Anyone using a camera in their drum room? (instead of a window)

Jan 10, 2005
I am looking to see what you guys may be using to do this with. Did some shopping around but some of these cameras only do 10FPS, which is really slow.

I want to be able to have a wireless camera that goes to a receiver and then from the receiver to a TV. Any suggestions?

i've been thinking about this method for when i find a place to record that isnt permanent.

i know zeuss does it, i think chango does, im pretty sure ryan harvey does.

im interested on some answers too!

The studio I go to record drums at does this and I think I'd do it if I had a permanent place as well.

I think they could use a better monitoring screen at the place I go but it gets the job done. I don't have to view the drummer much and I don't mind walking next door to check things out anyway.

I've done it as well.
It feels weird - but it's actually a great idea if you're building a studio. Means that you don't have to worry about leakage through windows and emphasizing modes by not having slanted windows.

Most likely the route I'll go when I eventually get my own place. Also allows you to have a room/hall between live and control rooms so overall layout of a building isn't as big of a problem.

I'm using a camera (fish-eye lens) to monitor the whole recording room, as you can see here:
316538_222920817770353_221200111275757_626147_917743101_n.jpg

(left monitor)

@YoRich: that's perfect! Only I want a wireless setup, fuck wires.

@Proggm: What kind of camera though?

Anybody know a good place to shop online for what I am talking about (US)?

I've though about this before but wouldn't latency be a problem unless you're using a CCTV?

I've though about this before but wouldn't latency be a problem unless you're using a CCTV?

Sort of. The research I have done so far seems to show that the wireless network (IP) cameras have a pretty bad latency. Stuff like from Logitech, DLink et al that just work over your wireless network. They would be the most ideal if it weren't for the retarded delay they have, I'm talking 2 seconds or more in some cases.

The next best is the wireless cameras that go to a receiver and hook up to a TV/monitor. Those seem to have a much shorter delay. There is one I found, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-LW2110-Wireless-Digital-Security/dp/B004T9Y0MW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I367FKXTBYO8L2&colid=QI5MGEM8ZANS"]here[/ame], seems fairly solid. I couldn't say what the exact amount of delay is, but I found a video on YouTube where a guy hooked it up and you could hear/see the audio/video delay, it wasn't too bad, maybe half a second. That particular one might be what I get since the receiver is very small and attached directly to the back of the TV. I think I could deal with ~.5 second delay, but I wouldn't hesitate to return it quickly haha.

And, finally, the one with virtually no delay would be a totally wired setup. But I am really not wanting a bunch of wires to deal with. Either camera I get, there is a power wire to deal with as it is. That's tolerable, but I just don't want to run a video cable from one room to another. So, it's either wires or ~.5 second delay, for me to choose from....

What about just buying a "normal" camera. It may cost a bit, but building a real studio window with slanted glass etc costs allot. And use wires man, jsut put it via the floor or where the multicable goes?

I use a "normal" video camery with a cable. I just use a channel of one of my audio multicores. Works great!
I used to have a cheap wireless setup years ago but got rid of it after too much trouble. The video quality was changing from ok to terribly bad all the time.
Just buy an old video camera, hook it up and there you go. No delay and no noticable signal loss.