Anyone using Ableton as their main DAW?

Dnlrvltn

New Metal Member
Apr 23, 2010
Hey there, i've been using it for a while, and whilst i like it a lot, i know it's directed more towards DJs and stuff so i was wondering if there is any disventages on using it, as compared to say PT or Cubase or something else? I mean, they advertise it as a DAW too, but you know, they are trying to sell it so... Also i have a M-Audio interface so i could run PT.

Also, if you use it, any tips on it?

I'm guessing that was what was included with the m audio? I just purchased a profire so I saw they are bundling that with them. Honestly, my limited experience with it has led me to conclude that it's not as user friendly as the traditional looking DAW layout. Reaper, logic, cubase, sonar, record and pro tools all have similar layouts. Live's workflow just felt weird to me.

Honestly though dude, the only differences in DAWs are features. No DAW sounds better than another (that I have heard), it depends entirely on the user and his ability to use the tools he has.

I will say that since live can be rewired, it wouldn't be difficult to incorporate it into another DAW if you get used to it.

Editing in PT is also way more feature rich. Slip editing, tab to transients, audio clip quantize etc. aren't available in Live.

Hey thanks, anyone else's using it? i was just told it didn't sound as good. since i'm pretty used to the workflow and the graphic interface i guess i could use it rewiring it and then doing the major editing part on PT or something.

It sound as good as your interface, instruments and skills. The problem is that it is a bitch to work on. Right click on a media item on Live and see how many options the menu gives you. Now do the same on a DAW like Reaper or Cubase. The transport workflow of Live also is beyond crap IMO.

simple work flow, great plugs and easy to understand features ( after going through there tutorials)..

for doing full "one man band" tracks its awesome for me..

the main thing missing for me is a nice multi-take system..other than that I could use it for almost everything..

if your the type of person that likes to "jam" with a couple of riffs to get a song going...it's the slickest interface going!

My main Daw ( but I don't track full bands)

I just got my Fast Track Pro so im using Ableton, the other software bundled with it, pro tools, dosnt work.

LIVE Is more for hiphop or electronica I think, because it was designed for working with LOOPS primarily. The transport is not anywhere close to logic or Pro Tools. I don't know anybody tracking bands on LIVE< but if its just you by yourself, and you got it for free, whatever, its fun. The sound has very little to do with the DAW and everything to do with your soundcard. If you got it for free and you're having fun, don't worry about it. Enjoy the software. LIVE does stuff we only DREAMED Of doing in the 80's and 90's, so its pretty dope, but again if you want to track live bands, I don't know anyone using it for that, Logic and Pro Tools are more suited for tracking bands.

I use it for rock projects. It's a great scratchpad, very easy to get things laid down and I looooove the Warp markers for cleaning up my sloppy playing :) But if I was in a studio / engineering situation I'd probably go for Cubase. There's a certain "finesse" that Live is lacking when it comes to handling multiple takes, subtracks and stuff like that. I really wish they'd add a feature like in Cubase where you can actually have more than one audio clip playing simultaneously on the same track (you have to create a new track for each clip and then route the audio from all of them to a "group" track and do your processing there. The end result is the same but it requires a lot of tracks that take up valuable space on screen).