Apple/U2 collaborating on new music file format

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6258696/apple-u2-new-music-file-format-time

Those hints that U2 dropped last week -- "We’re collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed" -- seem to be more than just a promotional posture. Time is reporting this morning that U2 and Apple -- they of the free record that has, according to Billboard sources, been listened to (at least partially) 38 million times since it arrived in our iTunes libraries a week ago Tuesday -- are collaborating on a new music file format that will "prove so irresistibly exciting to music fans that it will tempt them again into buying music," Time's Catherine Mayer writes.

In Time's forthcoming cover story, Bono hints that the band's next record is "about 18 months away" and will be released under the new file format. "I think it’s going to get very exciting for the music business," Bono tells Time, "[it will be] an audiovisual interactive format for music that can’t be pirated and will bring back album artwork in the most powerful way, where you can play with the lyrics and get behind the songs when you’re sitting on the subway with your iPad or on these big flat screens. You can see photography like you’ve never seen it before."

Other than the above, details on the new technology are nonexistent (though more may arrive with Time's cover story), but the news is somewhat surprising in the wake of Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats and its Beats Music streaming service. It's a business model at odds with digital album purchasing (a la iTunes), and one that is widely assumed to be on the wane as consumers are increasingly driven towards the access, versus ownership, model.

U2 and Apple have an uphill battle. An industry report released in early July predicted that, by 2019, streaming will account for 71% of digital music revenue, with digital download revenue to drop 39% over the same period. With consumer behavior, and the record industry with it, predicted to pivot so dramatically towards access over ownership in the next five years, it's questionable whether a new file format, even a low-size, high-quality (and possibly locked down with a new, more flexible digital rights management technology) could reverse the tide.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The fact that Apple thinks U2 is still relevant to most music listeners is just incredibly cringe-inducing at this point, especially for a company that likes to think it's hip. I have literally never met anybody around my age cohort who really listens to U2.

But other than that, this also sounds stupid and gimmicky. idk, what do you guys think

I guess it's worth pointing out that apple and U2 have been doing collaborative marketing since iPod's became a thing but I agree with your greater point which is that their relevance is suspect at best since all of their best work came out in the mid-80's and since then they've been trolling us at peace summits and on commercials. That said, the big fumble on this was the automatic opt-in for people who (bafflingly) sync everything.
The greater concern to me is what hilarious blunder lays around the corner for itunes with this new format. I'm hopeful that they're just hyperbolically marketing high res audio with images but I fear they're building something hilariously more gimmicky like you said.

I think Bono needs to shut the fuck up and go shove his head up another politicians ass.

This thing reeks of something Microsoft would do thinking it was trendy. To bad Jobs isn't there anymore to tell Apple "yeah just don't."

I think I just read that the last U2 record before this was a giant floppy turd, so why on earth did apple give that bloated ego money to give away their shitty music for free?

392167160955829751751406912925366896047169641n.jpg

War was a good album though.

This sounds like a potentially good idea that might provide a much needed boost to those trying to survive on music. I hate that Assle is behind it but at least it is a step toward progress.

I still maintain that in the next decade or so the real money for musicians will be in the live show with superior visual effects and sound engineering.