How many of these bands have you heard (III)?

How many of these bands you have actually heard?

• Warlord (US)

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Viper (BR)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Trouble (US)

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Tarot (FIN)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Shadow Gallery (US)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Rata Blanca (ARG)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Moon Of Steel (IT)

• Meliah Rage (US)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Malediction (FR)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Forgotten Tales (CAN)

• Total voters

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
You know the drill, already ;) (and don't cheat you have to ACTUALLY have heard at least one complete song).

Trouble has a few really good records, namely "Troube" (1990) and 1992's CLASSIC "Manic Frustration".

I know that many fans love their older, 80s material, but I just couldn't dig it.

Warlord is typical early 80s American metal. Reminds me of early Fates Warning, Omen, Lizzy Borden, etc. Nothing great.....these three other bands were/are all much better.
Actually, I think current Fates drummer, Mark Zonder, was in that band.

We have to disagree here a BIG bit. Warlord is probably one of the best power metal bands ever came out of US. Indeed Mark Zonder is the drummer, and their comeback with Joacim Cans (Hammerfall) on vocals is a wonderful album ("Rising Out Of The Ashes"). And for me they shred to pieces any of the bands you mentioned plus most of the actual power bands from US and many from Europe (but to each his own :D ).

As for Trouble I think "Psalm 9" (their debut) still is a classic of doom metal.

As far as I know I have all the Trouble Albums. I like them very much and prefer their early works. I have heard a few mp3s of Meliah Rage, but I don't remember what they sounded like :)

Just Tarot, who are pretty cool. I actually have their debut album in vinyl, trad. metal from the 80s. Good stuff, but nothing mindblowing. Their newest album, Suffer Our Pleasures, is quite a bit heavier (well, I've only heard a handful of songs off that one) and actually sounds a lot like Tad Morose (who seem to have a solid fanbase in this forum :) ). Now that I think about it, I've been meaning to get that album for over a year now... guess I should someday. :err:

The singer/bassist, Marco Hietala, is probably more familiar to a lot of you from Nightwish.

tsorl said:
Just Tarot, who are pretty cool. I actually have their debut album in vinyl, trad. metal from the 80s. Good stuff, but nothing mindblowing.

The singer/bassist, Marco Hietala, is probably more familiar to a lot of you from Nightwish.
Interesting I've been trying to find their earlier works but seemed to be OOP or never edited in CD format.

I like "Suffer Our Pleasures" a lot, one of my top ten albums of 2003. Curiously I like Marco's vocals in Tarot, they are really good along with the music, but they just made me :yuk: in Nightwish (being the last album their worst IMO).
Tarot is good power, songs like 'I Rule', 'Rider Of The Last Day'and the amazing 'From The Shadows' makes that album an instant winner.

As for Meliah Rage, I have all their albums, so if someone want some SS just PM me. :D

Wyvern said:
We have to disagree here a BIG bit. Warlord is probably one of the best power metal bands ever came out of US. Indeed Mark Zonder is the drummer, and their comeback with Joacim Cans (Hammerfall) on vocals is a wonderful album ("Rising Out Of The Ashes"). And for me they shred to pieces any of the bands you mentioned plus most of the actual power bands from US and many from Europe (but to each his own :D ).

I agree 100%! Warlord is one of the great bands of their time. Check out Lordian Guard (with Warlord guitarist/writer Bill Tsamis), who I think are even better than Warlord.

wdiv said:
I agree 100%! Warlord is one of the great bands of their time. Check out Lordian Guard (with Warlord guitarist/writer Bill Tsamis), who I think are even better than Warlord.
Thanks, I was asking this on another board ('cause somebody bought one of the LG albums) without success.
As we know after Warlord Bill Tsamis went to LG with a female vocalist and a Christian overtone in the lyrics. Most of the songs were re-fitted for the Warlord comeback "Rising Out Of The Ashes" with Joacim Cans (Hammerfall) on vocals, which IMO is a damn good album. But I've always wondered about the original versions. Will you recommend the LG albums as well?

Big D said:
I have one LP by Trouble. Shadow Gallery, Meliah Rage and Warlord are on compilaltions I have. Would love to know what Forgotten Tales sound like.
Probably not, I put it as a trick :lol: is a female fronted very flowery power band from Quebec, I only have their debut and I'm thinking about getting the new one (if available). But if you want to check them

http://www.forgottentales.com/FT_HTML/en/index.html

Wyvern said:
Thanks, I was asking this on another board ('cause somebody bought one of the LG albums) without success.
As we know after Warlord Bill Tsamis went to LG with a female vocalist and a Christian overtone in the lyrics. Most of the songs were re-fitted for the Warlord comeback "Rising Out Of The Ashes" with Joacim Cans (Hammerfall) on vocals, which IMO is a damn good album. But I've always wondered about the original versions. Will you recommend the LG albums as well?

I highly, highly reccomend their second "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" album. It definately has the Bill Tsamis guitar sound that you know from Warlord. The songs are all fairly slow-tempo and minimalistic, but very powerful, melodic and epic. I was originally a little tentative about the female vocalist (Bill's wife!), but she does a great job on these disks. She has a very deep voice, much like Nico or Patti Smith. I prefer the original version of the LG songs over those that were rerecorded with Joicam Cans on Rising out of the Ashes (and I'm a big fan of Hammerfall!)

Their first s/t album is very good too, but the material and performance are not nearly as good as "Sinners".

There was supposedly a third album recorded, that was never released. One song ("invaders") was released on a Hellion cd sampler. I am desperately seeking a bootleg copy of this album, if it exists!!!!!

The songs are Christian-based lyrically, but not in preachy way (i.e. Creed). The Biblical references are used more as a theme for some great epic lyrics.

Check these disks out (if you can find them !)

wdiv said:
I highly, highly reccomend their second "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" album. It definately has the Bill Tsamis guitar sound that you know from Warlord. The songs are all fairly slow-tempo and minimalistic, but very powerful, melodic and epic. I was originally a little tentative about the female vocalist (Bill's wife!), but she does a great job on these disks. She has a very deep voice, much like Nico or Patti Smith. I prefer the original version of the LG songs over those that were rerecorded with Joicam Cans on Rising out of the Ashes (and I'm a big fan of Hammerfall!)

Their first s/t album is very good too, but the material and performance are not nearly as good as "Sinners".

There was supposedly a third album recorded, that was never released. One song ("invaders") was released on a Hellion cd sampler. I am desperately seeking a bootleg copy of this album, if it exists!!!!!

The songs are Christian-based lyrically, but not in preachy way (i.e. Creed). The Biblical references are used more as a theme for some great epic lyrics.

Check these disks out (if you can find them !)
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Talk about being informative! Thanks a lot indeed, actually I can get both albums I believe (or I've seen them) never want to get into them for fear of geting something lame. But now I'm reassured that they worth to have
xyxthumbs.gif

Abryl said:
I only know Rata Blanca, they're good but I like Angeles Del Infierno a whole lot more. Sorry, but everytime someone mentions Rata Blanca, I have to say how great ADI are :loco:
:tickled: For that matters everytime someone mentions ADI I have to say how good Baron Rojo is. I never liked ADI singer...

Up to this day I still consider Baron Rojo early albums the best metal ever done in Spanish.

Alright...no one's chimed in about Shadow Gallery...

Started out as a Magna Carta flagship pompous prog-joke (along with Magellan). Seriously, their early albums do show a lot of promise, but can be kind of hard to take.

Their album Tyranny is perhaps the best conceived concept album after Operation: Mindcrime. Great music, thought, lyrics, conception, moods, etc. What a great metal album (kinda neo-classical, rock-opera prog...but before it became fashionable to be that).

Their most underrated was their last album, Legacy. At this point, they put the brakes on, had a few beers in the studio, and released a serious prog album...but what a great vibe...

Essentially...if you're only a passing observer...not a fan of the band, but metal in general...then Tyranny is a must have...just for the sake of metal concept albums...

If you really have a hard on for the band at that point...try their other albums...

Rock on!

Wyvern said:
:tickled: For that matters everytime someone mentions ADI I have to say how good Baron Rojo is. I never liked ADI singer...

Up to this day I still consider Baron Rojo early albums the best metal ever done in Spanish.

Oh yeah Baron Rojo were great and kinda underrated. At least in Mexico, not many people knew about them, I never heard them until like 10 years ago. I do like ADI a lot tho, I saw them live last year and they were REALLY good, I was in the front row with my brother, awesome show :D