Can Logic / Pro Tools users help out a confused soul?

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of a new computer and I'm thinking of going from Logic 9 on an Imac to a p.c running Pro Tools 10 on windows 7. The only problem is that Logic's track folders and multi swipe comping feature has become a crucial part of my workflow.

I know that the playlist feature in Pro Tools is similar to track folders/multi swipe comping in Logic, but from what I have seen from videos on youtube, editing playlists looks like it is a bit of a pain in the ass compared to take folders and multi swipe comping in logic.

Am I just making a big deal out of nothing? :lol: I would really prefer to move over to Pro Tools and build a gnarly machine to my exact specifications, rather than buying another Imac and limiting myself specification wise, but if comping takes on the fly during tracking sessions is gonna take too much fuckery then it could be a deciding factor.

Thanks in advance :headbang:

if in the beginning it looks like completely different, it's actually equally effective.

i like playlists better for drums track and comping. and maybe the swipe thing is nicer for vocals and guitar.
but that should not turn you off Pro Tools. 10 is great.

I've used both. I actually MUCH prefer Pro Tools way of working. I just go into playlist view (where it drops all the takes below the main one) and use shortcuts to solo and copy what I want up to the main playlist. Add a quick batch fade. It's SUPER quick and pretty slick once you get the hang of it. And the playlist are easier to manage than logics folders. For me at least.