BEST PRE FOR GUITARS AND VOCALS

Chandler, Vintech & Api seem to get a regular mention so id check those brands out.

Going slightly OT how much of a step up would say an api 3124 be in comparison to the pre-amps in my dimax lt and saffire pro i know its not going to be night and day but is it even noticable to the average person??

Focusrite, Avalon $2000 or more, I heard samples of a Trident before, they sounded pretty good for $999. What recording setup do you have...? I mic up with just the Mbox2 Pro, its a good setup to record guitars and vocals....and its has two channels.

I'm really not sure about Vintech, from the clips I've heard (of the 1272, anyway) it really seems to be sort of the blunt sledgehammer-style coloration that might seem good at first, but you're stuck with it regardless. I definitely think the modular 500-series stuff is the best bet; you can get an Avedis 2-slot chassis for like $450 (or an A-designs for $300, dunno what the quality difference is), and then modules from API, Chandler, Great River, Purple Audio, Shadow Hills - really, all the big name desirables! And you can get a bunch of different ones without having to pay for a new power supply each time!

Yeah, I personally can't wait to get my dream front-end of nothing but 512c's. Can't go wrong with a 3124 though...API is expensive, yes, but it's worth every penny. If you have ever worked with any of their units you would be addicted just like Lasse and myself are haha.

Also, Radial unveiled some lunchbox modules of their own, a DI and something else if I remember correctly at the recent NAMM show. Not of any interest to me but it goes to show that people are still making things for the lunchbox.

~006

I'm really not sure about Vintech, from the clips I've heard (of the 1272, anyway) it really seems to be sort of the blunt sledgehammer-style coloration that might seem good at first, but you're stuck with it regardless. I definitely think the modular 500-series stuff is the best bet; you can get an Avedis 2-slot chassis for like $450 (or an A-designs for $300, dunno what the quality difference is), and then modules from API, Chandler, Great River, Purple Audio, Shadow Hills - really, all the big name desirables! And you can get a bunch of different ones without having to pay for a new power supply each time!

Did you notice this Marcus? :loco:

http://vintageking.com/Shop-New-Categories/500-Series-Racks/Tree-Audio-500-by-Inward-Connections

Haha, yeah, definitely WAY the hell over anything I could hope to afford, and it honestly doesn't make much sense to me - by the time you bought enough modules to fill it up, I'd think you'd be at a substantially higher price point than a good console by one manufacturer (I won't pretend to know which manufacturer to recommend, cuz I know dick about consoles, but $39k for a chassis is pretty ludicrous)

I'm in the middle of putting together my own pre from http://www.eisenaudio.com/.
Its good for customizing what components you want to use. Op amps, input/output transformers.
You still need the power supply though (lunch box, etc)...
I don't recommend this if you no nothing about circuit building.

The Vintech X73 is a great choice if you only need one channel of high-end preamplification and EQ. I like the Chandler Germanium on guitars and the A Designs Pacifica is pretty rad on vocals (and a lot of stuff for that matter).