Anyone using Mogami 2524 cable? Bit of a problem...

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I bought a length of Mogami 2524 to make some guitar cables with, coupled with some Neutrik connectors.

Now, I soldered everything into place, the center wire to the lug (duh) and the braided shield got twisted and soldering to the surrounding part. This is how the Neutrik diagram states to do so.

When I plug in, it sounds ok at best, but it lacked balls. I plugged my Lava cable in and it was all fine and dandy with plenty of balls. The strange thing is, the custom cable doesn't have any noise and is quite "silent."

What could it be? My solder connections seem to be pretty good. Is it possible that the wire isn't soldered deep enough into the "cup" of the connector? I thought any kind of solid connection between the "cup" and wire would do...

-Joe

I believe they are both around 20-25 feet. But, they are both quality cables, so there shouldn't be THAT kind of a difference in signal output. I think it might be a short in the wire braid; I'm going to check it out tonight.

-Joe

The only thing that I can think may be the culprit is a small strand in the soldered connection touching or arcing to the other. Get a magnifying glass and take a look...unless you're young and don't need a magnifying glass :)

The only thing that I can think may be the culprit is a small strand in the soldered connection touching or arcing to the other. Get a magnifying glass and take a look...unless you're young and don't need a magnifying glass :)

Heh, you are most likely right. My wire stripper isn't the greatest, it's possible. I need a good one. Thanks man,

-Joe