Condenser mic for vocals and guitars: which polar pattern?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I've just bought a Superlux cmh8g...tube condenser mic.
It has an external power supply with 9 polar patterns switch, from Omni to Cardioid 8.
My question is: with vocals wich pattern do you usually use? A simple cardioid like the sm57 one? Or if you can, you try different polarn patterns?
And for guitars? For example, if you use a 414...it's switched to cardioid pattern?
Last question: Where can I use the cardioid 8 pattern(the polar pattern has the form of an 8) ?

Thank you

The omni pattern will get you more room sound, and apparently doesn't have any proximity effect. I often use it for vocal or acoustic instrument overdubs, but it's not a great idea if you're recording multiple instruments at once (unless you want a really live-sounding recording or are using some weird stereo micing setup whose name I forget).

Figure 8 is pretty much the same, except you have more control and there is a proximity effect (just like with a cardioid pattern mic). I've never used this pattern except for when I was just goofing around, but I've heard of people putting one between an amp and a wall to catch the reflected sound. Not sure I'd do this for metal though.

Personally, unless you are going for a specific type of sound or Blumlein, M/S recording just stick with Cardoid. Less undesirable room reflections and off-axis colouration.