best mic pre for electric guitars and vocals, sub 1k

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
sorry if the topic was already discussed, but i didn't find what i was looking for using the search function.

basically, i want to get a one or two channel mic preamp that rocks on electric guitars, vocals would be a nice plus.
i'm looking at the sub 1k range.....api 512c and lunchbox would probably be my best bet i guess, but that's around 1,3k IIRC. i just wonder if there's a mid-end gem out there that really rocks on distorted guitars and vocals.

the fmr rnp is probably a good choice (i liked it more than the rme fireface pres in the shootout someone posted here, btw i'm also running a fireface) but while sounding nice it doesn't quite seem to have that mojo, and i wonder if there's a better solution in the pricerange.

the fireface pre's are fine and whatnot, but the sound is just so uncolored and almost sterile, it just doesn't have enough color to give guitar tracks that little extra.

any recommendations?

thanks for the recommendation. spdif would actually be fucking cool, as it wouldn't use up and line or adat ins on the fireface.

I'd go with a Brent Averill (BAE) 312A or DMP.

The 312A is very much like an API 312/512 - BAE 312A

The DMP is essentially a Neve 1073 pre/DI - BAE DMP

Both of these pres are under $1000/channel and are top-of-the-line, professional-level units that will hold their value and that you would not eventually outgrow.

If you need two channels, I'd recommend hunting down a Vintech Dual 72 - I got mine used for $900 and I use it all the time for vocals and guitars, it's excellent.