API 312 or Black Lion Audio B12a??

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
So I'm going to buy a few pres, but I'm it the I'm not sure what to buy zone. I own two B12a and love them, but I'm wondering if I'm really missing out on the real thing with API 312. I can buy 6 B12a for 1.8k or buy the API 312 four channel Pre for about 2.5k. Just like to see what others take is on this.

You are probably not missing out buying the cheaper pres. For the ease of mind go for the API's then you know you have quality pre's for life and don't have to think of pres ever again haha. That was kind of my mindset when i bought my Crane song spider.

Hell Paso?? cool man...im like 20 miles east of el paso...anywho...

i agree with crillemannen....but...

...i work at a studio and we have a lot...a LOT of pres...i know them all by now and to be honest...you'll pay a lot for just three letters. The BLA's sound just as good, and not very many people can tell the difference. Even if you can, it's not something that matters a lot. The BLA's have a little more low end then the real api's so...that's a good thing.

Yeah how is the Crain spider???

The Spider is truly awesome. You get Ad with the box too, so that was another feature that made me pull the trigger.

But as Pipagua.. said, there is probably no difference between those 2 preamps, a little bit different perhaps but not better. But API is a well known brand and will give your studio some seriousness mojo to you studio, if that matter to you.

You'll probably also hold better resale value on the real deal if you ever give up/want a different flavor/fall on hard times.

Hell Paso?? cool man...im like 20 miles east of el paso...anywho...

i agree with crillemannen....but...

...i work at a studio and we have a lot...a LOT of pres...i know them all by now and to be honest...you'll pay a lot for just three letters. The BLA's sound just as good, and not very many people can tell the difference. Even if you can, it's not something that matters a lot. The BLA's have a little more low end then the real api's so...that's a good thing.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm guessing you might have some experience with the GAP 73? Looking at either that or the BLA for a character pre to give me something different to my A&H pre's (very clean)
If you've used both have you got a significant preference for one over the other?

I'd keep my eyes out for a used 3124 and keep the bla's you have. The 3124's hold their value so if you buy used you almost can't lose money on the deal. Alternatively, used A2D's sometimes go pretty cheap as well which could mean 2 API channels and 2 more BLA's for under $2k.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm guessing you might have some experience with the GAP 73? Looking at either that or the BLA for a character pre to give me something different to my A&H pre's (very clean)
If you've used both have you got a significant preference for one over the other?
I exaggerated a little bit when i said "all of them" :lol: but i meant most of them
I haven't use a Golden Age before, but i have heard great things about them. But i would rather go for a 1073 "color" than an API color. why? easy. the color goes well with most of the sources than the api. like vocals, guitars, acoustics, fat bass, fat synts, fat drums, and fat girls.

Having the three letters though, as some of the guys say does give your studio more "category" per say.

Well BLA has been used on some respectable albums. Im getting some back pay with work so Ill buy a few of these and make a very nice vocal strip.

I had no idea those BLA preamps were so cheap. If they're that close to the API... I'm gonna buy a crap ton of them when I move into my new space.

I had no idea those BLA preamps were so cheap. If they're that close to the API... I'm gonna buy a crap ton of them when I move into my new space.

I spoke with one of those sale guys at Alto music and they will drop the price for a large buy. 6 b12a for 1800 works for me.