API 560 For Metal ???

Seth Pack

Sep 10, 2013
Hey Guys Long time Lurker here :worship:

Recently I got a good deal on a hardware API 560 with an API lunchbox. As much as the chassis alone is probably worth the deal I haven't really found a need for a 560. I have Waves 550 and I LOVE the way it sounds. I hear a lot of people on Gearslutz talk about the 560 for Kick, Snare, and vocals I'm just not so sure about Metal music.

Is it worth it? Though fixed, are the bands something you use for mixing?

I ask cause to me its obviously :If I ever find a need to boost or cut those bands I'll throw it on cause I love the sound of an API. I just don't want to spend the money if I'm not going to use it much cause those bands aren't used too often in Mixing metal.

Sorry for the noobish Question

There's no reason it wouldn't be suitable for a particular genre.

I got to play with one once and it was really cool for doing subtle boosts on guitars, but didn't get a chance to compare it to the plug-in version in any fair way.

I know I can use it on anything I mean, Are those bands common bands to give a snare a nice boost or to cut from a kick. (within the realm of metal) I ask cause I mainly use Waves Renascence for everything. I hear for bad frequency's or boost where its sweet so to me fixed bands seems.. I don't know not logical?

I don't want to spend money on something i'm Kind of gonna use.

That's why Is it good for metal as in is it something people here use a bit or would use a bit if they had one (or the plugin)

The 560 is awesome but if you don't have anything else in your rack I'd trade it for a preamp. I just think it's a pretty specific piece and you'd be better served with something else.

you know what I just realized. Most of the fixed bands are what the 550 doesn't have, and I love the 550 (and it's color) so I guess it's just good to cover the whole spectrum.

Mikaël-ange;10701982 said:
560 use? Kick mult for low end and lead vox air.

Is "mult" short for "multiplied" or duplicated kick track? If so, why do you duplicate the kick to add low end with EQ, instead of just adding low end on the original?

Is "mult" short for "multiplied" or duplicated kick track? If so, why do you duplicate the kick to add low end with EQ, instead of just adding low end on the original?

Pretty sure this is just like duplicating a bass guitar track and filtering them each differently. On kick, maybe sub low, low, and high mults?

I've never done it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a more common practice.

He's just talking about parallel processing. He likes to say mult because he works on a console and they have patch bays with things called "mults" that, you guessed it, multiply the signal (make copies)

If you're in a DAW that's like copying your track or sending it to a parallel bus and processing it with eq and/or compression. A very common practice.

OP, the 560 is a great eq. We have two at the studio, but I don't use them nearly as much as the 550s or the Neve 1081s we have. I'd say if you can get a decent price for it, you could probably find something you'd use a little more.