Anyone using Presonus Studio One?

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
I'm currently working through the Groove3 tutorials and it seems like a fantastic DAW.
Yes, it's still young and it doesn't have all of the features that everyone expects, but that's partly why I like it, especially when compared to something like Reaper which does have a lot of the requested features, but always somehow feels like the Linux of the DAW market.
At the moment, for me at least, I don't make enough money doing music to warrent purchasing something like Pro-Tools, which does have a lot of the features I like (once you purchase CPTK2) and the problems people are having with Cubase 6 here is putting me off purchasing that too.
Studio One seems like a nice alternative.

Here's some things I like off the bat:
1. Resource friendly. It's not a big install either. It's not as lean as Reaper, but defo better than my 7.x copy of Pro-Tools.
2. I like the interface. Yes, you can customise Reaper etc. but personally I wish the devs spent more time working on things we absolutely need and not just eye candy. Studio One has a nice browser, easy to use editor and they all seem to work very well together. You can tell effort was put in to the design and integration of such features.
2. It has slip editing (Reaper-style, not PT-style).
3. Integrated mastering solution. While I've yet to try this out, it seems awesome that when mastering and you notice something that needs to be fixed in a song, it can be easily fixed and your mastering project is automatically updated. Nice.
4. Alternative and custom keymaps. Studio One has keymaps for PT, Cubase and Sonar users etc. One of my biggest problems with Reaper, other than the constant menu traversal is its default keymap. You end up having to customise everything anyways and it's bloody annoying. I like a unified system, kinda like how a PT engineer can go to another studio and not have to worry about how the DAW is setup once they have the same DAW.
5. Controller integration. They seem to have a nice system for getting your controllers to easily work with the DAW, seems a bit like how it's done in Ableton Live. Reaper fails big time in this department. Yes, you can get shit working but coming back to my Linux comparison, it's like compiling an application from source code. Ugh!
6. Developers active with the community. Reaper wins in this regard, easily - but the developers seem more active and friendly especially when compared to the horror stories from the PT and Cubase camps.

So yeah, that's my take on it so far. I'm still only learning it, but am really enjoying it so far. Yes, we all know that PT has it's feet firmly placed within the pro studio market, but I don't entirely see Presonus aiming for that market...maybe more toward the Cubase and Sonar users.
Does anyone here use it full-time? I know I saw drew_drummer mention it a few times and saw it being used when tracking drums on a video he posted recently, but I could swear he's gone to PT now.
Anyways, try it out - you might like it!

Niall.

A friend of mine got a copy given ( a genuine copy ) and he loves it. He didn't get on with reaper, and couldn't afford to upgrade his version of Cubase.

Like I said, he's real impressed.

I tried the demo and really like the workflow.. it could be a great daw once it matures... you still can't freeze tracks.. (as of v1.6)

Hey DD: I've been in this boat for some time now. Was originally a Reaper dude... got sick of all the customization I was having to do.... just want to record damnit! Wanted to move to Cubase, but couldn't afford it. Had access to Studio One through work, so decided to check it out.

Rest was history. The thing is awesome.

Studio One is definitely cool. Some deal breaker stuff unfortunately from the editing side but otherwise it is pretty crazy how intuitive it is!

Actually curious what the deal breaker stuff is for you, Adam?

For me there is definitely an annoyance in the fact that I cannot folder tracks or hide them in the arranger - stuff can get cluttered with bigger projects. But this isn't really a deal breaker for me, I'll just live with it.

Hopefully Studio 'Two' (nothing announced yet, I'm just fantasizing) will fix that.

I tried the demo and really like the workflow.. it could be a great daw once it matures... you still can't freeze tracks.. (as of v1.6)

You can't in freeze track in Reaper either (out of the box) without creating macros etc. PITA.
Actually, come to think of it - you can't in Pro-Tools either, correct me if I'm wrong? Been a while since I used PT but I always bounced in realtime...
It doesn't take long to bounce a track in Studio One (non-realtime) anyways, so I don't see it as a deal-breaker.

I do miss "tab to transient" and at the moment, when you place one event (item/region) over another, it doesn't remove the overlap, just places one on top of the other, however you can select an event and send it to the front or back. See my post on the Presonus forums for more info: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/8576.page#56117

I agree with Drew, but as far as I know, they're working on folder tracks and I expect to see it in v2.

There's no autocrossfading either, but you can just select the events, hit X and it'll crossfade the selected events, not the end of the world.

I do miss ripple editing, comes in handy when you've recorded a song perfectly to the grid and want to re-arrange quickly (eg. throw another verse or something into place and have everything else push forward).

I'd also like to know Adam's opinions on its editing, as Adam really does know quite a few DAWs inside-out!

But to be honest, it's still very young (relatively speaking), isn't as cluttered as something like Reaper and has great usability with a matching UI. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Studio One.

tried presonus studio artist that i got with my firestudio and its nice but no thrid party vst's? if it had that option i would be using it right now.

oh.. i ddnt knw PT also didn't have a freeze.. yeah, its not a big deal, just a smoother workflow with that button imo.
but i definitely agree, this DAW has huge potential..

@fizzin: 200 for a nearly fully featured daw.. a steal!

Then why don't you upgrade?!

I want to but definetly not this month (over spent) I just thought the artist version is too limiting considering alot of people use third party plugs. Other than that i thought it was very easy to use just like reaper.

I tried it way back when it was released.

Seemed really promising, but at the time lacking in too many features I needed (mostly editing/workflow related). They're slowly catching up to the other DAWs, but it's a little late for me. I'm just too reliant on my PT/Cubase combo, and become stuck in my ways, old-man style.

Like Reaper?! Are you kidding?! Reaper's far from easy to use in my opinion...

I really think that depends on the individual and what they are looking for from the software and workflow. I personally find Reaper and Pro Tools much easier than all the others. But I really think the difference is the same as the fact that I prefer Gibson and Schecter, where other guys prefer Jackson or Ibanez. It's not a question of quality or ease of use, so much as it's a question of what "feels right" to you as an individual.

I've not really found S1 lacking in the editing department. It's very straight forward stuff... there isn't a whole lot of cleverness to the way editing works... and I kinda like it that way.

I really hate Reaper for editing... as I recently re-discovered. It's good for mixing, but editing is just a fucking ballache.

I've not really found S1 lacking in the editing department. It's very straight forward stuff... there isn't a whole lot of cleverness to the way editing works... and I kinda like it that way.

I really hate Reaper for editing... as I recently re-discovered. It's good for mixing, but editing is just a fucking ballache.

+1.
I like the simplicity of Studio One.

I just dont like the way it handles overlapping events (prefer things to trim when I overlap them, I don't like dealing with "send to front" and stuff, I like the Pro Tools way) and the way the modifiers are set up is clumsy (try slip editing a drum track, you will develop arthritis within a verse or two). Beyond that it really is dead simple and easy to use which I like.

I am an editing wizard in Reaper though, I don't think there is anything out there that let's you edit as fast as Reaper once you get it under your fingers. It's just useless out of the box unfortunately because of the shitty keymap and terrible default preferences and options.

Interesting. I find slip editing much faster in Studio One than in Reaper.. and I tried all your customizations for Reaper as well as tried to create a bunch of my own. I'd say it's about 65% of the way there for me.

As you'll remember my thread on the pre-release forum about overlapping events, I really dislike Reaper's method.

But yeah... I always feel frustrated with Reaper. Like I see the potential, but I always come away stressed out! :lol:

This isn't with out-of-the-box settings either. This is using a bunch of customizations that I made and others from the likes of SWS, yourself, and other people in the Reaper community.

I also hate 99.9% of the themes out there for it. This move towards a pan knob as opposed to a fader is very uncool too.

To slip edit in Studio One you have to have your index finger hovering over 3, middle finger hovering over 1 and thumb positioned sideways to press command and option at the same time. It hurts to even look at let alone do. In Reaper I just click a toolbar button for "drum edit mode" and I don't even have to use my left hand at all. Click splits and drag slips with no modifiers needed.

No you don't dude. You just select the scissors tool. Turn snap off... click where you wish to cut the clip. Then hold ALT+drag on the waveform to slip. ALT+mousewheel to scroll horizontally.

So you only need you first finger on the ALT key, and your 2nd finger or middle finger on the CTRL key.