, and that IMO are genuine jewels worth to have in the collection.

So I will put the names and please vote to know how many of these you have actually heard the music.

Multiple vote is of course allowed to see the results better :headbang:

Well Solitude Aeturnus is by far the best band on the list.. and second best is Abstract Algebra. Sortilege were cool, especially their ep, but i prefer Steel Angel when it comes to french metal, Black Knight's demos are far better than the ep and their singer had really the most metal-ish voice a woman ever had, Culprit's heavy metal is good fun (and the only band from the list that i have seen live), the other bands are all in the category "Good but not great (except Warhead and Phenomena - i havent heard them), Exorcist are the exception maybe because their "thrash" metal was special and unique very atmospheric for a thrash band.
The rumor about David Defeis being behind the Exorcist project, is false.

Yeah , Culprit, one of my favorit 80's bands. Some more good 80's stuff I can advise (if you haven't heard them by accident); Savage Grace, Damien Thorne, Warlord, Ocean (Fr) , Vow Wow (Jap, earlier were called Bow Wow, but Vow is better), Anvil, Stampede (first live album is a classic to me , rest so so), Chateaux, Oz, Liege Lord, Znöwhite, Hirax, Zoetrope (last 3 are some of the purest Thrash to me, close to crossover but still very "Metal"), Dammaj, Toxik (man, what an album World Circus is !!!), Voivod, Hexx, Tokyo Blade, Helstar, Legend (english Folk Metal! GREAT) , Nasty Savage (that's what I call Powermetal :) ), Laaz Rockit....
Well that's all I can come up in a glimpse, there must be much more, but any of these I think is worth checking out, well their early 80's stuff anyway !!
Oh yeah, I have to promote some newer stuff too;
Vision Devine, Masterplan, Sun Caged, Ayreon, Dreamscape, ...

AntonCrowley_16 said:
speaking of bands no1 really knows.......does anyone know who Cyclone Temple is? :worship:
Never heard of it, I guess My Friend you're Lonely on this one :p

@ Sickboy: you get the broadband connection, get you ass into SS and I'll feed you with those bands ;)

carnut said:
Warlord
Tokyo Blade
Warlord and Tokyo Blade (especially the two albums with Alan MArsh on vocals) are among the best stuff ever made in metal. I didn't want to extend the list too much, but I'm glad to see more stuff being thrown to the field (the rest of the bands you put are also enough material for more than one poll :cool: ).

AntonCrowley_16 said:
speaking of bands no1 really knows.......does anyone know who Cyclone Temple is? :worship:

Yeah, they are out of Chicago and released two albums, I believe. The singer now fronts a wannabe Pantera-jump-around band called Rebels Without Applause. :yuk:

Solitude Aeturnus= :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Through The Darkest Hour is in my top ten albums of all time! Awesome Doom Metal! Even better than Candlemass, IMO!

AntonCrowley_16 said:
I haven´t heard anything by them, but I know that Znowhite guitarist Ian Tafoya aka Greg Fulton founded them after Znowhite split up.

Of this list I have heard Abbatoir, Exorcist, Solitude Aeturnus, and Jaguar but I am by no means truly familair with any of them. I now plan on looking into every band mentioned in the pole.

To throw in another band - EVILDEAD. Cool thrash metal band of the late 80's/early 90's featuring former members of Abbatoir and Agent Steel.

Walter_Langkowski said:
Yeah, they are out of Chicago and released two albums, I believe. The singer now fronts a wannabe Pantera-jump-around band called Rebels Without Applause. :yuk:

Solitude Aeturnus= :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Through The Darkest Hour is in my top ten albums of all time! Awesome Doom Metal! Even better than Candlemass, IMO!
They released 3.....I Hate Myself Therefore I Am, My Friend Lonely, and Building Errors in the Machine....all kick ass albums....if ne1s interested in downloading them i can rip them and put them in my soulseek folder

Abattoir (US) [Yep know them! I have their debut on vinyl great band]

Abstrakt Algebra (Swe) [Good band. I have their album. Formed by Leif Edling after Candlemass broke up in 1995]

Black Knight (Can) [Can't say that I know them]

Culprit (US) [The first real prog-metal band ever? Great album fantastic band!]
Exorcist (US) [Don't know them]

H-Bomb (Fr) [Seen these lads live as support act of Anvil at the Dynamo club]

Jaguar (UK) [Seen them live many time with all their singers. Last time at Wacken 2000]

Pariah (UK) [Old Satan. Seen them live at the Dynamo club, 4 times I believe]

Phenomena (UK) [great band with fantastic debut album]

Solitude Aeturnus (US) [Yep good band!]

Sortilege (Fr) [Heard their albums but I am not impressed]

Warhead (UK) [Like them but I don't think there special]