API 512c pre v/s RME FF800 pre comparison. Clips inside.

chaosmonger

Sep 16, 2006
Santiago, Chile
www.poemaarcanus.cl
For what it's worth ... I just purchased a Lunchbox with an API 512c module :Smokin:, so, quickly I did a couple comparison clips between it and one of the mic pres of my RME Fireface 800.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1333856/api%20vs%20rme.rar

The source:
a DI reamped through my ENGL e530 using the built in mini power amp into a crappy 8" speaker cab I had lying around here at home. (no big amps here in my apartment).

Settings: whatever... I just made sure that they weren't changed at all ... the tone and playing sucks, but that's not the point of this thread ... the idea is to show the differences between the mic preamps, regardless of the source (as long as it is consistent).

So, one SM57 (dustcap meets cone), stuck to the grill. The mic wasn't moved at all, I just swapped the mic pre.

There are 2 pairs of clips ... one with a high gain setting on the ENGL and the other with a lo-gain crunch setting. You don't have to guess which is which because I already named the files under the according preamp ... so, no big mistery this time guys. (sorry to spoil the fun :D). I'll try to make some better clips soon ... this was made on a rush!!!

I Hope it helps!

CHEERS!!

RME's sound a little dark and muffled to me... the API's apear to have more high end and sound a little "Crispyer".