Upgradeing mic pre advice???

JCRG

New Metal Member
Aug 12, 2006
Hey,

So I have had a presonus firebox for a couple of months which i am using to record guitars and i think it is time for an upgrade.
I was thinking along the lines of getting an RME fireface 400 plus adding something like a tla 5052 or 5051 mic pre also.
Just wondering what other options are available???
Also if i stick with the 400 plus tla option i have the cash to get one now and then the other down the line. Which would get the better results, using the firebox as the A/D converter with the tla mic pre and getting the fireface later. Or vise versa and going straight to the RME fireface and using the pre's on that?

I think that the pre's on the Fireface are a little bit better but the conversion is WAY better than Presonus stuff. If you got the Fireface I think you could get some pretty sick stuff with just their pre's and then later on you could add on too.

Hmm...honestly after owning an 828mkII I wouldn't say the MOTU is much of a competitor. RME is well known for it's converters being rediculously good for the money. Their pres aren't bad at all either, quite a few steps above the PreSonus stuff. The Octane is good for the money (for RootBoundApollo), being an 8 channel pre with ADAT output for $600, quite a deal. MKS has one or two of them and he gets some great results.

~e.a

I picked up a Motu ultralite a while ago Im kinda wishing Id held on for the 8pre but it works well Im pretty happy with the results Im getting with it for a portable system.

RootBoundApollo said:
I've been thinking of adding an M-Audio Octane onto my Digi 002. It's supposed to be nearly transparent, which is rare for m-audio gear

Octane is solid for what it is. My only knock on it is that it is fairly quiet.

Cheers for the replys guys,
I looked at the octane but really I dont need that many pre's.
I think I will just get the fireface and add another tube mic pre to it later.

cheers:kickass:

JCRG said:
tube mic pre
cheers:kickass:
Please don't say that without backing it up. Not saying this is you but a lot of "newbs" think the word tube is the end all be all.