Building studio window?!

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
I am building a whole new studio because i recently just moved. I have been looking all over on some information to build a window separating the control room from the live area. I know you can buy some windows already made for the purpose i am looking for but i am not trying to spend 3k on a window at this time.
If any one could recommend a way to make a window that is not to expensive. I read in the a thread by a guy on this forum Brian Hood when he was talking about windows and he was talking about having two windows angled a certain way. I am not looking for the most acoustically treated window just something that looks decent and is isolated enough to cancel out as much noise of the stuff being tracked in the live area and not the most expensive. I want to be able to record drums and monitor through my speakers.

Here's a quick image I made of what i plan on doing

euokz4.jpg

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

just have a glass company make a piece of thick plexiglass for whatever open you want make it sliding ..or not they can do a single pane cheap. Have them install the stops and everything. trust me easier and cheaper in the end.

The angled glass is one part of two, you have two pieces of glass, single-pane, and they will be in the wall like this |\ But you need to do research on the John Sayers forum to learn about the right angle to use for your angled piece.

edit: Egan posted the link to Sayers' forum ^^

just have a glass company make a piece of thick plexiglass for whatever open you want make it sliding ..or not they can do a single pane cheap. Have them install the stops and everything. trust me easier and cheaper in the end.

How thick and what do you think i will be looking as far as price?

10mm and 20mm thick, with air gap in between. Price depends on size:) Seen some pretty cheap places on ebay when I was looking for mine. Heaps of stuff on the net, even youtube videos.......

Just a practical point... I'd either move the door to the studio to the right, or the control room to the left. That way people can't waltz into the live room mid take with out going past you; AND it's an additional layer of insulation (the damn control room!) In front of the door, which is possibly one of the worst areas for sound to escape to the outside world.
and people won't have to go into the live room to get to the control room.

Just a practical point... I'd either move the door to the studio to the right, or the control room to the left. That way people can't waltz into the live room mid take with out going past you; AND it's an additional layer of insulation (the damn control room!) In front of the door, which is possibly one of the worst areas for sound to escape to the outside world.
and people won't have to go into the live room to get to the control room.

Good Idea. I might put a wall up to isolate the live area, I may or may not.
It really depends

And could anyone tell me what kind of window i Should be looking for, as far as materials are concerned. I appreciate the input.

Greyskull makes a good point.
With studio windows its a bit of a compromise. You want 2 panes.
If they're parallel then you get better isolation but more glare and of course reflected sound right back instead of downward. Usually there will be 1 pane of glass angled downward (like |/ )on the live room side, I think 15% is recommended.

Check out this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...lmZTYtYmFhMjkyYWY4YWUx&hl=en&authkey=CIio8uAO

Greyskull makes a good point.
With studio windows its a bit of a compromise. You want 2 panes.
If they're parallel then you get better isolation but more glare and of course reflected sound right back instead of downward. Usually there will be 1 pane of glass angled downward (like |/ )on the live room side, I think 15% is recommended.

Check out this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...lmZTYtYmFhMjkyYWY4YWUx&hl=en&authkey=CIio8uAO

Yeah i wish i could do two panes, but that's going to cost a lot more money. But i will look into my budget and try to way my options ;]
But i do appreciate the input really.
I mean back in the day sturgis had a window with just one pane. I believe and it seemed to work for the purpose I am looking for two.

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to make the walls, I thinking 2x4"s as a standard choice. but i want it to be quiet enough like mentioned. Should I isolate the control room walls and use think as dry wall? Any inpu
t will be taking into consideration. Again thanks guys :D