Apocalyptica

Infinite Void

New Metal Member
Sep 29, 2003
Boston, Ma
www.mercenary.dk
Was just reading the May issue of BW&BK, and was intrigued by the band Apocalyptica. Sounds pretty cool, maybe even a symphony on roids or something.

Anyone listen to them? Anyone a big fan? Can you suggest an album that I should try out as a newbie listener?

Thanks

I bought "Apocalyptica Plays Metallica by Four Cellos" several years ago. As a friend of mine liked to say, the purchase was for "reasearch purposes only".

The album is actually kind of cool. The Metallica songs are recognizable as you listen, so it's not like they stray from the melodies at all. Some of the low, speedy parts come across a little noisy on the cello though.

It sounds like you might like music that's "completely different", so you might like their stuff.

Totally worth checking out. Dont judge this band based only on their covers. They've evolved into their own thing, a completely awesome band with distortion (still cellos, but sound fucking killer) and a drummer (dave lombardo from slayer plays on a few tracks on the most recent two discs). I would say check out Reflections or self titled, and work your way back. Cult is pretty good, inquisition symphony is alright, metallica by four cellos is not that great.

theodyssey said:
Totally worth checking out. Dont judge this band based only on their covers. They've evolved into their own thing, a completely awesome band with distortion (still cellos, but sound fucking killer) and a drummer (dave lombardo from slayer plays on a few tracks on the most recent two discs). I would say check out Reflections or self titled, and work your way back. Cult is pretty good, inquisition symphony is alright, metallica by four cellos is not that great.

dude...you have to come back to the SX forum and screw with some of the new people we have on their!!!!

I used to be a pretty big fan. I owned all three of their albums they had out at the time untill sombody stole Cult from me. I consider them to be a novelty act... cool for a little while and cool to show some people but you get sick of it pretty quick and there never seems like a good time to bust out the albums just for general listening.

Mephistopheles said:
I used to be a pretty big fan. I owned all three of their albums they had out at the time untill sombody stole Cult from me. I consider them to be a novelty act... cool for a little while and cool to show some people but you get sick of it pretty quick and there never seems like a good time to bust out the albums just for general listening.

I have to 100% totally and completely disagree. Their first two discs were pretty much novelty only, and their third disc still had some of that, but by Reflections, they are their own band. They write killer songs just like any metal band and are just as serious. I realize what you are saying and you probably would call Finntroll or any other off the beaten path band a "novelty act", but fact is they are better than a lot of "real" bands out there.

I love 'em! I have everything they put out, but I highly recommend the 2 CD version of Cult. The 2nd CD has a couple songs re-done with vocals and I think they're two of the best songs they've ever done. I also highly recommend their live DVD. It's amazing how much energy they put into their performance and the live version of Inquisition Symphony is insane.

Apocalyptica is a very cool band to check out, especially if you like things a little different from the metal norm. Their interpretations of other artists' songs are cool, but "Reflections" really shows them stretching out. However, I suggest that you avoid its bonus tracks, as they have some horrible vocals (female Rammstein, anyone?). The main album tracks smoke.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

longshot9 said:
Go to their website and watch the video for Life Burns, very cool. Love the song.

http://www.apocalyptica.com/releases/index.php

Great video, but the dude who sings on that single (lauri or something?) is one ugly motherfucker. I thought it was an interesting choice for a singer in a metal project since The Rasmus is pretty much a pop band from what i've heard.