anyone like math rock?

Forgive me, I just realized I meant to be talking about Mitch Mitchell as Hendrixs drummer. Just a brain fart, Noel played bass and I knew this, dont know where my mind was.

But the people that first started using the term "math" rock are kind of moronic. They are definitely not as complex musically in any way, when comparing them to bands that have been playing odd time signatures for the last 35+ years. The people that started using the phrase "math rock" obviously don't have a wide, knowledgeable idea of prog rock, or jazz, if they think the bands that are called "math" rock are that complex to them. The people that coined the term "math" rock are musically ignorant critics for magazines such as Revolver, Metal Edge, Rolling Stone, and the like that were thinking.."whoa! they bark like hardcore bands vocally, but don't just play a few chords over, and over. This is complex, I've never heard anything like this.....these bands are the first to do something like this!":rolleyes: It's ok that they call these bands "math" rock...no skin off my back. They're not quite in league with prog, or jazz bands to be called progressive metal anyway.

But the people that first started using the term "math" rock are kind of moronic. They are definitely not as complex musically in any way, when comparing them to bands that have been playing odd time signatures for the last 35+ years. The people that started using the phrase "math rock" obviously don't have a wide, knowledgeable idea of prog rock, or jazz, if they think the bands that are called "math" rock are that complex to them. The people that coined the term "math" rock are musically ignorant critics for magazines such as Revolver, Metal Edge, Rolling Stone, and the like that were thinking.."whoa! they bark like hardcore bands vocally, but don't just play a few chords over, and over. This is complex, I've never heard anything like this.....these bands are the first to do something like this!":rolleyes: It's ok that they call these bands "math" rock...no skin off my back. They're not quite in league with prog, or jazz bands to be called progressive metal anyway.

!

Suddenly Frank Zappa poped into my mind :lol: as we sit and talk about complexity

"Math" besides being both disgusting and humorous in its use is also extremely presumptious, far beyond that which is said to be presumptious about the use of the term progressive and even the music itself.

I do understand Browns view about a method of "cataloging" but Im just one to be tired of all the new fangled genre titles and feel it is exactly as Ramses has stated, a tool of self importance and promotion. Hell, for the most part no two progressive metal or rock bands sound the same, they all cant have their own genre... or if you go back decades they were just known as the band they were, by their name.

You want serious, complex, intelligent creativity check out the many happily titled progressive and fusion bands mentioned here and many others that were not mentioned. If you like drum solos, theres plenty of them as well in all styles of music, loud non-stop cymbal crashes abound. These guys shown have talent, they just need to harness it and take it some place, which Im sure some will but hopefully it wont sound like algebra

these bands definetley build on what came before but i think you should get a few whole albums from different artists to really get the feel of the genre to make a more informed and substantial comparison to progressive rock or jazz etc. i just posted a couple of shitty samples.

as far as genres go as music progresses their are a bunch of new genres and many of them overlap and feed each other. some of them may not be neccesary but they all have their distinct sound

post rock/punk/metal,screamo,shoegaze,math...etc....maybe not all neccesary but definetly helps for classification purposes

i do feel that most math rock is complex and technical but we have mostly been arguing about its relationship to prog. but they are both great genres and one encompses the other. cant prog and math fans just get along and listin to great music without arguing over labels or which is more complex....all of it is amazing music.:headbang:

I would still like you to find some better quality examples. I'm not one to drop $15 dollars on any old band. Once bitten twice shy. In fact Im hundreds behind on stuff I know I will like and want to have.

Its highly unlikely any old progressive listeners will use the term math rock because they will recogonize what they are listening to and in many cases will quickly determine the exact sources any elements were derived from.

I almost put up a Gamalon vid to show its comparision to your first vid but I went though many and couldnt decide which one to use but anyhow Gamalon was the first thing that came to mind upon listening to the basic groove of the song.

dude just go to lastfm.com and you can listin to ANY band you can think of...they have full tracks on most artists and its just a great resource overall....

on the subject of good prog and lastfm...i recently downloaded on the virg there for free....the whole album which if you havent heard features virgil donati on drums...great instrumental prog....listin to some of those bands i mentioned at lastfm

i have really been getting into math rock latley. the music is so tech and complex and i love it. the drumming is usually especially sick. what are your favorite math rock groups? mine are:

don cabalero
tera melos
by the end of tonight
lite
sleeping people
hella
planets
toe(kind of more post rock but very math influinced-GREAT shit though)
giraffes?giraffes!

give it up for this sick genre that is underappreciated:headbang:

Colditz Glider from Melbourne, Australia are also pretty fucking cool.

this supposed "math" rock band called Dillenger Escape Plan playing, and some kiddies were talking about how complex they wereo_O. They then witnessed Dream Theater later on, and fell silent.
:lol::lol::lol:

And to the OP what hella is that shit, a drum solo while letting some guy play the guitar in the background cause he felt bad for him?

Not trying to be a dick but just asking cause I am confused as to what is going on, It does seem like "math" rock initially as there is no emotion in the clips just organized chaos of instrumentation, the key is to put a bit of melody and meaning in their somewhere and well then I guess it would be progressive so.......ahh nevermind.