Anyone know much about Roland V-drums?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey lads,

Want to learn the drums, and my friend is selling a v-drum rig - a TD-3KV. Does anyone know how it differs from a standard Td-3 (or a td-3 kw), as apparently it is a cheaper version?

I've been after one for some time really, and im not too bothered about the drum brain as I intend to hook it up to a more realistic drum library like Slate/Superior.

He is asking about £450 for it, and £600 with an iron cobra double pedal which is a bit steep compared to ebay perhaps, but I expect he will change on that.

Any other obvious v-drum pitfalls to be aware of?

Cheers all!

~Kev

I have a td-3 kw, it's a hell lot of fun, and you can learn a lot about drumming, though playing on a acoustic set later on will take some adjusting.

The td-3 kv has a bit smaller snare pad (although still a mesh head, so that's nice) 8' instead of 10'.

Yeah, they're both dual-zone pads.

Anywho, over time you can sell one of the pd-8 pads, and buy a hi-hat pad and another cy-8 cymbal pad (highly recommended, so you have two crashes and a ride)

Everything with e-drums is pretty modular so that's always a plus.

Sounds good mate. Thanks for your advice. Seems a lot of people dont stick with the standard kick that comes with it- is it really bad in comparison to an iron cobra or the like?

Do you mean the kick trigger or the kick pedal ? The kick trigger is ok, mine has been holding up for 2 years now so the durability factor ain't too bad either.

If you mean the kick pedal, a stock td-3 kw/kv doesn't come with any kick pedal, so it's your choice what you buy. I have a Iron Cobra.

You have to buy a drum throne and some sticks too :D

The changes are the size of the snare (don´t really matter) and the hi-hat pad. As xFkx said, you can just buy a new pad (cy-5 or cy-8, they´re not expensive) for the hi-hat and can even use the remaining pad for another tom or cymbal as the brain has one (or two, don´t remember right now) extra output. I actually have a friend that like the PD-8 (the regular pad) better on the hi hat, as it is more thick and stable.

Anyway, you can´t go much wrong with this buy. Roland v-drums are great and so is the Iron Cobra pedal. It´s quality stuff and both have high resell values if you eventually need the money back.

The changes are the size of the snare (don´t really matter) and the hi-hat pad. As xFkx said, you can just buy a new pad (cy-5 or cy-8, they´re not expensive) for the hi-hat and can even use the remaining pad for another tom or cymbal as the brain has one (or two, don´t remember right now) extra output. I actually have a friend that like the PD-8 (the regular pad) better on the hi hat, as it is more thick and stable.

Anyway, you can´t go much wrong with this buy. Roland v-drums are great and so is the Iron Cobra pedal. It´s quality stuff and both have high resell values if you eventually need the money back.

Thanks man, nice to know!

I've got a td3 with the mesh snare and cy8 as hi hats pad and it is awesome value!

I've had countless drunken friends and myself bashing the absolute crap out of it for about 4 years now and it just keeps on working. One cy8 is losing it but that was always set as a crash/ride so that one took the most abuse. Plus replacing a pad is a lot cheaper than buying a new cymbal.

If you have a half decent computer then get the cheapest roland you can and trigger other sounds. By messing with velocity layers in your drum vst you can make a td3 sound amazing and respond very well to your playing.

If you plan on using the in built sounds I wouldn't settle for anything less than a td9, unless this is strictly a purchase for practice/learning the drums. Even then I would never track with any digital drum modules, not even a td20, you can find better samples on this very site for free