Pro Tools Playlists, what are you using them for?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Playlists are not something I'm used to using in any other DAW so I haven't really touched them in PT. Just curious about what part they play in the workflows of the other PT guys here? So far I know they are used for take comping and that people also use them to keep a backup of the original drum part while editing. Any other clever uses for them to improve workflow efficiency?

Speaking of comping vocals using playlists, what's your method for tracking vocals when you intend to comp this way? In my experience, creating a new playlist every time you record and then going to playlists view and shuffling things around just feels really slow, at least compared to quickswipe in Logic or even the Reaper take system.

Different takes when tracking are the natural use.

I also use them for having an aligned backup of the original drum track when editing. So if I mess something up I can revert back to the original in seconds.

That's it really - I don't think I've ever used them for anything else. Just comping and backups.

I comp in the studio, with the vocalist there, on the fly, as he or she is taking his or her break. We identify the take that is the strongest the whole way through, and then we copy onto it from the others parts that we feel are stronger. Bingo for drums. Though there are usually fills or sections that require an additional specific punch-in. Usually the less punch-ins on drums for me, the better. I like whole takes, and keeping that cohesion and vibe going.

Different takes when tracking are the natural use.

I also use them for having an aligned backup of the original drum track when editing. So if I mess something up I can revert back to the original in seconds.

That's it really - I don't think I've ever used them for anything else. Just comping and backups.

I comp in the studio, with the vocalist there, on the fly, as he or she is taking his or her break. We identify the take that is the strongest the whole way through, and then we copy onto it from the others parts that we feel are stronger. Bingo for drums. Though there are usually fills or sections that require an additional specific punch-in. Usually the less punch-ins on drums for me, the better. I like whole takes, and keeping that cohesion and vibe going.

Yep.