anyone know of any good 7 string guitar lesson sites/books/dvds?

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I know my way around a 6 string fairly well, but anymore i solely play a 7 string and just wanna see if there's anything worthwhile out there thats helped any of you

Very few things that are only related to seven string guitars, but I'm assuming you know about http://www.sevenstring.org/

Also - Guitar World ran this add for a new Rock House video featuring Jeff Loomis so I sort of assume it's him using a seven string.

http://news.guitarworld.com/video/jeff-loomis-guitar-instruction-dvd-on-sale-april-15/

Also guitar World has a shred DVD with Jeff Loomis and from what I've seen he uses a seven string for those . It's titled Super shred - here is a link:
http://secure.nps1.net/guitarworld/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=35

Not sure of any other stuff dedicated to seven strings, but it's a start.

^ I know a little something about it :) It covers a little bit of everything really.

Also, if you want to hook up on Skype for a lesson let me know. Email me and we can set something up. I can also answer specific questions if you have them

haha guess you would know a little something about it =P, I just might do that, i wanna re-learn my scales and modes in 7 string positions

Something else to consider...

The 7th string isn't as alien as people may think. You already have a B string on your guitar, so the notes for all of your scales on that B string are going to be the same as your new B string.

I know this isn't the same as learning where an E is on the B string and then playing an E minor scale, but it is still something to think about. When I thought of things like that, it became a lot easier.

Something else to consider...

The 7th string isn't as alien as people may think. You already have a B string on your guitar lessons, so the notes for all of your scales on that B string are going to be the same as your new B string.

I know this isn't the same as learning where an E is on the B string and then playing an E minor scale, but it is still something to think about. When I thought of things like that, it became a lot easier.

The site that I get my tutorial in this matter was already given. But Dylan's advice is pretty much new and quite good too. You can go on the internet and just adapt every warmup routine out there to a 7 string. Even the CAGED system works with the Low B. They just have the same shape as the E form major and minor chords.

The 7th string isn't as alien as people may think. You already have a B string on your guitar, so the notes for all of your scales on that B string are going to be the same as your new B string.

I was gonna say this too, and it doesn't extend the range of your guitar by that much when you think about it. If it were a keyboard you were playing, having the seventh string is the equivalent of just adding an extra 5 keys (2 black and 3 white) to the low end of the keyboard. Scales, arpeggios, chords, everything are very logical extensions of what you already know.

The only thing that might be tricky when getting into 7 strings for the first time is the extra muting you need to do when playing things that don't require all 7 strings, such as octaves and power chords that aren't on the lowest strings. But it's easy. Just imagine the things you would need to learn if you originally learned on a 5 string, then changed to a 6 string.