BEST PRE FOR GUITARS AND VOCALS

coldthrn: how much would a DIY 512c cost to build myself?

~006

With the Eisen stuff you don't have to buy "their" power supply like seventh circle, just use the lunchbox or any 500 series case. Dont get me wrong Seventh Circle stuff is good but is really involved especially when you start building the J99 or N72, you have to bias it.... However Seventh Circle instructions on how to do this.

The API 2520 Op-amp runs around $100 or so I'm not sure on the cost of the input/output trans. I would budget another $75 plus the kit $207 and $20 for resistors, diodes, capacitors, etc... So about $400 for one DYI API"ish" 512c

Im building two that I want to get close to the Jensen Twin Servo 990.
We will see how it goes.

Here are the components for a 512
http://www.eisenaudio.com/diy500/tables/examplecircuits/512.html

Also, Radial unveiled some lunchbox modules of their own, a DI and something else if I remember correctly at the recent NAMM show. Not of any interest to me but it goes to show that people are still making things for the lunchbox.

~006

I talked to the Radial guy for a bit and looked at their lunchbox... The other thing I can remember from it is a phaser. It seems like there might have actually been three things in the box, but if there was, I can't remember it. Anyway, the guy said that those are all they're starting with, but they plan to keep expanding on a regular basis.

Haha, was only a matter of time...

BTW Lasse, they are discussing the layout of that album and it will be released in a month or two so I'll need an addy to send you a copy!

~006

There is any launch box for two API 512 C? In the API web the launch box is for 6 slots... too much for me!

Avedis seems to have a 2-slot 19" rack version (Avedis R52) for them:

AVEDIS-R52-mid.jpg

http://www.avedisaudio.com/R52.html

But the problem is twofold:

1) Very few stores have it
2) It costs the same as the API 6-way lunchbox

So personally I would just get the 6-way lunchbox and leave the other slots be.

Edit:
Looks like A Designs has one too (500HR), for a bit cheaper (330 euros, probably under 300 USD across the pond):
a500hr.jpg

Avedis seems to have a 2-slot 19" rack version (Avedis R52) for them:

AVEDIS-R52-mid.jpg

http://www.avedisaudio.com/R52.html

But the problem is twofold:

1) Very few stores have it
2) It costs the same as the API 6-way lunchbox

So personally I would just get the 6-way lunchbox and leave the other slots be.

Edit:
Looks like A Designs has one too (500HR), for a bit cheaper (330 euros, probably under 300 USD across the pond):
a500hr.jpg

I guess you guys didn't see post 10 in this same thread ;)

I definitely think the modular 500-series stuff is the best bet; you can get an Avedis 2-slot chassis for like $450 (or an A-designs for $300, dunno what the quality difference is), and then modules from API, Chandler, Great River, Purple Audio, Shadow Hills - really, all the big name desirables! And you can get a bunch of different ones without having to pay for a new power supply each time!