Anyone like Lana Lane?

Entrerie

Sep 14, 2006
I think any songs she's worked on with Ayreon are golden. I like a few of her songs from the various CDs but most of it is hit or miss for me, some CDs of her's I can't stand like the one with cover songs, although the immigrant song cover was kinda cool, it's still hard for anyone to top LZ on that one. In fact the only cover I think was ever better then the original was Hammerfall's "I want out" with Kai Hansen on vocals, but that is kinda cheating :).

Do you think she would fit in at Progpower and has she ever been considered?

I love her voice and her music and I own all her studio releases. As much as I'd love to see her live someday, I don't think she would get that big of a reception at ProgPower on Friday or Saturday. Perhaps the Pre-Party though, but that might be a stretch too, depending on who's playing before or after her set.

I'd hate to see ProgPower be a disappointing experience for her because her musical style (as excellent as it is), isn't that compatible with what the PP crowd expects.

The Fiddler said:
I'd hate to see ProgPower be a disappointing experience for her because her musical style (as excellent as it is), isn't that compatible with what the PP crowd expects.

And with your Whitesnake recommendation, you apparently don't know what they would expect either!! :lol: J/K....... :p

Jasonic said:
And with your Whitesnake recommendation, you apparently don't know what they would expect either!! :lol: J/K....... :p

Yeah, I didn't expect them to win the vote, but thought it would be a good debate. Was I ever wrong! o_O Barf, hate, and cursing all over the place. I had no idea the post would have gathered that type of reaction/emotion. Had I known, I would have never had made the post. Obviously, I missed similar questions in year's past about this same topic. :erk:

While Whitesnake were a worthy and a welcomed headliner at Wacken and Bang Your Head festivals, they certainly wouldn't be here. Fortunately Glenn knows this and has stated that nobody needs to worry about seeing Whitesnake in a ProgPower lineup. He won't do it.

I don't know, I think Lana Lane is the embodiment of Prog as much as Dream Theatre or the Prog and Power combination like Symphony X. I was just wondering why I don't think I've seen her play past shows or even get put on wish lists. You can't read/listen/follow Prog or Power and not have heard about her or heard her contribution in some project or another.

So I don't understand why she wouldn't get a proper reception. I can understand if she was playing some backwater club as an opener or something, but not Progpower.

Yes, Whitesnake we are probably a little to critical of, sure we like them and grew up listening to their music and thinking unpure thoughts of Tawny Kitaen when we saw the video for "Here I go again", but they can play in the USA anytime they want in bigger venues. I'd much rather see a band that I would not have a chance to likely see play in the USA. This whole whitesnake horse has been beaten and turned into glue already, I don't mean to drag it up and have another thread debating it. Just saying that comparing what people like compared to whitesnake is not a good representation of anything.

The Fiddler said:
Yeah, I didn't expect them to win the vote, but thought it would be a good debate. Was I ever wrong! o_O Barf, hate, and cursing all over the place. I had no idea the post would have gathered that type of reaction/emotion. Had I known, I would have never had made the post. Obviously, I missed similar questions in year's past about this same topic. :erk:

While Whitesnake were a worthy and a welcomed headliner at Wacken and Bang Your Head festivals, they certainly wouldn't be here. Fortunately Glenn knows this and has stated that nobody needs to worry about seeing Whitesnake in a ProgPower lineup. He won't do it.

I was just giving you a hard time, based on the number of replies to your thread....

I'd go for Lana at PP in a heartbeat. Some of her material is good for Progpower, she'd just have to recognize where she is and tailor the setlist to the type of fans present.

Entrerie said:
I think any songs she's worked on with Ayreon are golden.

Because of that I dcided to look upon her solo works starting with "Secrets Of Astrology" (because Arjen returned the favor and played there). I became wuickly a fan of her, and now I own all her material.

Do you think she would fit in at Progpower and has she ever been considered?

She's a too tamed for an audience looking for Mercenary or the first band picked for PPVIII. Those who like the clean vocals on Epica may feel more inclined to check her.

I doubt she will fit if the idea of the festival is to mantain a certain average in the music approach, but personally I would love to have her even in the pre-party.

adaher said:
I'd go for Lana at PP in a heartbeat. Some of her material is good for Progpower, she'd just have to recognize where she is and tailor the setlist to the type of fans present.

That would be awsome if she agrees, something like:

'Through The Rain'
'Through The Fire'
'Destination Roswell'
'Evolution Revolution'
Escher's Staircase
'Symphony Of Angels (arias and fables)'
'Frankenstein Unbound'
'Speed Of Sound'
'Rhapsody'
'Ghost Beside My Bed'
'Project Shangri-La'
'The Beast Within You'
'The Dream That Never Ends'
'Summon The Devil'
'Keeper Of The Flame'

and some of her covers:

'Hold Your Head up'
'Stargazer'
'California Dreaming'
'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'

I'm a big fan as well. Some of her later material is a little . . . mellow. Still quality music, but not as appealing to me as the some of her earlier work. The older material (Secrets of Astrology, Queen of the Ocean, Garden of the Moon, Curious Goods) have some great songs on them. Wyvern provided a pretty good list, although he left off 'Under the Olive Tree', a personal favorite.

I for one would love to see Lana at PP, be it pre party or the main fest.

Steve in Philly

She's way too mellow for PP. I think this sort of music is more suited to a show like RoSFest.

LL and Rocket Scientists opened at a prog fest in SF many years ago, and was OK, not great. Of course, she was followed by Buckethead and Porcupine Tree, so anyone that goes on before those two bands is going to look sort of weak in comparison, but still...

dt

Entrerie said:
I think any songs she's worked on with Ayreon are golden.
There's no evidence that any such songs exist. She and Erik have erased Arjen from ThinkTank world. :lol:

She's definitely not appropriate for ProgPower. She isn't hot enough. Simone has raised the bar. :lol:

Wyvern said:
That would be awsome if she agrees, something like:

'Through The Rain'
'Through The Fire'
'Destination Roswell'
'Evolution Revolution'
Escher's Staircase
'Symphony Of Angels (arias and fables)'
'Frankenstein Unbound'
'Speed Of Sound'
'Rhapsody'
'Ghost Beside My Bed'
'Project Shangri-La'
'The Beast Within You'
'The Dream That Never Ends'
'Summon The Devil'
'Keeper Of The Flame'

and some of her covers:

'Hold Your Head up'
'Stargazer'
'California Dreaming'
'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'
That would be a perfectly awesome setlist for Lana Lane in a ProgPower setting. I'd love to see her play the festival (or pre-party). Although I doubt it will ever happen, since the majority of her material is a lot more mellow than most of the bands that play the festival. (Some fo her work could fall into the metal category, but for the most part I'd have to say she's more on the prog rock side of things.) I think she has a good selection of material to choose from though and could choose a setlist such as the one Wyvern developed and really make a good impression at ProgPower - but there's no garuntee that's what she would choose to play.